ATI Video Card toast? No warranty?

Last response: in Video Games
a b U Graphics card
September 2, 2005 10:20:12 AM

Hey all, I bought an ATI Radeon 9200 with the DVI outpout for use in
my mame cab about 1 1/2 years ago. I really haven't put that many
hours on it, but unfortunately it's no longer working. The warranty
is expired (after 1 yr). Is there anything I can do with it? I paid
too much just to toss it! I guess I could buy a 9250 for cheap...

Ahh well... this happens at the same time I lose ALL my roms and
arcade stuff as my 120gb hard drive went bye bye.

Frustrating hobby at times!
September 2, 2005 7:16:35 PM

* jerschwab Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> Hey all, I bought an ATI Radeon 9200 with the DVI outpout for use in
> my mame cab about 1 1/2 years ago. I really haven't put that many
> hours on it, but unfortunately it's no longer working. The warranty
> is expired (after 1 yr). Is there anything I can do with it? I paid
> too much just to toss it! I guess I could buy a 9250 for cheap...
>
> Ahh well... this happens at the same time I lose ALL my roms and
> arcade stuff as my 120gb hard drive went bye bye.
>
> Frustrating hobby at times!

That is not the hobby that frustrated you, its bad habits. On the up
side, you will never be without a valid backup ever again.

--
David
Anonymous

jerschwab's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:

> Hey all, I bought an ATI Radeon 9200 with the DVI outpout for use in
> my mame cab about 1 1/2 years ago. I really haven't put that many
> hours on it, but unfortunately it's no longer working. The warranty
> is expired (after 1 yr). Is there anything I can do with it? I paid
> too much just to toss it! I guess I could buy a 9250 for cheap...
> Ahh well... this happens at the same time I lose ALL my roms and
> arcade stuff as my 120gb hard drive went bye bye.
> Frustrating hobby at times!

Well, My guess is that what ever killed the hard drive also killed the
video card. Power surge or something? Its just not normal for two things
in the same machine to die at once and not be related.
a b U Graphics card
September 3, 2005 12:24:42 AM

Well, actually it was a portable hard drive that died while using it on
another machine. However, my power supply also died around that time.
Very unlucky!

I sorta disagree that it's bad habits causing me the grief (not saying
it isn't part of it). I think arcade emulation takes a lot of active
effort to get everything just right. It doesn't take much to find
something that frustrates you. I do think the rewards are worth it
though!

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

jerschwab wrote on 02. September 2005:

> Well, actually it was a portable hard drive that died while using it on
> another machine. However, my power supply also died around that time.
> Very unlucky!

Might have happened the drive was toasted in the other machine and had a
shortcut. When putting it back to the other machine this toasted the
machine too.
--
By(e) Andreas
U w4nt r0meZ? <http://www.lazarus.org.uk/&gt;

jerschwab wrote:
> Hey all, I bought an ATI Radeon 9200 with the DVI outpout for use in
> my mame cab about 1 1/2 years ago. I really haven't put that many
> hours on it, but unfortunately it's no longer working. The warranty
> is expired (after 1 yr). Is there anything I can do with it? I paid
> too much just to toss it! I guess I could buy a 9250 for cheap...
>
> Ahh well... this happens at the same time I lose ALL my roms and
> arcade stuff as my 120gb hard drive went bye bye.
>
> Frustrating hobby at times!

If you can get the HD running /at all/, try recovering it with Spinrite
(http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm) set to level 5. I've used this
/awesome/ tool in it's various versions for over fifteen years.
(*DAMN*, but realizing that makes me feel old! Anyone else remember
having to explain to someone that setting your interleave to '1' was a
really /bad/ idea?<G>)

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

currently@untailorlys.int
etheric@Esperantistj.edu
accite@suffragismh.mil
telescope@dithematice.net
tonsilitic@pertr.int
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2005 7:28:22 AM

I have seen the socket go bad for the video card. I would try it in another
computer before tossing it. Also the fan on it is worth keeping if you are a
junk parts collector like me.
"jerschwab" <jerschwab@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hey all, I bought an ATI Radeon 9200 with the DVI outpout for use in
> my mame cab about 1 1/2 years ago. I really haven't put that many
> hours on it, but unfortunately it's no longer working. The warranty
> is expired (after 1 yr). Is there anything I can do with it? I paid
> too much just to toss it! I guess I could buy a 9250 for cheap...
>
> Ahh well... this happens at the same time I lose ALL my roms and
> arcade stuff as my 120gb hard drive went bye bye.
>
> Frustrating hobby at times!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2005 9:21:29 PM

Yeah, I've tried it in another computer... still no good. I ended up
buying an ATI 9250 128MB. Hopefully that one will work more than a
couple months!

--
!