Dang, that's loud!

I bought a SuperFlower 350W PSU, and man it is quiet! It has three
settings: silent, auto and loud =) The second fan only comes on in the
loud mode. After hearing this, I thought that I was going to have a nice
quiet PC.

Well, once I turned on the computer, BAM the CPU fan came on. Dang, that's
loud! It's the stock CPU fan that came with my Athlon 2500+.

What are my choices for quieting this beast?

1. Lower the voltage to the fan? I've seen 12-7V adapters, or should I
actually use the Rheobus that I've got coming with the 2 other case fans
I've ordered.

2. Should I replace the CPU fan? I have a Vantec Stealth 80mm that I was
going to return since I found cheaper fans. Should I keep it? Will it fit
on the heatsink?

The intended use for the computer is a HTPC, so it would better if it were
quieter. I won't be sitting near the computer, which might end up being
hidden near the subwoofer, but I'd like the option of putting it next to
my stereo equipment since the case is fairly nice looking for $24.99 =)

Thanks,
Mike

Get some info here http://www.silentpcreview.com/ they aslo have a forum.

"Michael Chiu" <mikechiu@overlunch.com> wrote in message
> I bought a SuperFlower 350W PSU, and man it is quiet! It has three
> settings: silent, auto and loud =) The second fan only comes on in the
> loud mode. After hearing this, I thought that I was going to have a nice
> quiet PC.
>
> Well, once I turned on the computer, BAM the CPU fan came on. Dang, that's
> loud! It's the stock CPU fan that came with my Athlon 2500+.
>
> What are my choices for quieting this beast?
>
> 1. Lower the voltage to the fan? I've seen 12-7V adapters, or should I
> actually use the Rheobus that I've got coming with the 2 other case fans
> I've ordered.
>
> 2. Should I replace the CPU fan? I have a Vantec Stealth 80mm that I was
> going to return since I found cheaper fans. Should I keep it? Will it fit
> on the heatsink?
>
> The intended use for the computer is a HTPC, so it would better if it were
> quieter. I won't be sitting near the computer, which might end up being
> hidden near the subwoofer, but I'd like the option of putting it next to
> my stereo equipment since the case is fairly nice looking for $24.99 =)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

alex

I replaced my stock cooler (almost straight away) with a SLK-900U with a
92mm zalman fan on a 5 - 12v rheobus. Temps are usually about 45 degrees
under full load, and about 37 otherwise (at 5v on the fan). Less again if
12v is used. My pc is used for DVD's etc and it's hardly audible at all
(and it's sat at my feet).

This is my first PC box. What software should I use to get temperature info?

On Sat, 01 May 2004 21:44:32 +0000, Michael Chiu wrote:

> I bought a SuperFlower 350W PSU, and man it is quiet! It has three
> settings: silent, auto and loud =) The second fan only comes on in the
> loud mode. After hearing this, I thought that I was going to have a nice
> quiet PC.
>
> Well, once I turned on the computer, BAM the CPU fan came on. Dang, that's
> loud! It's the stock CPU fan that came with my Athlon 2500+.
>
> What are my choices for quieting this beast?
>
> 1. Lower the voltage to the fan? I've seen 12-7V adapters, or should I
> actually use the Rheobus that I've got coming with the 2 other case fans
> I've ordered.

The stock coolers aren't the best to start with. Actually, they're pretty
bad. I wouldn't try lowering there fan by much as it will probably drive
your cpu temp up.

> 2. Should I replace the CPU fan? I have a Vantec Stealth 80mm that I was
> going to return since I found cheaper fans. Should I keep it? Will it
> fit on the heatsink?

Just replace the whole cooler with something a little better and quieter.
An $8 TR2-M1 will work a lot better and quieter than the stock cooler.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

mikechiu@overlunch.com (Michael Chiu) wrote in

> This is my first PC box. What software should I use to get temperature
> info?
>
> In article <c71813$4ic$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Alex"
> <Freeflyer91@hotmail.com.NOSPAM> wrote:
>
>> I replaced my stock cooler (almost straight away) with a SLK-900U
>> with a 92mm zalman fan on a 5 - 12v rheobus. Temps are usually about
>> 45 degrees under full load, and about 37 otherwise (at 5v on the
>> fan). Less again if 12v is used. My pc is used for DVD's etc and
>> it's hardly audible at all (and it's sat at my feet).

Motherboard monitor:

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/