About to place my order... comments/suggestions are apprec..

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 1:43:37 PM

Hello all,

I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
offer.

Link to system configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 4:51:24 PM

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 4:51:25 PM

>I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

I hear what you are saying, but I like the fact that it is very clean
looking. All of my other components (monitor, keyboard/mouse) are
black with silver highlights and I believe that case will go well.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 5:08:44 PM

> > Link to system configuration:
> > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

Plain aluminum case? That's pretty funny! Actually, that lian li is kind
of plain, but looks well built and I don't doubt it's worth what newegg
wants for it, considering it's aluminum. (a bargain, actually)

The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG of
RAM, but that's me. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 6:19:36 PM

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> >I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.
>
> I hear what you are saying, but I like the fact that it is very clean
> looking. All of my other components (monitor, keyboard/mouse) are
> black with silver highlights and I believe that case will go well.

That's your call. Good luck with your 'puter. :)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 6:35:16 PM

My choice of a case would be this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

May 5, 2004 9:11:47 PM

If you think you want the black Lian-Li PC-61, take a look at the Kingwin
KT-424:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
It's basically identical to the PC-61, but has about 1 1/2 inches width
between the back of the motherboard tray and the right removable case panel
to hide all of your wiring. The Lian-Li case doesn't allow this, having no
room behind the motherboard tray and creating more wire mess and air
turbulence inside the case (which blocks the top exhaust fan anyway.) I
know first-hand from building a system for someone who specifically
requested this Lian-Li case, and he was unhappy with it, so we reinstalled
everything in the Kingwin, and he was much happier with that one. Just my 2
cents.

Since you're getting mostly very high-end components, why go with the
Kingston ValueRAM? Check out low-latency PC3200 memory from Mushkin or
Corsair if you want the best.

Good luck with your build.
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 9:11:48 PM

Russell wrote:

> If you think you want the black Lian-Li PC-61, take a look at the Kingwin
> KT-424:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> It's basically identical to the PC-61, but has about 1 1/2 inches width
> between the back of the motherboard tray and the right removable case panel
> to hide all of your wiring. The Lian-Li case doesn't allow this, having no
> room behind the motherboard tray and creating more wire mess and air
> turbulence inside the case (which blocks the top exhaust fan anyway.) I
> know first-hand from building a system for someone who specifically
> requested this Lian-Li case, and he was unhappy with it, so we reinstalled
> everything in the Kingwin, and he was much happier with that one. Just my 2
> cents.

Interesting post, thanks.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 9:52:07 PM

i was just about to link the same case.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
definitely go with the kingwin kt-424-bk over the lian li, it's a very
similar looking but much nicer case and a little less expensive.

also, since you're not using ECC RAM the asus p4c800 is a waste, go for the
p4p800 or other 865pe board. only advantage to the 875p boards is ECC RAM.

i'd put the extra money toward better RAM. OCZ PC3700 gold is probably the
best stuff currently available.

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote in
message news:nf9mc.36892$Ik.2328882@attbi_s53...
> If you think you want the black Lian-Li PC-61, take a look at the Kingwin
> KT-424:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> It's basically identical to the PC-61, but has about 1 1/2 inches width
> between the back of the motherboard tray and the right removable case
panel
> to hide all of your wiring. The Lian-Li case doesn't allow this, having
no
> room behind the motherboard tray and creating more wire mess and air
> turbulence inside the case (which blocks the top exhaust fan anyway.) I
> know first-hand from building a system for someone who specifically
> requested this Lian-Li case, and he was unhappy with it, so we reinstalled
> everything in the Kingwin, and he was much happier with that one. Just my
2
> cents.
>
> Since you're getting mostly very high-end components, why go with the
> Kingston ValueRAM? Check out low-latency PC3200 memory from Mushkin or
> Corsair if you want the best.
>
> Good luck with your build.
> Russell
> http://tastycomputers.com
>
> <JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> > offer.
> >
> > Link to system configuration:
> > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 9:52:08 PM

Wooducoodu wrote:

> i was just about to link the same case.
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
> definitely go with the kingwin kt-424-bk over the lian li, it's a very
> similar looking but much nicer case and a little less expensive.

