XP SP2's new Bluetooth stack

August 10, 2004 5:42:49 PM

Has anyone tried the new Bluetooth stack in Windows XP SP2 as a replacement
for WidComm? How did it work out?

More about : sp2 bluetooth stack

Anonymous
August 11, 2004 3:10:15 PM

"Andrew H" <ajhpms@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o v4hs8sfEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Has anyone tried the new Bluetooth stack in Windows XP SP2 as a
replacement
> for WidComm? How did it work out?

I tried it with RC1 and it didn't work well. Other Bluetooth devices (Pocket
PC or laptops) would only find a service "p" being offered by SP2. It seems
that this issue is still there in the final version.

Then it does not implement LAP or PAN servers, only PAN as a client. If all
your machines are XP SP2 then you'll not have a server, so why bother
implementing the client? AFAIK only BT LAN AP will provide PAN (and only a
couple of brands really).

When using it for ActiveSync remember that unlike Widcomm it does not create
a Serial COM port by default, you'll have to manually create it.

Have a look in our Bluetooth Guide for ActiveSync over XP SP2:

Mauricio Freitas
MS MVP Mobile Devices
Bluetooth Guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
Performance Center: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
Anonymous
August 11, 2004 3:10:16 PM

Thanks for the site for setting up BT...good instructions. I have one
problem however, I can see my desktop computer but I'm stumped at step 5. I
keep getting a message that says service discovery unsuccessful.

I had two ports already set up under the desktop com5 outgoing PPC Generic
Serial and Com 6 incoming PPC. Following the site's instruction I added
another port which was assigned 7. The PPC I use says incoming is 8 and out
is 6, neither of which I can change. Also, the signal strength is low on the
desktop computer that's linked.

I've mucked up something, just don't know what, so any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> "Andrew H" <ajhpms@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o v4hs8sfEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Has anyone tried the new Bluetooth stack in Windows XP SP2 as a
> replacement
>> for WidComm? How did it work out?
>>

> I tried it with RC1 and it didn't work well. Other Bluetooth devices
> (Pocket
> PC or laptops) would only find a service "p" being offered by SP2. It
> seems
> that this issue is still there in the final version.
>
> Then it does not implement LAP or PAN servers, only PAN as a client. If
> all
> your machines are XP SP2 then you'll not have a server, so why bother
> implementing the client? AFAIK only BT LAN AP will provide PAN (and only a
> couple of brands really).
>
> When using it for ActiveSync remember that unlike Widcomm it does not
> create
> a Serial COM port by default, you'll have to manually create it.
>
> Have a look in our Bluetooth Guide for ActiveSync over XP SP2:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=3163
>
> --
> Mauricio Freitas
> MS MVP Mobile Devices
> Bluetooth Guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> Performance Center: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028

August 12, 2004 1:09:34 AM

There's no changes to be done on the Pocket PC side. The COM port numbers on
your Pocket PC do not have to match the port numbers on the desktop.

Regarding the "no service discovered", I guess you have created the bonding
from the desktop? If so, is the computer "discoverable"? Also, make sure
ActiveSync is configured to listen the new incoming port 7.

Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):

"Kill" <killuce@aol.com> wrote in message
news:o VCeeF1fEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the site for setting up BT...good instructions. I have one
> problem however, I can see my desktop computer but I'm stumped at step 5.
> keep getting a message that says service discovery unsuccessful.
>
> I had two ports already set up under the desktop com5 outgoing PPC Generic
> Serial and Com 6 incoming PPC. Following the site's instruction I added
> another port which was assigned 7. The PPC I use says incoming is 8 and
out
> is 6, neither of which I can change. Also, the signal strength is low on
the
> desktop computer that's linked.
>
> I've mucked up something, just don't know what, so any help would be
greatly
> appreciated. Thanks.
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> > "Andrew H" <ajhpms@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:o v4hs8sfEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> >> Has anyone tried the new Bluetooth stack in Windows XP SP2 as a
> > replacement
> >> for WidComm? How did it work out?
> >>

> > I tried it with RC1 and it didn't work well. Other Bluetooth devices
> > (Pocket
> > PC or laptops) would only find a service "p" being offered by SP2. It
> > seems
> > that this issue is still there in the final version.
> >
> > Then it does not implement LAP or PAN servers, only PAN as a client. If
> > all
> > your machines are XP SP2 then you'll not have a server, so why bother
> > implementing the client? AFAIK only BT LAN AP will provide PAN (and only
> > couple of brands really).
> >
> > When using it for ActiveSync remember that unlike Widcomm it does not
> > create
> > a Serial COM port by default, you'll have to manually create it.
> >
> > Have a look in our Bluetooth Guide for ActiveSync over XP SP2:
> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=3163
> >
> > --
> > Mauricio Freitas
> > MS MVP Mobile Devices
> > Bluetooth Guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> > Performance Center: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:09:35 AM

No, I don't think the computer is discoverable...I thought it was
recommended that that option not be selected from the website...but I'll
check and get back to you.

