PNY 133mhz 256mb module/KT7A Raid

Hi folks,
According to the PNY web site, their 256 mb 133 mhz memory module is
supposed to be compatible with my Abit KT7A Raid board. I know the slots
owrk fine as I have tried a few different modules (non-PNY) in the board and
they work fine. I returned a PNY module and they sent me another and this
one doesn't work either. Does someone have any ideas on what it could be? I
called and they just gave me another rma #, but I'm not sure another module
will help. I made sure the module was seated properly, tired it in various
slots, etc, but all I get from it is the ol' single repeated beep if it is
by itself, or if another recognized ram module is in, it just gets ignored.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
scott
3 answers Last reply
More about 133mhz 256mb module kt7a raid

    The KT7A requires LOW density chips on SDRAM memory, PNY may have shipped
    you HIGH density chips. This usually results in only HALF the memory
    capacity showing (if you're lucky), or not working at all (if unlucky). If
    the PCB is single-sided, it's a sure sign you got HIGH density.

    What you really want is something like this:

    http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT32M64S4D7E&cat=RAM

    Jim

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message news:DVekc.1599$ph.1440@fed1read07...
    > The KT7A requires LOW density chips on SDRAM memory, PNY may have shipped
    > you HIGH density chips. This usually results in only HALF the memory
    > capacity showing (if you're lucky), or not working at all (if unlucky).
    If
    > the PCB is single-sided, it's a sure sign you got HIGH density.

    Hi Jim...the module is double sided.....8 chips on each side...hmmmm. Would
    a bios update help out maybe?
    Thanks,
    scott

    > "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote in message
    > > The KT7A requires LOW density chips on SDRAM memory, PNY may have
    shipped
    > > you HIGH density chips. This usually results in only HALF the memory
    > > capacity showing (if you're lucky), or not working at all (if unlucky).
    > If
    > > the PCB is single-sided, it's a sure sign you got HIGH density.
    > >
    > Hi Jim...the module is double sided.....8 chips on each side...hmmmm.
    Would
    > a bios update help out maybe?

    I guess it couldn't hurt! How old is it now? Btw, any specs on that PNY?
    A link to it maybe? Some details might clear up this low/high density
    issue. But being 256MB double-sided is a good sign (but not a guarantee).
    You do have to be VERY careful nowadays w/ PC133 SDRAM on older systems
    because of this potential problem, the old low-density stuff isn't being
    produced anymore (AFAIK), so it's real easy to end up w/ incompatible
    memory.

    Jim

    > Thanks,
    > scott