It's so... black. :)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 9:52:08 PM

Here's a MUCH cheaper aluminum one ;)

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?descripti...

I'm not recommending it or anything, but it does look snazzy! :)

Here's another sharp-looking inexpensive aluminum one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?descripti...

I'm not really suggesting that our dear thread founder choose one of
these instead, I'm just saying "hey, lookit!" :)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 10:03:33 PM

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

Why two hard drives? Are you RAIDing them?

I would go for a 10K rpm SATA drive myself...

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG
of
> RAM, but that's me. -Dave

I agree, 1GB is a must these days!...i'd also suggest quality RAM, like
Corsair PC3200LLPT = $325.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 11:26:40 PM

Richard Dower wrote:

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
>
> > The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG
> of
> > RAM, but that's me. -Dave
>
> I agree, 1GB is a must these days!

No, it's not.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 11:27:36 PM

"Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hot.dot.mail.dot.com> wrote in message
> JH@homebuild.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> > offer.
> >
> > Link to system configuration:
> > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Why two hard drives? Are you RAIDing them?
>
> I would go for a 10K rpm SATA drive myself...

Agree, get two Western Digital Raptors, 36.7GB...run RAID 0. Then get a
160GB drive for backup and storage.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 5, 2004 11:27:37 PM

>Agree, get two Western Digital Raptors, 36.7GB...run RAID 0. Then get a
>160GB drive for backup and storage.

Had not thought of this, but I appreciate the idea. I will most
definitely give this some consideration!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2004 2:11:24 AM

JH@homebuild.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

I would ditch the floppy, and the XP.
I'd run the faster, secure, more competent, BSD or Linux. After all,
there are more than 250 different versions of them!
http://distrowatch.com http://linuxiso.com
http://www.bsd.org
Or, something over at http://freeos.com

But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
to fight them in XP, it IS your call...
I would put the $146+ towards that 1 Gig of RAM, plus, the RAID ...
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2004 7:39:19 AM

Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:

> But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
> to fight them in XP, it IS your call...

What time and resources does it take? I have been using various MS
products since 1990. It takes far less effort, almost none, to protect
against viruses and worms; compared to the effort it takes to troubleshoot
the first problem he will have with Linux. The last time I played around
with Linux (year to eighteen months ago) it still had USB support problems
and no real support for Firewire. Despite claims to the contrary I ended
up in dependency hell the first time I tried installing software that
didn't come with the distro. Linux is a fine OS for servers or people who
want their OS to be their hobby, it is still a long way from being desktop
ready for the casual user.
--
McQualude
Anonymous

McQualude wrote:

> Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
> > to fight them in XP, it IS your call...
>
> What time and resources does it take? I have been using various MS
> products since 1990. It takes far less effort, almost none, to protect
> against viruses and worms; compared to the effort it takes to troubleshoot
> the first problem he will have with Linux.

LOL, sorry, but IMHO... ~TRUE~.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2004 7:39:56 AM

JH@homebuild.com said:

> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.

No video card? What are using the system for?
--
McQualude
Anonymous

McQualude wrote:

> No video card? What are using the system for?

ROFL I can't believe I didn't notice that!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2004 6:11:24 PM

>Hello all,
>
>I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
>order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
>would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
>offer.
>
>Link to system configuration:
>http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
>Thanks

Hello again,

I appreciate the many extremely smart and useful suggestions that were
offered. I have change almost everything based on your suggestions,
so I definitely am listening.

I am going to RAID the two Raptor drives and then use the Seagate
160GB drive for storage.

I am not going with the fastest RAM because I have no plans for
overclocking. My goal is stability. I believe that the RAM I
selected will be good even though it won't allow for much
overclocking.

I initially was going to go with the P4P800 Deluxe. I chose the ASUS
875P chipset motherboard because of the excellent reviews I have read
on it. Is it true that the only benefit to the 875P chipset is the
fact that it allows for ECC RAM?

I chose the 550 watt power supply because I want my system to be very
"upgradable" and be extremely stable.

