2 routers for added security

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Would adding a wired router in front of my wireless router add security to
my wireless network? I read (from links given here) about segregated
networks using 2 routers. can this be done with just the routers? Is it
effective?
Thanks
Frank l

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

it is effective if you have a specific type of situation where you need to
segregate users on their own network segments. for most home, and even
general business, use it is overkill and just complicates the setup.

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Would adding a wired router in front of my wireless router add security to
> my wireless network? I read (from links given here) about segregated
> networks using 2 routers. can this be done with just the routers? Is it
> effective?
> Thanks
> Frank l

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dave,
I am trying to satisfy my paranoid mindset about setting up and using my
small wireless network. When working wireless (using laptop) I would not be
doing any security sensitive tasks. any Banking and such I would always do
using the desktop which is hardwired to the wireless router. So I am looking
for all options available to secure my wireless network. I will be using all
available security settings, including WPA.
Frank L

In article <en7$vvIdFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
<stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Would adding a wired router in front of my wireless router add security to
>my wireless network?

Adding a wired router won't add security to your wireless network. It
won't make any difference to someone who tries to intercept your
wireless signals and break into the wireless network.

>I read (from links given here) about segregated networks using 2 routers.
>can this be done with just the routers? Is it effective?

What networks are you trying to segregate from each other?

It isn't possible to completely segregate two groups of computers
using two routers. That requires three routers.

--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

too much paranoia... banking and such should always be secured with 128 bit
ssl anyway so even if over unencrypted wireless is still secure. adding wpa
just encrypts all the other stuff on top of that. personally i have a
single router that handles my isdn connection out and all the lan functions,
and just a wireless access point to feed the wireless part of the lan. this
avoids all the problems with a second router and having to figure out the
proper setup to let machines on each segment share stuff. a single router
that includes wireless would also be good since it would all be in one box,
but i already had the wired one before i wanted to add wireless.

> Dave,
> I am trying to satisfy my paranoid mindset about setting up and using my
> small wireless network. When working wireless (using laptop) I would not
> be doing any security sensitive tasks. any Banking and such I would always
> do using the desktop which is hardwired to the wireless router. So I am
> looking for all options available to secure my wireless network. I will be
> using all available security settings, including WPA.
> Frank L
>
> "Dave" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> it is effective if you have a specific type of situation where you need
>> to segregate users on their own network segments. for most home, and
>> even general business, use it is overkill and just complicates the setup.
>>
>> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> Would adding a wired router in front of my wireless router add security
>>> to my wireless network? I read (from links given here) about segregated
>>> networks using 2 routers. can this be done with just the routers? Is it
>>> effective?
>>> Thanks
>>> Frank l

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I guess I do not understand the security issues. I know the signal between
me and my bank is OK 128 bit.
I envision a hacker's data collection app on my network lying in wait
for me to type in or send some important info. So this is not the way of it?
I need to read about what it is hackers actually do. Do they leave sleeper
programs of sort? Even thought my info from my PC to my bank is encrypted,
wouldn 't a key logger on my pC p/u my id and password before it is sent?
So now you can see how ridiculously paranoid(or uninformed) I am. Any help
or reference to overcome this would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Frank L

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winograd@pobox.com> wrote in message
> In article <en7$vvIdFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Frank"
> <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>Would adding a wired router in front of my wireless router add security to
>>my wireless network?
>
> Adding a wired router won't add security to your wireless network. It
> won't make any difference to someone who tries to intercept your
> wireless signals and break into the wireless network.
>
>>I read (from links given here) about segregated networks using 2 routers.
>>can this be done with just the routers? Is it effective?
>
> What networks are you trying to segregate from each other?
>
> It isn't possible to completely segregate two groups of computers
> using two routers. That requires three routers.
>
>>Thanks
>>Frank l
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

if a keylogger is on your machine then no number of routers or encryption is
going to help, the hacker will have your information and will use your
secure network to send it to his collection site. to stop those you need
virus scanners, spyware scanners, etc, etc.

