Sign in with
Your question

Which are better?

Last response: in Cars

which are better twin turbos or superchargers?

Total: 0 vote

• Twin Turbo
  • 0 %
  • Supercharger
  • 0 %
July 11, 2011 3:01:21 AM

which are better twin turbo or supercharger

More about : question

July 13, 2011 7:53:23 PM

Poll is closed already?

Without more details (since one option is TWIN turbos I assume you mean on a V8?) I would have to go with the classic supercharger. There is NOTHING like the sound of straight-cut gears revving up. . .
July 24, 2011 2:38:42 AM

well it really comes down to what you want to build and your preferences , turbos are amazing in the sense that they make boost of the exhaust flow which really is like making something from nothing , but they can lag . now a super charger is produces instant boost right off of idle pretty much , but it creates drag on the engine at all times , in alot of ways turbo's are better suited for a sleeper or street machine and i suppose a super charger might be better for a more hard core machine .
Related resources
August 6, 2011 6:33:17 AM

I'd take a supercharger over a turbo anyday. Turbo's lag, you start slow and until you rev up high you don't get that torque boost. So a turbo absolutely blows for push off and early acceleration.

Supercharger is instant, so its the same as a naturally aspirated engine, you have all your torque instantly.

You can solve the problem of lag, by having less powerful turbo's in a larger quantity. So instead of 1 single large turbo, have 4 smaller ones.

My vote=supercharger
August 6, 2011 3:13:04 PM

My vote=supercharger
November 29, 2011 10:55:18 AM

If you're putting it on a Mustang? Kenne Bell or Vortech.
December 1, 2011 12:45:59 AM

There`s way too many variables to answer this properly. For a V8 mustang I`d go with everyone else and get a supercharger. With turbo technology now VG turbos can make big power and not have the turbo lag they used to have but it will be more work to install them vs a supercharger.
January 10, 2012 3:05:57 AM

superchargers have no lag but less boost turbos have lag but more boost depends what you lke and what your doing with it
January 16, 2012 3:25:47 AM

You can make a supercharger or turbocharger create as much boost as you want...your limits are only to whats available and whether your car can handle it. Turbos may have less lag...but when you are trying to achieve good 1/4 mile and 0-60 times then every single nano second counts.

January 16, 2012 11:30:54 PM

Exactly right blackhawk. Now a supercharger running 30 pounds of boost is going to draw a lot of hp from the crank where a turbo draws none so there is that benefit for the turbo there. To get rid of the lag a variable geometric turbo will provide boost at a low rpm, look at the vw 2l turbo which makes peak torque at 1800rpm. Those turbos are expensive though. I saw a 300zx that had a nitrous setup to give the engine a 100hp shot when floored under 3500rpm to try compensate for the lag which seemed to work pretty well. If you really want you can have both. There are older diesels that are supercharged and turbocharged, that`s where the name intercooler came from because the cooler was between the turbo and supercharger on the detroits they first came one.
January 16, 2012 11:58:13 PM

i still stand by it depends what im doing
January 17, 2012 11:20:12 PM

I agree that it depends on what you want to do. I'd rarely supercharge an older four cylinder or v6. The new ones with direct injection I probably would but again it depends on what I'm doing with it. My SR20 that I'm rebuilding right now is getting a turbo, granted it was turbocharged before. The 280z it's going in is going to be a weekend warrior for me and it'll always see high rpms so a turbo is the right choice. If I was building an off road vehicle then a supercharger would be my choice because you want that low end torque.

January 17, 2012 11:32:43 PM

how much id love a s10 with a custom dropped 454 with a lift kit boggers and a snorkel lol
January 18, 2012 12:02:47 AM

About 9 years ago we did a '68 international scout up as a mudder. It was a full frame off and we put a 345 v8 out of a grain truck in it. That was one of the nicest vehicles I have ever seen. It was painted copperhead orange with a 10" lift and 42" tires on it. Granted a 454 S10 would kill it power wise but that scout just looked incredible. I almost felt bad seeing it rip down an old lease road.
January 18, 2012 12:52:23 AM

well one way another can only go so fast out in the woods lol
January 18, 2012 12:56:22 AM