Please see the updated configuration and feel free to comment. Your
suggestion are very well received.

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Thank you everyone!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 6, 2004 11:18:41 PM

>But after running Linux for a year as a hobby, you can actually use it
>to get some work done, and often better than with Windows, depending on
>your application. Of course Linux is improving, while Windows isn't.

I agree that it is probably improving more than Windows is, but I
think I wait a while longer before using as my primary OS.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2004 1:41:26 AM

A case with four case fans might make more noise than you are use to. With
my Cooler Master case I replaced the fans with the Cooler Master LED fans
with the rifle bearings. I also use a Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD display/fan
controller. I run the front and rear case fans at 25% and speed them up to
maintain an interior air temperature of 88 degF (temp probe over CPU
cooler). I leave the top blow-hole fan off (it is the nosiest) until the
interior air temperature reaches 89 degF.

> Hello again,
>
> I appreciate the many extremely smart and useful suggestions that were
> offered. I have change almost everything based on your suggestions,
> so I definitely am listening.
>
> I am going to RAID the two Raptor drives and then use the Seagate
> 160GB drive for storage.
>
> I am not going with the fastest RAM because I have no plans for
> overclocking. My goal is stability. I believe that the RAM I
> selected will be good even though it won't allow for much
> overclocking.
>
> I initially was going to go with the P4P800 Deluxe. I chose the ASUS
> 875P chipset motherboard because of the excellent reviews I have read
> on it. Is it true that the only benefit to the 875P chipset is the
> fact that it allows for ECC RAM?
>
> I chose the 550 watt power supply because I want my system to be very
> "upgradable" and be extremely stable.
>
> Please see the updated configuration and feel free to comment. Your
> suggestion are very well received.
>
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thank you everyone!
May 7, 2004 4:57:25 AM

In article <g76i90pt5qjvf6v0lalfv6fbfssku05lsd@4ax.com>,
JH@homebuild.com says...

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

Unless I missed it, you're going without a DVDRW? Why not get one of
those instead of the CDRW since it will burn DVDs and CDRs?

There are several available now that burn both DVD+ and DVD-

Louise
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2004 7:33:37 AM

JH@homebuild.com said:

> Please see the updated configuration and feel free to comment. Your
> suggestion are very well received.
>
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Now you have a card, good choice, what are using the system for? General
computing, web surfing, video editing, gaming, porn?
--
McQualude
Anonymous

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> said:

> But after running Linux for a year as a hobby, you can actually use
> it to get some work done, and often better than with Windows,
> depending on your application.

Only a year?

> Of course Linux is improving, while Windows isn't.

Improving at what, looking like Windows? Linux has evolved into a Windows
wannabe and it will always be second (or actually third) string as long as
development tries to be 'free Windows'. The only OS that has ever had the
potential to threaten MS in the desktop market is OSX.
--
McQualude
Anonymous

>Now you have a card, good choice, what are using the system for? General
>computing, web surfing, video editing, gaming, porn?

LOL... you just come right out and say porn. :o ) I only use the
Internet for good and not evil... tehehehe

Yeah just general stuff, gaming and so on. The reason I am going with
and All in Wonder is to allow my system to double as a TIVO. I have
held out for a number of years and now I want a kick butt system.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 7, 2004 11:25:26 AM

>Unless I missed it, you're going without a DVDRW? Why not get one of
>those instead of the CDRW since it will burn DVDs and CDRs?
>
>There are several available now that burn both DVD+ and DVD-

Yeah I planned on holding off for a while. It seems from what I have
read that DVDRW are still going through some changes. I want to wait
a while for the price to come down and for everything to settle out.
May 8, 2004 3:20:41 AM

I often wonder why people always buy Win XP Professional operating
system. For a home computer it is not needed at all. It is designed
for special applications that are needed for connecting to a Business
LAN. If you are not doing that you do not need it. I have the home
version and I have 3 computers on a network attached to a Linksys
Router and a cable modem. There is nothing I want to do that I can
not do.

