What's my best course of action?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows XP
installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
harddrive. My plan was to

Install 2nd drive as a slave
format this drive
remove old drive
make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the new
drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.

Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to conside.

I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on the
new drive.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

Sean Burke wrote:
> I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows
> XP installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
> harddrive. My plan was to
>
> Install 2nd drive as a slave
> format this drive
> remove old drive
> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
> install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the
> new drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.
>
> Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to
> conside.
>
> I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on
> the new drive.

I would do it in this order to save a few steps:

make new drive master and install brand new copy XP, formatting during
install
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP MCE

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

one catch.....winxp installation will detect existing windows xp
installation directories, on any primary partition.
leave the drive with xp already on it disconnected until you're done the
first couple of steps of the new install.

not a problem everytime, but usually is if you're in a hurry, or eager to
get finished.
That's when I seem to "twist off the most bolts" ...ha

"Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows XP
> installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
> harddrive. My plan was to
>
> Install 2nd drive as a slave
> format this drive
> remove old drive
> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
> install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the new
> drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.
>
> Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to conside.
>
> I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on the
> new drive.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sean

DisCo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

yep.. this is the most straight forward way

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

sounds fine but not sure why you need to bother with the first step when you
install XP you have the option to format the drive!
Just make it master old one slave and do the install if it needs any drivers
you can point it back to either the windows or system32 folder on the old
drive!

Wayne

"Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows XP
> installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
> harddrive. My plan was to
>
> Install 2nd drive as a slave
> format this drive
> remove old drive
> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
> install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the new
> drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.
>
> Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to conside.
>
> I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on the
> new drive.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sean

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

Why not just image/ghost the old drive onto the new, change the key to your
legit key using a key changer, and then wipe the old drive when done leaving
it for extra space.

No need to flatten, and no need to waste time reinstalling XP or the drivers
if it's already done. The legit version only differs in the fact that the
key is legitimate, the code is still the same identical code.

That's what I'd do.

"Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows XP
> installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
> harddrive. My plan was to
>
> Install 2nd drive as a slave
> format this drive
> remove old drive
> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
> install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the new
> drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.
>
> Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to conside.
>
> I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on the
> new drive.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sean

---

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

Actually, you have no way of knowing that the legit version only differs
with regard to the key. There's no way to be certain there aren't other
issues, you don't know the source of the cracked version, there could be
file corruptions and other anomalies and if he starts having issues, it
might be more difficult to source as the problem might actually be the
cracked version.

Safest course to follow would be to dump the cracked version.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"David K." <kingmelee@remove.nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Why not just image/ghost the old drive onto the new, change the key to
> your
> legit key using a key changer, and then wipe the old drive when done
> leaving
> it for extra space.
>
> No need to flatten, and no need to waste time reinstalling XP or the
> drivers
> if it's already done. The legit version only differs in the fact that the
> key is legitimate, the code is still the same identical code.
>
> That's what I'd do.
>
> "Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows XP
>> installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
>> harddrive. My plan was to
>>
>> Install 2nd drive as a slave
>> format this drive
>> remove old drive
>> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
>> install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the new
>> drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.
>>
>> Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to conside.
>>
>> I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on the
>> new drive.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Sean
>>

> ---

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

If he doesn't want to lose his apps and such, why not...

Do the key change and then just do an in-place reinstall (using the new
disk). After doing one this week I see that it appears to return the whole
shootin' match to it's original state, fresh off the disk, leaving all the
apps in place. He would have to go to the Windows Update site and download
SP1 and all the other updates again, but that's a heckuva lot easier if
there's a whole bunch of apps and plug-ins to reinstall (which could take
all of one's free time for a week or three!).

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
message news:OqPEo$hLEHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Actually, you have no way of knowing that the legit version only differs
> with regard to the key. There's no way to be certain there aren't other
> issues, you don't know the source of the cracked version, there could be
> file corruptions and other anomalies and if he starts having issues, it
> might be more difficult to source as the problem might actually be the
> cracked version.
>
> Safest course to follow would be to dump the cracked version.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "David K." <kingmelee@remove.nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Why not just image/ghost the old drive onto the new, change the key to
> > your
> > legit key using a key changer, and then wipe the old drive when done
> > leaving
> > it for extra space.
> >
> > No need to flatten, and no need to waste time reinstalling XP or the
> > drivers
> > if it's already done. The legit version only differs in the fact that
the
> > key is legitimate, the code is still the same identical code.
> >
> > That's what I'd do.
> >
> > "Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows
XP
> >> installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
> >> harddrive. My plan was to
> >>
> >> Install 2nd drive as a slave
> >> format this drive
> >> remove old drive
> >> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
> >> install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the
new
> >> drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.
> >>
> >> Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to conside.
> >>
> >> I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on
the
> >> new drive.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Sean
> >>

> > ---

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

"Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows XP
> installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
> harddrive. My plan was to
>
> Install 2nd drive as a slave
> format this drive
> remove old drive
> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP

Why bother? Just take out the old drive, put in the new one as master, and
reformat and install.

"Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
> If he doesn't want to lose his apps and such, why not...

