About to place my order... comments/suggestions are apprec..

Hello all,

I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
offer.

Link to system configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Thanks
38 answers Last reply
More about about place order comments suggestions apprec

    JH@homebuild.com wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > offer.
    >
    > Link to system configuration:
    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    > Thanks

    I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

    >I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

    I hear what you are saying, but I like the fact that it is very clean
    looking. All of my other components (monitor, keyboard/mouse) are
    black with silver highlights and I believe that case will go well.

    > > Link to system configuration:
    > > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

    Plain aluminum case? That's pretty funny! Actually, that lian li is kind
    of plain, but looks well built and I don't doubt it's worth what newegg
    wants for it, considering it's aluminum. (a bargain, actually)

    The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG of
    RAM, but that's me. -Dave

    JH@homebuild.com wrote:

    > >I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.
    >
    > I hear what you are saying, but I like the fact that it is very clean
    > looking. All of my other components (monitor, keyboard/mouse) are
    > black with silver highlights and I believe that case will go well.

    That's your call. Good luck with your 'puter. :)

    My choice of a case would be this one:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-035&depa=0

    <JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > offer.
    >
    > Link to system configuration:
    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    > Thanks

    >My choice of a case would be this one:
    >
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-035&depa=0

    Very nice looking case and it includes the fire wire port that I will
    require. Hmmm....

    If you think you want the black Lian-Li PC-61, take a look at the Kingwin
    KT-424:
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-014&depa=1
    It's basically identical to the PC-61, but has about 1 1/2 inches width
    between the back of the motherboard tray and the right removable case panel
    to hide all of your wiring. The Lian-Li case doesn't allow this, having no
    room behind the motherboard tray and creating more wire mess and air
    turbulence inside the case (which blocks the top exhaust fan anyway.) I
    know first-hand from building a system for someone who specifically
    requested this Lian-Li case, and he was unhappy with it, so we reinstalled
    everything in the Kingwin, and he was much happier with that one. Just my 2
    cents.

    Since you're getting mostly very high-end components, why go with the
    Kingston ValueRAM? Check out low-latency PC3200 memory from Mushkin or
    Corsair if you want the best.

    Good luck with your build.
    Russell
    http://tastycomputers.com

    Russell wrote:

    > If you think you want the black Lian-Li PC-61, take a look at the Kingwin
    > KT-424:
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-014&depa=1
    > It's basically identical to the PC-61, but has about 1 1/2 inches width
    > between the back of the motherboard tray and the right removable case panel
    > to hide all of your wiring. The Lian-Li case doesn't allow this, having no
    > room behind the motherboard tray and creating more wire mess and air
    > turbulence inside the case (which blocks the top exhaust fan anyway.) I
    > know first-hand from building a system for someone who specifically
    > requested this Lian-Li case, and he was unhappy with it, so we reinstalled
    > everything in the Kingwin, and he was much happier with that one. Just my 2
    > cents.

    Interesting post, thanks.

    i was just about to link the same case.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-014&depa=0
    definitely go with the kingwin kt-424-bk over the lian li, it's a very
    similar looking but much nicer case and a little less expensive.

    also, since you're not using ECC RAM the asus p4c800 is a waste, go for the
    p4p800 or other 865pe board. only advantage to the 875p boards is ECC RAM.

    i'd put the extra money toward better RAM. OCZ PC3700 gold is probably the
    best stuff currently available.

    "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote in
    message news:nf9mc.36892$Ik.2328882@attbi_s53...

    Wooducoodu wrote:

    > i was just about to link the same case.
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-014&depa=0
    > definitely go with the kingwin kt-424-bk over the lian li, it's a very
    > similar looking but much nicer case and a little less expensive.

    It's so... black. :)

    Here's a MUCH cheaper aluminum one ;)

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=11-132-017&depa=0

    I'm not recommending it or anything, but it does look snazzy! :)

    Here's another sharp-looking inexpensive aluminum one:

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductdesc.asp?description=11-145-008&depa=0

    I'm not really suggesting that our dear thread founder choose one of
    these instead, I'm just saying "hey, lookit!" :)

    JH@homebuild.com wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > offer.
    >
    > Link to system configuration:
    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    > Thanks

    Why two hard drives? Are you RAIDing them?