Some places where I go you do not want to go to fast. Break through the muskeg and you'll lose the vehicle. People have sunk semis, bulldozers, and excavators in that stuff. I've had to climb through windows to get out more than once in my life but at least I've gotten good with a winch.
January 18, 2012 1:17:23 AM

remind me of this one time was at a muddin event my uncle had a full stock truck he came in third againt 1000hp machines that had money poured into them,did exactly what you said went to fast through the first mud hole
January 18, 2012 1:34:36 AM

I see that all the time. There are way to many idiots with a lot of money. Up here where I live there are a lot of kids with a lot of expendable income. The average rigpig up here makes over 80k a year. They all buy lifted up F250s. I've gone by more than one stuck in my old dodge 2500. In no way is my truck close to how good theirs are.
January 18, 2012 1:41:43 AM

lol perfect example of it isnt the ride its the rider
January 23, 2012 6:45:01 PM

All this turbo/supercharger talk in regards to low end torque is cool...until you have BMW engineers that somehow make the new M5 output 500lb-ft torque at like 1700rpms with an ultra complex turbocharging and tuned 4.4L V8 engine...which launch it to 60mph in 3.7 and let it pass a 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds making it by far the fastest stock sedan on earth. Thats serious german engineering.
January 23, 2012 7:19:21 PM

id rather have a supra or miata and put the money id have left over into it then buy a 60k bmw lol
January 23, 2012 9:57:24 PM

You would rather have a peice of scrap metal put on some rubber circles that are so called tires rather then have THE single fastest, most advanced, most well designed, most well balanced, most prestigious sedan on planet earth?

Mind-Boggling Logic...
January 23, 2012 10:06:23 PM

take a miata put a ls1 strait back exaust twin turbo 5 speed with a suspension kit hyperchip zrated tired 200lbs over the back axel, id rather have a custom car i built myself that holds its own against lambos and ferarris than buy a bmw for 60k who someone else built. idk if its just me but id have more fun with the miata and id apreciate it more than if i just baught a car and it would still be cheaper than the beamer
January 23, 2012 11:46:57 PM

It's not ultra complicated. Direct injection and variable geometric turbos. A variable geometric turbo has vanes in it that move making it a small turbo at low rpms and a large turbo at high rpms. They've been used on diesels for a while now. I'm not knocking the M5 in any which way but a lot of companies are doing it now. I feel that the VW 2.5l is more impressive. That has 340hp and has 332ft/lb of torque ate 1600rpm. This is the beauty of the new tech being used now. What I really want to see is a camless engine being used. Cat had a few prototype diesels with no cam but they found it was too exensive and I heard Ducatti has a camless motorcycle engine in the works. That means a different cam profile for all rpm ranges which will make a pretty interesting power range when added to the previous tech.
January 24, 2012 7:06:36 PM

robthatguyx said:
take a miata put a ls1 strait back exaust twin turbo 5 speed with a suspension kit hyperchip zrated tired 200lbs over the back axel, id rather have a custom car i built myself that holds its own against lambos and ferarris than buy a bmw for 60k who someone else built. idk if its just me but id have more fun with the miata and id apreciate it more than if i just baught a car and it would still be cheaper than the beamer

You think you can take any car...slap an exhuast and turbo in it and be on your way?...You'd have to replace your flywheel, clutch to prevent slip, you'd need to buy stronger parts for just about everything in your chassis if you add any sort of significant amount of boost to the engine which id say is a minimum of 9psi for a truly MAJOR boost.A new transmission and such would also be required most likely. Not to mention if you want any of your mods to work/last without falling apart (like falling apart after you first major turn on a track) you would need need to get high quality parts from good brands which is expensive and at which point you'd just easily buy the bmw at the same price IMO.

wip99gt said:
It's not ultra complicated. Direct injection and variable geometric turbos. A variable geometric turbo has vanes in it that move making it a small turbo at low rpms and a large turbo at high rpms. They've been used on diesels for a while now. I'm not knocking the M5 in any which way but a lot of companies are doing it now. I feel that the VW 2.5l is more impressive. That has 340hp and has 332ft/lb of torque ate 1600rpm. This is the beauty of the new tech being used now. What I really want to see is a camless engine being used. Cat had a few prototype diesels with no cam but they found it was too exensive and I heard Ducatti has a camless motorcycle engine in the works. That means a different cam profile for all rpm ranges which will make a pretty interesting power range when added to the previous tech.