The reason is "we don't know", and therefore you shouldn't do it. It might
work, but sometimes there are lingering problems from the registry, etc.etc.
etc. IME, it's ALWAYS best to start as fresh as possible. You are talking
about 45 minutes worth of work wasted if you're right, and hours and hours
wasted if you're wrong.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,nf.comp.misc (More info?)

I'm just saying, that down the road, if problems crop up, the user will have
no way of knowing if the problem is related to the cracked version
originally installed.

While there's no question there's more work involved in starting over and
having to reinstall everything at least it will rule out the original
cracked version as a potential cause of issues that may arise down the road.

Lose his apps? I assume you mean if he doesn't want to go to the trouble of
reinstalling his apps as they should only be lost from the hard drive in a
clean install, he still should have his setup disks to allow reinstalling
the applications. As to his data, that should be backed up anyway.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
> If he doesn't want to lose his apps and such, why not...
>
> Do the key change and then just do an in-place reinstall (using the new
> disk). After doing one this week I see that it appears to return the whole
> shootin' match to it's original state, fresh off the disk, leaving all the
> apps in place. He would have to go to the Windows Update site and download
> SP1 and all the other updates again, but that's a heckuva lot easier if
> there's a whole bunch of apps and plug-ins to reinstall (which could take
> all of one's free time for a week or three!).
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
> message news:OqPEo$hLEHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Actually, you have no way of knowing that the legit version only differs
>> with regard to the key. There's no way to be certain there aren't other
>> issues, you don't know the source of the cracked version, there could be
>> file corruptions and other anomalies and if he starts having issues, it
>> might be more difficult to source as the problem might actually be the
>> cracked version.
>>
>> Safest course to follow would be to dump the cracked version.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "David K." <kingmelee@remove.nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> > Why not just image/ghost the old drive onto the new, change the key to
>> > your
>> > legit key using a key changer, and then wipe the old drive when done
>> > leaving
>> > it for extra space.
>> >
>> > No need to flatten, and no need to waste time reinstalling XP or the
>> > drivers
>> > if it's already done. The legit version only differs in the fact that
> the
>> > key is legitimate, the code is still the same identical code.
>> >
>> > That's what I'd do.
>> >
>> > "Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> XP

> new

> the

>> > ---

Was the old hard drive using FAT32 or was it converted to NFTS?

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Sean Burke wrote:
> > I bought a second hand computer that has a cracked version of Windows
> > XP installed. I have purchased a legitimate copy of XP and also a new
> > harddrive. My plan was to
> >
> > Install 2nd drive as a slave
> > format this drive
> > remove old drive
> > make new drive master and install brand new copy XP
> > install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the
> > new drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date.
> >
> > Is this the best route to follow or is there something else to
> > conside.
> >
> > I realize that I will have to install all the drivers and programs on
> > the new drive.
>
> I would do it in this order to save a few steps:
>
> make new drive master and install brand new copy XP, formatting during
> install
> install old drive as a slave and copy over what can be copied to the new
> drive and possibly format old drive at a latter date
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP MCE
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Ralph D." <raldonn2@usaor.net> wrote in message
> If he doesn't want to lose his apps and such, why not...
>
> Do the key change and then just do an in-place reinstall (using the new
> disk). After doing one this week I see that it appears to return the whole
> shootin' match to it's original state, fresh off the disk, leaving all the
> apps in place. He would have to go to the Windows Update site and download
> SP1 and all the other updates again, but that's a heckuva lot easier if
> there's a whole bunch of apps and plug-ins to reinstall (which could take
> all of one's free time for a week or three!).
>

> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
> message news:OqPEo$hLEHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Actually, you have no way of knowing that the legit version only differs
> > with regard to the key. There's no way to be certain there aren't other
> > issues, you don't know the source of the cracked version, there could be
> > file corruptions and other anomalies and if he starts having issues, it
> > might be more difficult to source as the problem might actually be the
> > cracked version.
> >
> > Safest course to follow would be to dump the cracked version.
> >
> > --
> > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
> >
> > "David K." <kingmelee@remove.nf.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > > Why not just image/ghost the old drive onto the new, change the key to
> > > your
> > > legit key using a key changer, and then wipe the old drive when done
> > > leaving
> > > it for extra space.
> > >
> > > No need to flatten, and no need to waste time reinstalling XP or the
> > > drivers
> > > if it's already done. The legit version only differs in the fact that
> the
> > > key is legitimate, the code is still the same identical code.
> > >
> > > That's what I'd do.
> > >
> > > "Sean Burke" <burkey42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> XP

> new

> the

> > > ---

Aren't there "application movers" ?
There should be a route to go by such that he would install (freshly) his
legit XP on a brand new drive, hook up the older drive (with cracked XP and
apps) as slave/on another IDE channel, and transfer the apps to the new
installation ? I remember quarterdeck (later aqcuired by symantec, IIRC) had
something similar. don't know if it only worked within the windows
installation, from drive to drive, or also across installations.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

There may be some out there, as I've seen a few over the years but haven't
checked lately. However, if he's going to do that he might as well just
install over the cracked version and change the key because an app mover
runs the same risk of bringing broken or corrupt code into the new setup as
installing over the cracked version.