    I would go for a 10K rpm SATA drive myself...

    Odie
    --

    RetroData
    Data Recovery Experts

    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG
    of
    > RAM, but that's me. -Dave

    I agree, 1GB is a must these days!...i'd also suggest quality RAM, like
    Corsair PC3200LLPT = $325.

    Richard Dower wrote:

    > "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG
    > of
    > > RAM, but that's me. -Dave
    >
    > I agree, 1GB is a must these days!

    No, it's not.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hot.dot.mail.dot.com> wrote in message
    > JH@homebuild.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > > offer.
    > >
    > > Link to system configuration:
    > > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > Why two hard drives? Are you RAIDing them?
    >
    > I would go for a 10K rpm SATA drive myself...

    Agree, get two Western Digital Raptors, 36.7GB...run RAID 0. Then get a
    160GB drive for backup and storage.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >Agree, get two Western Digital Raptors, 36.7GB...run RAID 0. Then get a
    >160GB drive for backup and storage.

    Had not thought of this, but I appreciate the idea. I will most
    definitely give this some consideration!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    JH@homebuild.com wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > offer.
    >
    > Link to system configuration:
    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    > Thanks

    I would ditch the floppy, and the XP.
    I'd run the faster, secure, more competent, BSD or Linux. After all,
    there are more than 250 different versions of them!
    http://distrowatch.com http://linuxiso.com
    http://www.bsd.org
    Or, something over at http://freeos.com

    But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
    to fight them in XP, it IS your call...
    I would put the $146+ towards that 1 Gig of RAM, plus, the RAID ...
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:

    > But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
    > to fight them in XP, it IS your call...

    What time and resources does it take? I have been using various MS
    products since 1990. It takes far less effort, almost none, to protect
    against viruses and worms; compared to the effort it takes to troubleshoot
    the first problem he will have with Linux. The last time I played around
    with Linux (year to eighteen months ago) it still had USB support problems
    and no real support for Firewire. Despite claims to the contrary I ended
    up in dependency hell the first time I tried installing software that
    didn't come with the distro. Linux is a fine OS for servers or people who
    want their OS to be their hobby, it is still a long way from being desktop
    ready for the casual user.
    --
    McQualude
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    McQualude wrote:

    > Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:
    >
    > > But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
    > > to fight them in XP, it IS your call...
    >
    > What time and resources does it take? I have been using various MS
    > products since 1990. It takes far less effort, almost none, to protect
    > against viruses and worms; compared to the effort it takes to troubleshoot
    > the first problem he will have with Linux.

    LOL, sorry, but IMHO... ~TRUE~.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    JH@homebuild.com said:

    > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > offer.

    No video card? What are using the system for?
    --
    McQualude
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    McQualude wrote:

    > No video card? What are using the system for?

    ROFL I can't believe I didn't notice that!
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    >order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    >would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    >offer.
    >
    >Link to system configuration:
    >http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    >Thanks

    Hello again,

    I appreciate the many extremely smart and useful suggestions that were
    offered. I have change almost everything based on your suggestions,
    so I definitely am listening.

    I am going to RAID the two Raptor drives and then use the Seagate
    160GB drive for storage.

    I am not going with the fastest RAM because I have no plans for
    overclocking. My goal is stability. I believe that the RAM I
    selected will be good even though it won't allow for much
    overclocking.

    I initially was going to go with the P4P800 Deluxe. I chose the ASUS
    875P chipset motherboard because of the excellent reviews I have read
    on it. Is it true that the only benefit to the 875P chipset is the
    fact that it allows for ECC RAM?

    I chose the 550 watt power supply because I want my system to be very
    "upgradable" and be extremely stable.

    Please see the updated configuration and feel free to comment. Your
    suggestion are very well received.