I know how it works, I just think its impressive and interesting to admire. You also know what Vanos is right?
The VW 2.5l is impressive I agree...but there is no limits. Formula 1 engines are completely naturally aspirated 2.4L engines that output 700-900hp easily (given the fact they rev to like 20k rpm's but nevertheless). Its all about proper tuning and engineering perfection.
January 24, 2012 7:24:09 PM

i know all of that stuff, even with all that i know how to install and custom make parts, it would still be cheaper than the bmw
January 24, 2012 11:29:59 PM

I think you two are arguing about two completely different vehicles. You can easily make a faster car for less than the BMW but it won't have heated/cooled/massaging seats, sit five people comfortably, have all the cool bmw tech, etc. Also the BMW comes with a warranty and dealers to service it. The hopped up car can be a higher performing car for less and you will have the pride of doing it yourself vs signing some papers. It's two very different things and an argument which will never be won. And Blackhawk I do respect the new M5 but the last model with the V10 had a much sweeter exhaust note, and comes with the right to say you own a BMW V10.
January 25, 2012 7:20:40 PM

The exhaust note could be changed to whatever you want it to be with a custom exhaust system. Without exhausts all engines no matter what sound like WWII...then exhausts with various acoustic properties as well as mufflers are made to create a quieter sound.

I do agree...I personally prefer a larger and higher rpm engine rather then a smaller induction based engine. I guess I'm oldschool. However a 4.4 V8 is no slouch...its still not a 6er or an inline 4...a V8 is still prestigious...it powers most race cars and muscle cars.

Not to mention the new F10 can destroy the E60 V10 in a drag race :) .
E60: 0-60=4.1seconds
F10: 0-60=3.7seconds
January 25, 2012 11:53:28 PM

Of yeah the new M5 is a beast. It's just gotten to the point with cars like that where 0-60 times almost don't even matter. That power is almost useless to most people, which is a pity, because most buy them for image now. Those of us who lust over those cars can rarely afford them. Yes the exhaust note can be changed but the amount of cylinders and firing pattern of an engine does have an affect on sound. If I was going purely on sound for a beemer I'd get an 850 with the V12 and a Dinan exhaust. My dream beemer will always be the E30 M3 with an N54B30. My brother would kill me if I bought one and did the engine swap but it's a dream car so screw him.
January 26, 2012 12:02:19 AM

e30m3s are very nice
January 26, 2012 12:23:16 AM

The coolest ugly car of all time
January 26, 2012 2:36:05 AM

i dont think there all that bad looking lol
January 26, 2012 6:55:35 PM

0-60 times may be useless to most people and not matter...but sometimes having good power is very useful on the road. It allows quick passing if you need to, safe merging into highways during short acceleration lanes...etc.

Oh and Dinan modifications for intakes like cold air intakes and exhuasts are mostly useless. Their software, forced induction, throttle body mods are better and vary in effectiveness for different cars.

However, BMW's are very well tuned on stock...their intakes and exhausts are already practically optimal for any street legal use. Other then the sound, hp increases will be marginal at best and only at ridiculously high rpm's with a questionably noticeable difference.
January 27, 2012 1:58:13 AM

Most cars see little hp gains with intakes and exhaust now. Be it a performance increase or not a BMW v12 with a dinan exhaust sounds amazing. I've seen diesel trucks lose horsepower from cold air intakes as well. With my CTS I saw a 2 mpg increase with intake and exhaust of course it didn't feel any faster. I built my own intake though with the same design as a volante one.
January 27, 2012 2:47:46 AM

ive always liked the gt3s exaust note as well as the lexus lfa's
January 27, 2012 11:27:00 PM

I was talking strictly about bmw exhaust notes earlier but yeah the GT3 has that chainsaw like wail to it at high rpms. The lexus LFA sounds like an angry indie car when it revs. It just revs so damn quickly. I heard that's why there's a digital tach in there, no analog one can keep up with it. I also always like a big block with a lumpy cam. The way they have that rough low idle is pretty sweet.
Every year up here for the Edmonton Indy I get the pleasure of having a Maserati MC12, Ferrari Enxo FXX, and multiple Lambos and Ferraris parked in my parkade so all I hear all week are great engine noises. I don't think the Enzo will be here this year, the owner dumped it in a river. He'll just take his girlfriends 680hp F430 up instead.

