About to place my order... comments/suggestions are apprec..

Hello all,

I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
offer.

Link to system configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Thanks

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

>I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

I hear what you are saying, but I like the fact that it is very clean
looking. All of my other components (monitor, keyboard/mouse) are
black with silver highlights and I believe that case will go well.

> > Link to system configuration:
> > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.

Plain aluminum case? That's pretty funny! Actually, that lian li is kind
of plain, but looks well built and I don't doubt it's worth what newegg
wants for it, considering it's aluminum. (a bargain, actually)

The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG of
RAM, but that's me. -Dave

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> >I don't quite understand why you'd pay that much for such a plain case.
>
> I hear what you are saying, but I like the fact that it is very clean
> looking. All of my other components (monitor, keyboard/mouse) are
> black with silver highlights and I believe that case will go well.

That's your call. Good luck with your 'puter. :)

My choice of a case would be this one:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-035&depa=0

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

>My choice of a case would be this one:
>
>http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-119-035&depa=0

Very nice looking case and it includes the fire wire port that I will
require. Hmmm....

russell

If you think you want the black Lian-Li PC-61, take a look at the Kingwin
KT-424:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-014&depa=1
It's basically identical to the PC-61, but has about 1 1/2 inches width
between the back of the motherboard tray and the right removable case panel
to hide all of your wiring. The Lian-Li case doesn't allow this, having no
room behind the motherboard tray and creating more wire mess and air
turbulence inside the case (which blocks the top exhaust fan anyway.) I
know first-hand from building a system for someone who specifically
requested this Lian-Li case, and he was unhappy with it, so we reinstalled
everything in the Kingwin, and he was much happier with that one. Just my 2
cents.

Since you're getting mostly very high-end components, why go with the
Kingston ValueRAM? Check out low-latency PC3200 memory from Mushkin or
Corsair if you want the best.

Good luck with your build.
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Russell wrote:

> If you think you want the black Lian-Li PC-61, take a look at the Kingwin
> KT-424:
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-014&depa=1
> It's basically identical to the PC-61, but has about 1 1/2 inches width
> between the back of the motherboard tray and the right removable case panel
> to hide all of your wiring. The Lian-Li case doesn't allow this, having no
> room behind the motherboard tray and creating more wire mess and air
> turbulence inside the case (which blocks the top exhaust fan anyway.) I
> know first-hand from building a system for someone who specifically
> requested this Lian-Li case, and he was unhappy with it, so we reinstalled
> everything in the Kingwin, and he was much happier with that one. Just my 2
> cents.

Interesting post, thanks.

i was just about to link the same case.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-170-014&depa=0
definitely go with the kingwin kt-424-bk over the lian li, it's a very
similar looking but much nicer case and a little less expensive.

also, since you're not using ECC RAM the asus p4c800 is a waste, go for the
p4p800 or other 865pe board. only advantage to the 875p boards is ECC RAM.

i'd put the extra money toward better RAM. OCZ PC3700 gold is probably the
best stuff currently available.

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote in
message news:nf9mc.36892$Ik.2328882@attbi_s53...

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

Why two hard drives? Are you RAIDing them?

I would go for a 10K rpm SATA drive myself...

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG
of
> RAM, but that's me. -Dave

I agree, 1GB is a must these days!...i'd also suggest quality RAM, like
Corsair PC3200LLPT = $325.

Richard Dower wrote:

> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
>
> > The rest of that system looks awesome. I'd probably go straight for 1GIG
> of
> > RAM, but that's me. -Dave
>
> I agree, 1GB is a must these days!

No, it's not.

"Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hot.dot.mail.dot.com> wrote in message
> JH@homebuild.com wrote:
> >
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> > order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> > would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> > offer.
> >
> > Link to system configuration:
> > http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Why two hard drives? Are you RAIDing them?
>
> I would go for a 10K rpm SATA drive myself...

Agree, get two Western Digital Raptors, 36.7GB...run RAID 0. Then get a
160GB drive for backup and storage.

>Agree, get two Western Digital Raptors, 36.7GB...run RAID 0. Then get a
>160GB drive for backup and storage.

Had not thought of this, but I appreciate the idea. I will most
definitely give this some consideration!

JH@homebuild.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.
>
> Link to system configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Thanks

I would ditch the floppy, and the XP.
I'd run the faster, secure, more competent, BSD or Linux. After all,
there are more than 250 different versions of them!
http://distrowatch.com http://linuxiso.com
http://www.bsd.org
Or, something over at http://freeos.com

But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
to fight them in XP, it IS your call...
I would put the $146+ towards that 1 Gig of RAM, plus, the RAID ...

Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:

> But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
> to fight them in XP, it IS your call...

What time and resources does it take? I have been using various MS
products since 1990. It takes far less effort, almost none, to protect
against viruses and worms; compared to the effort it takes to troubleshoot
the first problem he will have with Linux. The last time I played around
with Linux (year to eighteen months ago) it still had USB support problems
and no real support for Firewire. Despite claims to the contrary I ended
up in dependency hell the first time I tried installing software that
didn't come with the distro. Linux is a fine OS for servers or people who
want their OS to be their hobby, it is still a long way from being desktop
ready for the casual user.
--
McQualude

McQualude wrote:

> Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > But, if you love virus and w0rms, and can afford the time and resources
> > to fight them in XP, it IS your call...
>
> What time and resources does it take? I have been using various MS
> products since 1990. It takes far less effort, almost none, to protect
> against viruses and worms; compared to the effort it takes to troubleshoot
> the first problem he will have with Linux.

LOL, sorry, but IMHO... ~TRUE~.

JH@homebuild.com said:

> I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
> order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
> would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
> offer.

No video card? What are using the system for?
--
McQualude

McQualude wrote:

> No video card? What are using the system for?

ROFL I can't believe I didn't notice that!

>Hello all,
>
>I have spent a long time compiling my system. I am about to place an
>order and want to run it by the people in this newsgroup first. I
>would appreciate any comments or suggestions that you all may have to
>offer.
>
>Link to system configuration:
>http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
>Thanks

Hello again,

I appreciate the many extremely smart and useful suggestions that were
offered. I have change almost everything based on your suggestions,
so I definitely am listening.

I am going to RAID the two Raptor drives and then use the Seagate
160GB drive for storage.

I am not going with the fastest RAM because I have no plans for
overclocking. My goal is stability. I believe that the RAM I
selected will be good even though it won't allow for much
overclocking.

I initially was going to go with the P4P800 Deluxe. I chose the ASUS
875P chipset motherboard because of the excellent reviews I have read
on it. Is it true that the only benefit to the 875P chipset is the
fact that it allows for ECC RAM?

I chose the 550 watt power supply because I want my system to be very
"upgradable" and be extremely stable.

Please see the updated configuration and feel free to comment. Your
suggestion are very well received.

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Thank you everyone!

>But after running Linux for a year as a hobby, you can actually use it
>to get some work done, and often better than with Windows, depending on
>your application. Of course Linux is improving, while Windows isn't.

I agree that it is probably improving more than Windows is, but I
think I wait a while longer before using as my primary OS.

A case with four case fans might make more noise than you are use to. With
my Cooler Master case I replaced the fans with the Cooler Master LED fans
with the rifle bearings. I also use a Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD display/fan
controller. I run the front and rear case fans at 25% and speed them up to
maintain an interior air temperature of 88 degF (temp probe over CPU
cooler). I leave the top blow-hole fan off (it is the nosiest) until the
interior air temperature reaches 89 degF.