What is a good solid case that doesn't vibrate?

I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.

I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST cases. I
require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
3.5" bays for this project.

THANKS!
--Dan
5 answers Last reply
More about what good solid case doesn vibrate

    I believe the new Antec 160 case, if I remember correctly, is the model
    number that has the rubber isolated drive bays.

    --
    DaveW

    dg wrote:
    > I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
    > case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
    > vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.

    What did you use for motherboard standoffs?

    > I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST cases. I
    > require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
    > 3.5" bays for this project.
    >
    > THANKS!
    > --Dan

    I believe that the case came with machined metal, brass colored standoffs
    that threaded into the bottom of the case. Yeah, I am about 98% sure they
    were brass colored standoffs. I don't think the standoffs have anything to
    do with the vibrating, but I could be wrong, why do you ask?

    Thanks,
    --Dan

    dg wrote:
    > I believe that the case came with machined metal, brass colored standoffs
    > that threaded into the bottom of the case. Yeah, I am about 98% sure they
    > were brass colored standoffs. I don't think the standoffs have anything to
    > do with the vibrating, but I could be wrong, why do you ask?

    I used the type that push through into the motherboard and then slot
    into the back of the case. Metal ones, not the plastic kind, for one
    build. The vibration came from these. I bought some thin rubber backers
    at an electronics store and put these on the outside (behind the
    motherboard tray) between the motherboard tray and these standoffs and
    it killed the vibration I had attributed to the hard drive. I was only
    using one brass standoff for anchoring. you may wish to try rubber
    gromits for your hard drives to reduce vibration, assuming your case has
    the hard drives screwed into place, and isn't using a quick release type
    mechanism.

    > Thanks,
    > --Dan
    >
    > "sooky grumper" <sookygrumper@fishies_.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>dg wrote:
    >>
    >>>I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
    >>>case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
    >>>vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.
    >>
    >>What did you use for motherboard standoffs?
    >>

    >>>I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST
    >
    > cases. I
    >
    >>>require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
    >>>3.5" bays for this project.
    >>>
    >>>THANKS!
    >>>--Dan
    >>>

    >>--
    >>spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    In article <Xkvkc.3637$Z6.376@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>, dan_gus@hotmail.com
    says...
    > I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
    > case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
    > vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.
    >
    > I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST cases. I
    > require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
    > 3.5" bays for this project.

    I don't know of any that are really good, but the Antec Sonata are some other
    Antecs with rubber drive isolation grommets are better than average. A common
    problem area is vibration of the side panels. Touch one and you can tell if that
    is a problem. If so, a very effective fix is to stick on a piece of dynamat or
    equivalent. Available at your local car stereo installation joint.

Homebuilt Hardware Cases Systems