Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

** Best price/performance CPU for the Intel 875P chipset? **

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Chipsets
  • CPUs
  • Performance
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2004 11:56:29 PM

Greetings,

I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
CPU for the 875P chipset.

P4C800-E Deluxe:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/ov...

I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.

Thanks,
Jim

More about : price performance cpu intel 875p chipset

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2004 6:15:34 PM

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

> Greetings,
>
> I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
> would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
> CPU for the 875P chipset.
>
> P4C800-E Deluxe:
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/ov...
>
> I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Well your best value would be a P4 3.0 (the 1M cache version) if you buy
*today*. Might change next week. :)  One good vendor link follows. -Dave

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA200...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
May 4, 2004 9:59:41 PM

JH wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
> would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
> CPU for the 875P chipset.
>
> P4C800-E Deluxe:
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/ov...
>
> I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.

Using Newegg.com, the P4 2.8C Northwood (retail) for $178USD looks like the
best deal. The P4 3.0C Northwood (retail) is $220USD.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit...
+&Order=priceD
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
May 5, 2004 1:24:55 AM

I went with the 3.2ghz p4 for $280 a few weeks back, it was the fastest
processor I could buy without paying WAY more money. The next step up was
~$440 for the 3.4 followed by the 3.4EE at $1000. The 3.2ghz P4 seemed like
the best bang for the buck.

--Dan

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

> Greetings,
>
> I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
> would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
> CPU for the 875P chipset.
>
> P4C800-E Deluxe:
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/ov...
>
> I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
May 5, 2004 1:27:17 AM

In article <HSTlc.44975$eN7.19395@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
dan_gus@hotmail.com says...
> I went with the 3.2ghz p4 for $280 a few weeks back, it was the fastest
> processor I could buy without paying WAY more money. The next step up was
> ~$440 for the 3.4 followed by the 3.4EE at $1000. The 3.2ghz P4 seemed like
> the best bang for the buck.
>
> --Dan
>
> <JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
> > would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
> > CPU for the 875P chipset.
> >
> > P4C800-E Deluxe:
> > http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/ov...
> >
> > I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim

I have ths same motherboard with the P4 3.2 and I am quite happy.
Running XP Pro, ATI Sapphire 9600 Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS and a
Seagate SATA hard drive. 1024 Kingston 3200 memory.

I am comparing this with my old Dell 8200 with a P4 2.8, but a 533 FSB
rather than the new (Asus 800 FSB). The Dell also had RDRAM and an EIDE
hard drive.

Louise