Frank wrote:
> I guess I do not understand the security issues. I know the signal between
> me and my bank is OK 128 bit.
> I envision a hacker's data collection app on my network lying in wait
> for me to type in or send some important info. So this is not the way of it?
> I need to read about what it is hackers actually do. Do they leave sleeper
> programs of sort? Even thought my info from my PC to my bank is encrypted,
> wouldn 't a key logger on my pC p/u my id and password before it is sent?
> So now you can see how ridiculously paranoid(or uninformed) I am. Any help
> or reference to overcome this would be greatly appreciated
> thanks
> Frank L

The truly paranoid can guard against key loggers by
'typing' passwords on the Onscreen Keyboard. Find it in All
Programs/Accessories/Accessibility or type osk.exe in the Run box.

It's the chip those aliens planted in my head
that bothers me.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK, I understand. I appreciate all the feedback, it really helps. I am
very,very (10 verys more) meticulous about setting up security (firewalls,
AV, etc) and monitoring it's status daily. So I see that I should be quite
safe following the guidelines and implementing all security options
available to me. For me, These would be Zonealarm, XP Pro SP2 firewall, NAV,
spywareguard 22, (great free program) adaware Pro(lavasoft, realtime) and
then WPA and everything else available for my linksys setup.Wrt54GS, WPC54G
Thanks so much for putting up with and responding to my concerns. That is
sincere.
Frank L

"John Coode" <faecius@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Frank wrote:
>> I guess I do not understand the security issues. I know the signal
>> between me and my bank is OK 128 bit.
>> I envision a hacker's data collection app on my network lying in wait
>> for me to type in or send some important info. So this is not the way of
>> it?
>> I need to read about what it is hackers actually do. Do they leave
>> sleeper programs of sort? Even thought my info from my PC to my bank is
>> encrypted, wouldn 't a key logger on my pC p/u my id and password before
>> it is sent?
>> So now you can see how ridiculously paranoid(or uninformed) I am. Any
>> help or reference to overcome this would be greatly appreciated
>> thanks
>> Frank L
>

> The truly paranoid can guard against key loggers by
> 'typing' passwords on the Onscreen Keyboard. Find it in All
> Programs/Accessories/Accessibility or type osk.exe in the Run box.
>
> It's the chip those aliens planted in my head
> that bothers me.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Do as you are: Concentrate more on the real threats. Learn what the threats
are and review.
IE anti virus, anti spyware, firewalls, file & OS security, not using Admin
accounts. Not surfing from admin accounts, not downloading from untrusted
sources, not opening suspicious emails, keeping systems patched, etc etc etc
etc.

When you done with all that and are *maintaining* it regularly, post back :)

Don't run 2 s/w firewalls at the same time on the same machine - it doesn't
work too well.

If you are well down this track, then I would look into proving your own
security so you can get a better understanding of what you have achieved and
what there is still to do.

> OK, I understand. I appreciate all the feedback, it really helps. I am
> very,very (10 verys more) meticulous about setting up security (firewalls,
> AV, etc) and monitoring it's status daily. So I see that I should be quite
> safe following the guidelines and implementing all security options
> available to me. For me, These would be Zonealarm, XP Pro SP2 firewall,
> NAV, spywareguard 22, (great free program) adaware Pro(lavasoft, realtime)
> and then WPA and everything else available for my linksys setup.Wrt54GS,
> WPC54G
> Thanks so much for putting up with and responding to my concerns. That is
> sincere.
> Frank L
>

> "John Coode" <faecius@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Frank wrote:
>>> I guess I do not understand the security issues. I know the signal
>>> between me and my bank is OK 128 bit.
>>> I envision a hacker's data collection app on my network lying in
>>> wait for me to type in or send some important info. So this is not the
>>> way of it?
>>> I need to read about what it is hackers actually do. Do they leave
>>> sleeper programs of sort? Even thought my info from my PC to my bank is
>>> encrypted, wouldn 't a key logger on my pC p/u my id and password before
>>> it is sent?
>>> So now you can see how ridiculously paranoid(or uninformed) I am. Any
>>> help or reference to overcome this would be greatly appreciated
>>> thanks
>>> Frank L
>>

>> The truly paranoid can guard against key loggers by
>> 'typing' passwords on the Onscreen Keyboard. Find it in All
>> Programs/Accessories/Accessibility or type osk.exe in the Run box.
>>
>> It's the chip those aliens planted in my head
>> that bothers me.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Good advice also. I am very cautious. Never had a virus, I believe because I
am so careful and aware. I am starting tonight with the wireless setup
mentioned before.
Thank you
Frank L