Shuttle XPC SB65G2 as HTPC

Hi experts,

I am setting my eyes on a Shutttle XPC SB65G2 barebone PC
and planning to build a HTPC on top of it. The configuration is
going to be P4 2.8C, 512 MB DDR400, 160 GB WD HD,
and a ATI AIW 7500.

My goal is use this box to record TV shows periodically. And use
it as music/file server. I want to keep the unit on all the time.

I have the following questions:
1. Is it okay to leave it on all the time just like people do to their
desktop PCs?
2. How good is the onboard WIFI? Should I purchase a separate
USB 11g card to improve the performance? Is it reliable(no interruption)
to serve all network traffic wirelessly?
3. Any comments on the noise level? Can I put it behind a cabinet door
to reduce the noise?

Thanks in advance for all you help,
Eugene

> I am setting my eyes on a Shutttle XPC SB65G2 barebone PC

> I have the following questions:
> 1. Is it okay to leave it on all the time just like people do to their
> desktop PCs?

At work we have a number of Shuttle boxes (30?) that are on 24 hours a day,
7 days a week, 6 months on and so far we have had no problems at all with
them

> 2. How good is the onboard WIFI? Should I purchase a separate
> USB 11g card to improve the performance? Is it reliable(no interruption)
> to serve all network traffic wirelessly?

No idea on WIFI, we use CAT 5e cable on all of our network.

> 3. Any comments on the noise level? Can I put it behind a cabinet door
> to reduce the noise?

Noise is not a problem with the boxes, although we did go with fanless video
cards.

Adam S

For 24/7, I suggest an UPS box, and more than 250 w. You may want to
put your cable modem ?? on it.

Will that box handle more than 512 MB? More memory is always better and
the cheapest upgrade.

For reliability I suggest cat 5 or better. Some WiFi is subject to RFI
from microwave ovens.

I am not happy with any PC in a cabinet.