nForce2 (Ultra) 400 and DDR module compatibility

Since the nForce2 (Ultra) 400 memory controller is known to be a bit picky
about the modules it will properly deal with, are there any first hand
experiences available here, about how well it can do with 512MB DDR400(+)
modules, which are built with either:

- 8× 512Mb-chips 64M (8k×2k×4bnk) × 8bit, single sided/banked or
- 8× 512Mb-chips 32M (8k×1k×4bnk) ×16bit, double sided/banked or
- 16× 256Mb-chips 64M (8k×2k×4bnk) × 4bit, single sided/banked or
- 16× 256Mb-chips 32M (8k×1k×4bnk) × 8bit, double sided/banked

What I understand so far, the first 2 variants are still very rare (those
chips by now are usually only used for 1 and 2GB modules), while the last
variant seems to be the most commonly offered one for the higher quality
6-layer no-names and brands, but apparently for cheap, 4-layer modules the
last but one version seems to be quite common.

Is this observation correct so far?

So how well then is it dealing in real life with 4-layer and 6-layer CL2,
CL2.5 and CL3 no-name modules, made with any those different chip
combinations and are there any significant differences in this respect
between the single and dual channel modes/versions and additionally also
with a mix of same sized but differently organised modules, according to the
above listing (which shouldn't, since there are two independent memory
controllers, one for each channel) for that controller?

Wolfi

Conor wrote:
> In article <c6mio7$dvj59$1@ID-196275.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> wolfi@despammed.com says...
>
>>Since the nForce2 (Ultra) 400 memory controller is known to be a bit picky
>>about the modules it will properly deal with, are there any first hand
>>experiences available here, about how well it can do with 512MB DDR400(+)
>>modules, which are built with either:
>>

> Why bother with the hassle?
>
> www.crucial.com.
> Use their memory selector and buy something it suggests as compatible.
> For me its not failed yet and if it does there's a no quibble refund
> policy.

I am/was just a bit reluctant to pay those additional 25% for the big brands
compared to (6-layer) bulkware.
This especially since I recently read reports in a web forum, that
apparently a few people had good experiences with those modules and the
nForce2, so I was interested in a wider real life experience.

Wolfi