What is good Gaming Laptop?

G

HI all. I am looking to buy a latop in Febuary or March and would like some input on where I can get a good laptop with a high end graphics card on it. I want to be able to play newer 3d games on it. Right now i am looking at the Dell 8100. It has an option for a Radeon 7500 DDR 64mb AGP4x card. I read here that Toshiba will be releasing laptops with a Geforce 3 in Febuary. I went to Toshiba's site and they have very little configuring options unlike Dell. Thank you for your time.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I'd go for the Dell.
1)If you look at Benchmarks, you can see that the Radeon 7500 comes almost tie with the GeForce3.
2)Dell ALWAYS come out with the latest technology first, so they will have the best
3)I don't think that there will be a GF3 for laptops, maybe you misunderstood it for the nVidia M17.

You can configure Dells much more easily

"The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a beer bottle, they're on TV."

ycs46241

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2001
Starting at $1,299.00** or $37.00/month.†
• For a limited time, get a FREE additional Li-Ion battery and carrying case with a 1700 or 2700 notebook purchase.
• Redefines Power, Freedom, and Design
• Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
• Mobile Intel® Pentium® III processors with Enhanced Speedstep™ technology - up to 1.2GHz-M.
• FutureBay II optional dual optical or dual battery.
• ATI Mobility Radeon™ accelerated 3D Graphics with up to 32MB modular video memory.
• IEEE 1394 Digital Video port.
• Up to a 15” UXGA Active Matrix Displ

<A HREF="http://athome.compaq.com/store/default.asp?page=families&ProductLineId=440" target="_new">http://athome.compaq.com/store/default.asp?page=families&ProductLineId=440</A>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
But the Compaq only has a Mobile Radeon (Not even comparable to the GF2GO or M7 of dell)

"The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a beer bottle, they're on TV."

Skull_Angel

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
The Dell's best laptop offering hass the ATI 7500 mobility with 64 megs of RAM. Toshiba offers a Geforce 4 Go(if I read correctly it's really an evolutionary improvement of the Geforce 2 Go and not really comparable to NVidia's new Geforce 4ti), which has a better set of features but only 32 megs.

I would go with either of those if you had to have a laptop right now. If you can wait, see if anyone will offer the Geforce 4 Go with 64 megs of RAM later on. If you want a good gaming laptop then the Graphics chipset is the primary concern. I would consider the Geforce 4 Go or the ATI 7500 mobility only. Any lesser offerings will probably be unsatisfactory compared a desktop computer imho.

iRonLung

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I just heard about those Geforce4 go's on toshiba laptops. I owned a Toshiba with a Geforce2 Go w/ 16mb of sdram and it was OK, i could still cap on Quake3 and a friend used it at a CS tourney once! But nothing like a desktop, can't even compair to my p3 533 with a vodoo 3000. Also, anyone know the clock speeds of the ram and the GPU on the Geforce2go or M7 ?
iRon