Thanks for the fast reply.

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:o V9ckK4fEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> There's no changes to be done on the Pocket PC side. The COM port numbers
> on
> your Pocket PC do not have to match the port numbers on the desktop.
>
> Regarding the "no service discovered", I guess you have created the
> bonding
> from the desktop? If so, is the computer "discoverable"? Also, make sure
> ActiveSync is configured to listen the new incoming port 7.

> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>

> "Kill" <killuce@aol.com> wrote in message
> news:o VCeeF1fEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Thanks for the site for setting up BT...good instructions. I have one
>> problem however, I can see my desktop computer but I'm stumped at step 5.
>> keep getting a message that says service discovery unsuccessful.
>>
>> I had two ports already set up under the desktop com5 outgoing PPC
>> Generic
>> Serial and Com 6 incoming PPC. Following the site's instruction I added
>> another port which was assigned 7. The PPC I use says incoming is 8 and
> out
>> is 6, neither of which I can change. Also, the signal strength is low on
> the
>> desktop computer that's linked.
>>
>> I've mucked up something, just don't know what, so any help would be
> greatly
>> appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>> message
>> > "Andrew H" <ajhpms@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > news:o v4hs8sfEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> > replacement
>> >>

>> > I tried it with RC1 and it didn't work well. Other Bluetooth devices
>> > (Pocket
>> > PC or laptops) would only find a service "p" being offered by SP2. It
>> > seems
>> > that this issue is still there in the final version.
>> >
>> > Then it does not implement LAP or PAN servers, only PAN as a client. If
>> > all
>> > your machines are XP SP2 then you'll not have a server, so why bother
>> > implementing the client? AFAIK only BT LAN AP will provide PAN (and
>> > only
>> > couple of brands really).
>> >
>> > When using it for ActiveSync remember that unlike Widcomm it does not
>> > create
>> > a Serial COM port by default, you'll have to manually create it.
>> >
>> > Have a look in our Bluetooth Guide for ActiveSync over XP SP2:
>> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=3163
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mauricio Freitas
>> > MS MVP Mobile Devices
>> > Bluetooth Guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> > Performance Center:
>> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028

Anonymous
August 12, 2004 1:09:36 AM

Turned the desktop computers Turn on discovery and that worked.

Maybe you should change the website notation under step three from: "Unless
you have a compelling reason, it is strongly recommended that you ensure the
“Turn discovery on” check box unchecked. This means the computer is
invisible to untrusted Bluetooth devices. It is a security safeguard and
best left alone." To: this needs to be checked in order for your PPC to find
your computer for the active sync setup via bluetooth."

Otherwise, great directions and easy to follow; although I didn't need to
create a com port.

> No, I don't think the computer is discoverable...I thought it was
> recommended that that option not be selected from the website...but I'll
> check and get back to you.
>
> Thanks for the fast reply.
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o V9ckK4fEHA.3536@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> There's no changes to be done on the Pocket PC side. The COM port numbers
>> on
>> your Pocket PC do not have to match the port numbers on the desktop.
>>
>> Regarding the "no service discovered", I guess you have created the
>> bonding
>> from the desktop? If so, is the computer "discoverable"? Also, make sure
>> ActiveSync is configured to listen the new incoming port 7.
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
>> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>>

>> "Kill" <killuce@aol.com> wrote in message
>> news:o VCeeF1fEHA.1644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Thanks for the site for setting up BT...good instructions. I have one
>>> problem however, I can see my desktop computer but I'm stumped at step
>>> 5.
>>> keep getting a message that says service discovery unsuccessful.
>>>
>>> I had two ports already set up under the desktop com5 outgoing PPC
>>> Generic
>>> Serial and Com 6 incoming PPC. Following the site's instruction I added
>>> another port which was assigned 7. The PPC I use says incoming is 8 and
>> out
>>> is 6, neither of which I can change. Also, the signal strength is low on
>> the
>>> desktop computer that's linked.
>>>
>>> I've mucked up something, just don't know what, so any help would be
>> greatly
>>> appreciated. Thanks.
>>>
>>> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in
>>> message