Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What is a good solid case that doesn't vibrate?

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 30, 2004 8:41:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.

I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST cases. I
require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
3.5" bays for this project.

THANKS!
--Dan
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2004 2:15:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I believe the new Antec 160 case, if I remember correctly, is the model
number that has the rubber isolated drive bays.

--
DaveW



"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xkvkc.3637$Z6.376@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
> case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
> vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.
>
> I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST cases.
I
> require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
> 3.5" bays for this project.
>
> THANKS!
> --Dan
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2004 6:05:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

dg wrote:
> I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
> case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
> vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.

What did you use for motherboard standoffs?

>
> I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST cases. I
> require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
> 3.5" bays for this project.
>
> THANKS!
> --Dan
>
>


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2004 6:05:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I believe that the case came with machined metal, brass colored standoffs
that threaded into the bottom of the case. Yeah, I am about 98% sure they
were brass colored standoffs. I don't think the standoffs have anything to
do with the vibrating, but I could be wrong, why do you ask?

Thanks,
--Dan

"sooky grumper" <sookygrumper@fishies_.com> wrote in message
news:40929614$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
> dg wrote:
> > I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
> > case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
> > vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.
>
> What did you use for motherboard standoffs?
>
> >
> > I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST
cases. I
> > require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
> > 3.5" bays for this project.
> >
> > THANKS!
> > --Dan
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 1, 2004 7:11:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

dg wrote:
> I believe that the case came with machined metal, brass colored standoffs
> that threaded into the bottom of the case. Yeah, I am about 98% sure they
> were brass colored standoffs. I don't think the standoffs have anything to
> do with the vibrating, but I could be wrong, why do you ask?

I used the type that push through into the motherboard and then slot
into the back of the case. Metal ones, not the plastic kind, for one
build. The vibration came from these. I bought some thin rubber backers
at an electronics store and put these on the outside (behind the
motherboard tray) between the motherboard tray and these standoffs and
it killed the vibration I had attributed to the hard drive. I was only
using one brass standoff for anchoring. you may wish to try rubber
gromits for your hard drives to reduce vibration, assuming your case has
the hard drives screwed into place, and isn't using a quick release type
mechanism.

>
> Thanks,
> --Dan
>
> "sooky grumper" <sookygrumper@fishies_.com> wrote in message
> news:40929614$1@quokka.wn.com.au...
>
>>dg wrote:
>>
>>>I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
>>>case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
>>>vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.
>>
>>What did you use for motherboard standoffs?
>>
>>
>>>I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST
>
> cases. I
>
>>>require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
>>>3.5" bays for this project.
>>>
>>>THANKS!
>>>--Dan
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>--
>>spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
>
>
>


--
spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 2, 2004 11:06:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

In article <Xkvkc.3637$Z6.376@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>, dan_gus@hotmail.com
says...
> I recently built a PC for myself using an Antec Performane Plus 1080AMG
> case. It is pretty nice, don't get me wrong, but it DOES have some
> vibration issues from spinning drives. Nothing major, but not perfect.
>
> I may build a new PC soon and would like some opinions on the BEST cases. I
> require at least 4 5.25" bays and I am sure any case has enough internal
> 3.5" bays for this project.
>

I don't know of any that are really good, but the Antec Sonata are some other
Antecs with rubber drive isolation grommets are better than average. A common
problem area is vibration of the side panels. Touch one and you can tell if that
is a problem. If so, a very effective fix is to stick on a piece of dynamat or
equivalent. Available at your local car stereo installation joint.
!