Which are better?

which are better twin turbos or superchargers?

• Total voters
Poll is closed already?

Without more details (since one option is TWIN turbos I assume you mean on a V8?) I would have to go with the classic supercharger. There is NOTHING like the sound of straight-cut gears revving up. . .

jacobboe89

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
well it really comes down to what you want to build and your preferences , turbos are amazing in the sense that they make boost of the exhaust flow which really is like making something from nothing , but they can lag . now a super charger is produces instant boost right off of idle pretty much , but it creates drag on the engine at all times , in alot of ways turbo's are better suited for a sleeper or street machine and i suppose a super charger might be better for a more hard core machine .

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I'd take a supercharger over a turbo anyday. Turbo's lag, you start slow and until you rev up high you don't get that torque boost. So a turbo absolutely blows for push off and early acceleration.

Supercharger is instant, so its the same as a naturally aspirated engine, you have all your torque instantly.

You can solve the problem of lag, by having less powerful turbo's in a larger quantity. So instead of 1 single large turbo, have 4 smaller ones.

My vote=supercharger

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
There`s way too many variables to answer this properly. For a V8 mustang I`d go with everyone else and get a supercharger. With turbo technology now VG turbos can make big power and not have the turbo lag they used to have but it will be more work to install them vs a supercharger.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
You can make a supercharger or turbocharger create as much boost as you want...your limits are only to whats available and whether your car can handle it. Turbos may have less lag...but when you are trying to achieve good 1/4 mile and 0-60 times then every single nano second counts.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Exactly right blackhawk. Now a supercharger running 30 pounds of boost is going to draw a lot of hp from the crank where a turbo draws none so there is that benefit for the turbo there. To get rid of the lag a variable geometric turbo will provide boost at a low rpm, look at the vw 2l turbo which makes peak torque at 1800rpm. Those turbos are expensive though. I saw a 300zx that had a nitrous setup to give the engine a 100hp shot when floored under 3500rpm to try compensate for the lag which seemed to work pretty well. If you really want you can have both. There are older diesels that are supercharged and turbocharged, that`s where the name intercooler came from because the cooler was between the turbo and supercharger on the detroits they first came one.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I agree that it depends on what you want to do. I'd rarely supercharge an older four cylinder or v6. The new ones with direct injection I probably would but again it depends on what I'm doing with it. My SR20 that I'm rebuilding right now is getting a turbo, granted it was turbocharged before. The 280z it's going in is going to be a weekend warrior for me and it'll always see high rpms so a turbo is the right choice. If I was building an off road vehicle then a supercharger would be my choice because you want that low end torque.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
About 9 years ago we did a '68 international scout up as a mudder. It was a full frame off and we put a 345 v8 out of a grain truck in it. That was one of the nicest vehicles I have ever seen. It was painted copperhead orange with a 10" lift and 42" tires on it. Granted a 454 S10 would kill it power wise but that scout just looked incredible. I almost felt bad seeing it rip down an old lease road.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Some places where I go you do not want to go to fast. Break through the muskeg and you'll lose the vehicle. People have sunk semis, bulldozers, and excavators in that stuff. I've had to climb through windows to get out more than once in my life but at least I've gotten good with a winch.

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
remind me of this one time was at a muddin event my uncle had a full stock truck he came in third againt 1000hp machines that had money poured into them,did exactly what you said went to fast through the first mud hole

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
I see that all the time. There are way to many idiots with a lot of money. Up here where I live there are a lot of kids with a lot of expendable income. The average rigpig up here makes over 80k a year. They all buy lifted up F250s. I've gone by more than one stuck in my old dodge 2500. In no way is my truck close to how good theirs are.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
All this turbo/supercharger talk in regards to low end torque is cool...until you have BMW engineers that somehow make the new M5 output 500lb-ft torque at like 1700rpms with an ultra complex turbocharging and tuned 4.4L V8 engine...which launch it to 60mph in 3.7 and let it pass a 1/4 mile in under 12 seconds making it by far the fastest stock sedan on earth. Thats serious german engineering.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
You would rather have a peice of scrap metal put on some rubber circles that are so called tires rather then have THE single fastest, most advanced, most well designed, most well balanced, most prestigious sedan on planet earth?

Mind-Boggling Logic...

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
take a miata put a ls1 strait back exaust twin turbo 5 speed with a suspension kit hyperchip zrated tired 200lbs over the back axel, id rather have a custom car i built myself that holds its own against lambos and ferarris than buy a bmw for 60k who someone else built. idk if its just me but id have more fun with the miata and id apreciate it more than if i just baught a car and it would still be cheaper than the beamer

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
It's not ultra complicated. Direct injection and variable geometric turbos. A variable geometric turbo has vanes in it that move making it a small turbo at low rpms and a large turbo at high rpms. They've been used on diesels for a while now. I'm not knocking the M5 in any which way but a lot of companies are doing it now. I feel that the VW 2.5l is more impressive. That has 340hp and has 332ft/lb of torque ate 1600rpm. This is the beauty of the new tech being used now. What I really want to see is a camless engine being used. Cat had a few prototype diesels with no cam but they found it was too exensive and I heard Ducatti has a camless motorcycle engine in the works. That means a different cam profile for all rpm ranges which will make a pretty interesting power range when added to the previous tech.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

You think you can take any car...slap an exhuast and turbo in it and be on your way?...You'd have to replace your flywheel, clutch to prevent slip, you'd need to buy stronger parts for just about everything in your chassis if you add any sort of significant amount of boost to the engine which id say is a minimum of 9psi for a truly MAJOR boost.A new transmission and such would also be required most likely. Not to mention if you want any of your mods to work/last without falling apart (like falling apart after you first major turn on a track) you would need need to get high quality parts from good brands which is expensive and at which point you'd just easily buy the bmw at the same price IMO.

I know how it works, I just think its impressive and interesting to admire. You also know what Vanos is right?
The VW 2.5l is impressive I agree...but there is no limits. Formula 1 engines are completely naturally aspirated 2.4L engines that output 700-900hp easily (given the fact they rev to like 20k rpm's but nevertheless). Its all about proper tuning and engineering perfection.