** Best price/performance CPU for the Intel 875P chipset? **

Greetings,

I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
CPU for the 875P chipset.

P4C800-E Deluxe:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM

I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.

Thanks,
Jim
4 answers Last reply
More about price performance intel 875p chipset

    <JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
    > would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
    > CPU for the 875P chipset.
    >
    > P4C800-E Deluxe:
    > http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM
    >
    > I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

    Well your best value would be a P4 3.0 (the 1M cache version) if you buy
    *today*. Might change next week. :) One good vendor link follows. -Dave

    http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA20053

    JH wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
    > would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
    > CPU for the 875P chipset.
    >
    > P4C800-E Deluxe:
    > http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM
    >
    > I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.

    Using Newegg.com, the P4 2.8C Northwood (retail) for $178USD looks like the
    best deal. The P4 3.0C Northwood (retail) is $220USD.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=property&catalog=343&mfrcode=0&propertycodevalue=4186&keywords=&minprice=&maxprice=&description=
    +&Order=priceD

    I went with the 3.2ghz p4 for $280 a few weeks back, it was the fastest
    processor I could buy without paying WAY more money. The next step up was
    ~$440 for the 3.4 followed by the 3.4EE at $1000. The 3.2ghz P4 seemed like
    the best bang for the buck.

    --Dan

    In article <HSTlc.44975$eN7.19395@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>,
    dan_gus@hotmail.com says...
    > I went with the 3.2ghz p4 for $280 a few weeks back, it was the fastest
    > processor I could buy without paying WAY more money. The next step up was
    > ~$440 for the 3.4 followed by the 3.4EE at $1000. The 3.2ghz P4 seemed like
    > the best bang for the buck.
    >
    > --Dan
    >
    > <JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Greetings,
    > >
    > > I am building a system around the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard. I
    > > would like to get some recommendations on the best price/performance
    > > CPU for the 875P chipset.
    > >
    > > P4C800-E Deluxe:
    > > http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM
    > >
    > > I would really appreciate a link to your recommendation.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jim

    I have ths same motherboard with the P4 3.2 and I am quite happy.
    Running XP Pro, ATI Sapphire 9600 Pro, Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS and a
    Seagate SATA hard drive. 1024 Kingston 3200 memory.

    I am comparing this with my old Dell 8200 with a P4 2.8, but a 533 FSB
    rather than the new (Asus 800 FSB). The Dell also had RDRAM and an EIDE
    hard drive.

    Louise

Homebuilt Chipsets CPUs Performance Systems Product