>Hello all,
>
>I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
>order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
>would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
>offer.
>
>Link to system configuration:
>http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
>Thanks
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2004 9:17:34 AM

>I often wonder why people always buy Win XP Professional operating
>system. For a home computer it is not needed at all. It is designed
>for special applications that are needed for connecting to a Business
>LAN. If you are not doing that you do not need it. I have the home
>version and I have 3 computers on a network attached to a Linksys
>Router and a cable modem. There is nothing I want to do that I can
>not do.

I appreciate you posing this question. Multiple people will be using
the computer and I want to have a different log in for each so that
they can have their settings personalized.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2004 1:51:19 AM

>See www.formfactors.org and elsewhere for the BTX standard that is on
>the horizon. BTX has the potential to make your case and power supply
>obsolete within a couple of years. By that I mean you mightn't be able
>to use them if you want to upgrade your motherboard.
>
>I still see nothing that indicates such a big power supply. The AMD
>site has some documents on right-sizing your power supply.

I have held out too long to wait. I have to go ahead and take the
plunge. :o )
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2004 1:53:39 AM

>A case with four case fans might make more noise than you are use to. With
>my Cooler Master case I replaced the fans with the Cooler Master LED fans
>with the rifle bearings. I also use a Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD display/fan
>controller. I run the front and rear case fans at 25% and speed them up to
>maintain an interior air temperature of 88 degF (temp probe over CPU
>cooler). I leave the top blow-hole fan off (it is the nosiest) until the
>interior air temperature reaches 89 degF.

I agree that the system will be loud, but that is stuff that I will
tweak over time. Right now I just want to make sure and get the main
components right. Thanks for the input though.
May 10, 2004 2:08:00 AM

In article <frno90hpm0hlhtitenl9c4klo30rceh79p@4ax.com>,
LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov says...
> I often wonder why people always buy Win XP Professional operating
> system. For a home computer it is not needed at all. It is designed
> for special applications that are needed for connecting to a Business
> LAN. If you are not doing that you do not need it. I have the home
> version and I have 3 computers on a network attached to a Linksys
> Router and a cable modem. There is nothing I want to do that I can
> not do.
>

> >Hello all,
> >
> >I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> >order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> >would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> >offer.
> >
> >Link to system configuration:
> >http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
> >
> >Thanks

It's my impression that Professional also has a much better capacity to
recover from a crash using the last good configuration method.

Louise
May 10, 2004 2:14:52 AM

In article <rv6n90lio7fclfefj49ld2j02jftin8h55@4ax.com>,
JH@homebuild.com says...

> >Unless I missed it, you're going without a DVDRW? Why not get one of
> >those instead of the CDRW since it will burn DVDs and CDRs?
> >
> >There are several available now that burn both DVD+ and DVD-
>
> Yeah I planned on holding off for a while. It seems from what I have
> read that DVDRW are still going through some changes. I want to wait
> a while for the price to come down and for everything to settle out.

how are you planning to backup?

I'm now using an external HD for daily backups AND, every week or two, I
backup to DVDs and bring them off site.

Louise
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2004 2:14:53 AM

>how are you planning to backup?
>
>I'm now using an external HD for daily backups AND, every week or two, I
>backup to DVDs and bring them off site.
>
>Louise

I will use the CDWR to backup the most important stuff. I probably
should consider an external hard drive like you suggest.

I will probably run the Raptors in a disk mirroring RAID. My OS and
important stuff will be on the Raptors. I know that mirrored drives
still need to be backed up, but it will still offer me more piece of
mind.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 13, 2004 7:01:02 AM

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> said:

>> I appreciate you posing this question. Multiple people will be using
>> the computer and I want to have a different log in for each so that
>> they can have their settings personalized.
>
> I believe you can do that with XP Home.

Yep.
--
McQualude
Anonymous

>>> I appreciate you posing this question. Multiple people will be using
>>> the computer and I want to have a different log in for each so that
>>> they can have their settings personalized.
>>
>> I believe you can do that with XP Home.
>
>Yep.

Okay... I'm going with Windows XP Home Edition. Thanks for the
advice.
!