    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

    Thank you everyone!
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >But after running Linux for a year as a hobby, you can actually use it
    >to get some work done, and often better than with Windows, depending on
    >your application. Of course Linux is improving, while Windows isn't.

    I agree that it is probably improving more than Windows is, but I
    think I wait a while longer before using as my primary OS.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    A case with four case fans might make more noise than you are use to. With
    my Cooler Master case I replaced the fans with the Cooler Master LED fans
    with the rifle bearings. I also use a Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD display/fan
    controller. I run the front and rear case fans at 25% and speed them up to
    maintain an interior air temperature of 88 degF (temp probe over CPU
    cooler). I leave the top blow-hole fan off (it is the nosiest) until the
    interior air temperature reaches 89 degF.

    > Hello again,
    >
    > I appreciate the many extremely smart and useful suggestions that were
    > offered. I have change almost everything based on your suggestions,
    > so I definitely am listening.
    >
    > I am going to RAID the two Raptor drives and then use the Seagate
    > 160GB drive for storage.
    >
    > I am not going with the fastest RAM because I have no plans for
    > overclocking. My goal is stability. I believe that the RAM I
    > selected will be good even though it won't allow for much
    > overclocking.
    >
    > I initially was going to go with the P4P800 Deluxe. I chose the ASUS
    > 875P chipset motherboard because of the excellent reviews I have read
    > on it. Is it true that the only benefit to the 875P chipset is the
    > fact that it allows for ECC RAM?
    >
    > I chose the 550 watt power supply because I want my system to be very
    > "upgradable" and be extremely stable.
    >
    > Please see the updated configuration and feel free to comment. Your
    > suggestion are very well received.
    >
    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    > Thank you everyone!
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <g76i90pt5qjvf6v0lalfv6fbfssku05lsd@4ax.com>,
    JH@homebuild.com says...

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > offer.
    >
    > Link to system configuration:
    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    > Thanks

    Unless I missed it, you're going without a DVDRW? Why not get one of
    those instead of the CDRW since it will burn DVDs and CDRs?

    There are several available now that burn both DVD+ and DVD-

    Louise
  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    JH@homebuild.com said:

    > Please see the updated configuration and feel free to comment. Your
    > suggestion are very well received.
    >
    > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

    Now you have a card, good choice, what are using the system for? General
    computing, web surfing, video editing, gaming, porn?
    --
    McQualude
  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> said:

    > But after running Linux for a year as a hobby, you can actually use
    > it to get some work done, and often better than with Windows,
    > depending on your application.

    Only a year?

    > Of course Linux is improving, while Windows isn't.

    Improving at what, looking like Windows? Linux has evolved into a Windows
    wannabe and it will always be second (or actually third) string as long as
    development tries to be 'free Windows'. The only OS that has ever had the
    potential to threaten MS in the desktop market is OSX.
    --
    McQualude
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >Now you have a card, good choice, what are using the system for? General
    >computing, web surfing, video editing, gaming, porn?

    LOL... you just come right out and say porn. :o) I only use the
    Internet for good and not evil... tehehehe

    Yeah just general stuff, gaming and so on. The reason I am going with
    and All in Wonder is to allow my system to double as a TIVO. I have
    held out for a number of years and now I want a kick butt system.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >Unless I missed it, you're going without a DVDRW? Why not get one of
    >those instead of the CDRW since it will burn DVDs and CDRs?
    >
    >There are several available now that burn both DVD+ and DVD-

    Yeah I planned on holding off for a while. It seems from what I have
    read that DVDRW are still going through some changes. I want to wait
    a while for the price to come down and for everything to settle out.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I often wonder why people always buy Win XP Professional operating
    system. For a home computer it is not needed at all. It is designed
    for special applications that are needed for connecting to a Business
    LAN. If you are not doing that you do not need it. I have the home
    version and I have 3 computers on a network attached to a Linksys
    Router and a cable modem. There is nothing I want to do that I can
    not do.

