Trouble backing up to CD or DVD

Trying to help a customer back up her data, but has filing system in her My
Documents folder that sometimes goes deeper than eight embedded folders,
which seems to be causing problems in Roxio's Creator Classic software. I'm
hoping for help, here, in learning what the fix for this problem is. Do I
need to move any data that deeply embedded, so that I don't exceed some
apparent 8 folder path. Or is there perhaps some other CD (or DVD) burning
format that doesn't have this limitation? Is this a CD/DVD burning issue,
or a Roxio issue? HELP -- please! Thanks!!

"garwhite" <garwhite> wrote in message
> Trying to help a customer back up her data, but has filing system in her
My
> Documents folder that sometimes goes deeper than eight embedded folders,
> which seems to be causing problems in Roxio's Creator Classic software.
I'm
> hoping for help, here, in learning what the fix for this problem is. Do I
> need to move any data that deeply embedded, so that I don't exceed some
> apparent 8 folder path. Or is there perhaps some other CD (or DVD)
burning
> format that doesn't have this limitation? Is this a CD/DVD burning issue,
> or a Roxio issue? HELP -- please! Thanks!!

The CDR media needs to be written in a certain format so that other
computers can read it without having to install software first. The best
solution is to (unfortunately) rearrange "my documents" so that you don't
have so many nested subdirectories. THEN burn. -Dave

garwhite wrote:
> Trying to help a customer back up her data, but has filing system in her My
> Documents folder that sometimes goes deeper than eight embedded folders,
> which seems to be causing problems in Roxio's Creator Classic software. I'm
> hoping for help, here, in learning what the fix for this problem is. Do I
> need to move any data that deeply embedded, so that I don't exceed some
> apparent 8 folder path. Or is there perhaps some other CD (or DVD) burning
> format that doesn't have this limitation? Is this a CD/DVD burning issue,
> or a Roxio issue? HELP -- please! Thanks!!

It's not an issue I know of, but you could always put everything you
want to back up in a zip file on disk first and then just back up the
zip file onto CD.

That's a _very_ clever workaround! I shall do that. Thanks.

"BarryNL" <barry@nospam.nl> wrote in message
> garwhite wrote:
> > Trying to help a customer back up her data, but has filing system in her
My
> > Documents folder that sometimes goes deeper than eight embedded folders,
> > which seems to be causing problems in Roxio's Creator Classic software.
I'm
> > hoping for help, here, in learning what the fix for this problem is. Do
> > need to move any data that deeply embedded, so that I don't exceed some
> > apparent 8 folder path. Or is there perhaps some other CD (or DVD)
burning
> > format that doesn't have this limitation? Is this a CD/DVD burning
issue,
> > or a Roxio issue? HELP -- please! Thanks!!
>
> It's not an issue I know of, but you could always put everything you
> want to back up in a zip file on disk first and then just back up the
> zip file onto CD.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Look up the specs for ISO 9660 and you'll see that there are
directory depth and filename length limits. There is a limit of
characters deep, meaning either one file in the root directory with xx
characters or a limit of combination of characters in the directories
and file name.

N D

- Can you tell me please - why is it that when I format a new disc - on Vista Business - I get a disc name length limit ? - How can I change that setting - if at all ?