Here's the vid of the crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaMkT1Dk6xQ
January 27, 2012 11:40:23 PM

lol in a comment they say there will be 20 cars this year including the enzo
January 28, 2012 12:32:02 AM

At the show but in the city there is a lot more during that weekend. Hell last year on the Saturday I bet there were 10 Lambos alone near my house at one given time. I had a good video of a Murcielago SV vs a Vette from last year but I can't find it. The vette won, it was obviously supercharged because you could hear the whine and the belt chirp when he changed gears. The lamdo driver is not a good driver as well. I saw him hit a curb trying to back in to a parking space and he almost hit a truck another time showing off in front of a night club. Like what we were talking about earlier with stupid people with too much money.
January 28, 2012 1:25:53 AM

man i wish i lived where they have supercars alot lol,i see vettes everyones in a while a lotus viper or gtr . when im closer to the bigger citys i see enzos but thats about it.
January 28, 2012 4:05:33 AM

wip99gt said:
I was talking strictly about bmw exhaust notes earlier but yeah the GT3 has that chainsaw like wail to it at high rpms. The lexus LFA sounds like an angry indie car when it revs. It just revs so damn quickly. I heard that's why there's a digital tach in there, no analog one can keep up with it. I also always like a big block with a lumpy cam. The way they have that rough low idle is pretty sweet.
Every year up here for the Edmonton Indy I get the pleasure of having a Maserati MC12, Ferrari Enxo FXX, and multiple Lambos and Ferraris parked in my parkade so all I hear all week are great engine noises. I don't think the Enzo will be here this year, the owner dumped it in a river. He'll just take his girlfriends 680hp F430 up instead.

Here's the vid of the crash:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaMkT1Dk6xQ

In regards to the LFA revving high quickly...during driving, thats probably due some ridiculously high gear ratio, and when its in neutral its most likely due to a very light flywheel that it can gain rpm's at a fast rate.
January 28, 2012 5:03:52 AM

one way or another the lfa catches my eye like no other car has before just its ..sheen? doesnt remind me of any car except itself
January 28, 2012 1:58:22 PM

You're right with the extremely light flywheel. The V10 also has a very short stroke which also gives it the 9500 rpm redline. If I remember the block is at around a 70 degree angle which will help as it will be a more balanced engine. Toyota pretty much copied F1 cars engine designs.

January 28, 2012 5:38:24 PM

i dont think thats so much a bad thing makes for a unique engine lol
January 30, 2012 8:30:39 PM

Personally...it doesn't make a shred of sense. Who in their right mind would spend 400K on a Lexus...when you get many ferarri's, lamborghini's, and porsches for cheaper/faster. It is at a supercar price yet does not put out supercar numbers. It does 0-60 in about 3.6seconds and close to 12s 1/4 mile times. You can get an R8 that would put out similar numbers for 1/3 of the price. For 400k there are much better supercars out there to spend on IMO, especially from better brands.

Honestly...I believe the Lamborghini Aventador is around the same price as this Lexus...however it is much more refined, much faster, has leagues better handling and lastly...its a Lamborghini, not a Lexus, which alone is worth it. And wip99gt, you get to hear what a 6.5L V12 sounds like. Beats out any V10 or V8 IMO :) .
January 30, 2012 10:42:54 PM

honestly id never spend 400k on a car even if i was rich its not worth it at all lol for 80 i can buy a brandnew 2012 gtr
January 31, 2012 12:35:56 AM

I'm happy those cars are out there but yeah I'd take a 458 for half the price anyday. The Aventador is pretty awesome though. You know it has a good Audi powertrain and Lamborghini 'punch you in the face' styling. Have you seen the roadster images? It has got to be the sickest car ever.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/first/2013-lamb...
January 31, 2012 1:15:16 AM

remind me of some of the older hotwheels cars before they started making alot more reallife cars lol
January 31, 2012 7:02:08 PM

I like the aventador for its NATURALLY ASPIRATED 6.5L Monster V12 engine.
!