    >Hello all,
    >
    >I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    >order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    >would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    >offer.
    >
    >Link to system configuration:
    >http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    >
    >Thanks
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >I often wonder why people always buy Win XP Professional operating
    >system. For a home computer it is not needed at all. It is designed
    >for special applications that are needed for connecting to a Business
    >LAN. If you are not doing that you do not need it. I have the home
    >version and I have 3 computers on a network attached to a Linksys
    >Router and a cable modem. There is nothing I want to do that I can
    >not do.

    I appreciate you posing this question. Multiple people will be using
    the computer and I want to have a different log in for each so that
    they can have their settings personalized.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >See www.formfactors.org and elsewhere for the BTX standard that is on
    >the horizon. BTX has the potential to make your case and power supply
    >obsolete within a couple of years. By that I mean you mightn't be able
    >to use them if you want to upgrade your motherboard.
    >
    >I still see nothing that indicates such a big power supply. The AMD
    >site has some documents on right-sizing your power supply.

    I have held out too long to wait. I have to go ahead and take the
    plunge. :o)
  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >A case with four case fans might make more noise than you are use to. With
    >my Cooler Master case I replaced the fans with the Cooler Master LED fans
    >with the rifle bearings. I also use a Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD display/fan
    >controller. I run the front and rear case fans at 25% and speed them up to
    >maintain an interior air temperature of 88 degF (temp probe over CPU
    >cooler). I leave the top blow-hole fan off (it is the nosiest) until the
    >interior air temperature reaches 89 degF.

    I agree that the system will be loud, but that is stuff that I will
    tweak over time. Right now I just want to make sure and get the main
    components right. Thanks for the input though.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <frno90hpm0hlhtitenl9c4klo30rceh79p@4ax.com>,
    LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov says...
    > I often wonder why people always buy Win XP Professional operating
    > system. For a home computer it is not needed at all. It is designed
    > for special applications that are needed for connecting to a Business
    > LAN. If you are not doing that you do not need it. I have the home
    > version and I have 3 computers on a network attached to a Linksys
    > Router and a cable modem. There is nothing I want to do that I can
    > not do.
    >

    > >Hello all,
    > >
    > >I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
    > >order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
    > >would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
    > >offer.
    > >
    > >Link to system configuration:
    > >http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
    > >
    > >Thanks

    It's my impression that Professional also has a much better capacity to
    recover from a crash using the last good configuration method.

    Louise
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    In article <rv6n90lio7fclfefj49ld2j02jftin8h55@4ax.com>,
    JH@homebuild.com says...

    > >Unless I missed it, you're going without a DVDRW? Why not get one of
    > >those instead of the CDRW since it will burn DVDs and CDRs?
    > >
    > >There are several available now that burn both DVD+ and DVD-
    >
    > Yeah I planned on holding off for a while. It seems from what I have
    > read that DVDRW are still going through some changes. I want to wait
    > a while for the price to come down and for everything to settle out.

    how are you planning to backup?

    I'm now using an external HD for daily backups AND, every week or two, I
    backup to DVDs and bring them off site.

    Louise
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >how are you planning to backup?
    >
    >I'm now using an external HD for daily backups AND, every week or two, I
    >backup to DVDs and bring them off site.
    >
    >Louise

    I will use the CDWR to backup the most important stuff. I probably
    should consider an external hard drive like you suggest.

    I will probably run the Raptors in a disk mirroring RAID. My OS and
    important stuff will be on the Raptors. I know that mirrored drives
    still need to be backed up, but it will still offer me more piece of
    mind.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> said:

    >> I appreciate you posing this question. Multiple people will be using
    >> the computer and I want to have a different log in for each so that
    >> they can have their settings personalized.
    >
    > I believe you can do that with XP Home.

    Yep.
    --
    McQualude
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >>> I appreciate you posing this question. Multiple people will be using
    >>> the computer and I want to have a different log in for each so that
    >>> they can have their settings personalized.
    >>
    >> I believe you can do that with XP Home.
    >
    >Yep.

    Okay... I'm going with Windows XP Home Edition. Thanks for the
    advice.

Homebuilt Systems