mame sound distortion

Hi all,

In most games in mame I get crackling popping sounds and half second skips
in music. It sounds similar to the old SB snap crackle pop latency issue,
although I dont get this problem in anything except mame.

Using mame 099b although this problem has occured with previous versions
too. I recently built a new system the only thing that went from old to new
machine was the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, so Im thinking this is where the
problem lies.

is this a common problem, or any settings i could change?

Thanks for any help!

werd's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> Hi all,
> In most games in mame I get crackling popping sounds and half second skips
> in music. It sounds similar to the old SB snap crackle pop latency issue,
> although I dont get this problem in anything except mame.
> Using mame 099b although this problem has occured with previous versions
> too. I recently built a new system the only thing that went from old to new
> machine was the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, so Im thinking this is where the
> problem lies.
> is this a common problem, or any settings i could change?

Can you give more info on your system, like operating system, CPU, etc?

"werd" <nononoooonono@nono.nono> wrote in

> In most games in mame I get crackling popping sounds and half second
> skips in music. It sounds similar to the old SB snap crackle pop
> latency issue, although I dont get this problem in anything except
> mame.

Any particular games, or *all* games?

--
Do you want a free iPod?
http://www.freeipods.com/?r=15154431

I have garbled sound - sometimes mute - in MAME games such as Ghosts n Goblins and Pocket Gal (most games are fine). I have SoundBlaster Audigy 2 and the problem seems to be caused by my surround sound speaker set-up.

Shinobi and other System 11 games were completely mute until I uninstalled my sound card and let Vista install default drivers. After configuring my 5.1 speaker set-up though (so that surround sound works instead of just having L and R speakers) I occasionally experience a similar problem - games start okay but after a few minutes the sound starts breaking down (crackling and garbled) and then disappears almost completely (so far this has only happened in Pocket Gal). VERY strange.

Stranger still is the fact that I did almost the exact same thing as the topic starter - I built a brand new system and the only thing I retained from my old machine was my SoundBlaster card, then I experienced an extremely similar problem - many MAME games had crackled/distorted sound no matter which version of MAME I ran...

Sorry for the triple post, but the forum won't allow me to edit my previous message... :(