HP 1300 and printing from DOS

I'm leaning towards buying an HP 1300 Laserjet printer, that will be
attached to a Windows XP computer for local printing. One package that
I need to print from is an old DOS based accounting system, running in
the Windowx XP DOS emulator.

My understanding is that printing from DOS can be a problem.

It looks like the HP 1300 has both a USB and parallel printer port, so
I'm thinking that I will want to use the parallel port.

Should I expect problems and if so are there any workarounds.

Thanks for your feedback.

mark
1 answer Last reply
More about 1300 printing

    mark <mark@home.com> wrote in message news:<2004083010482475249%mark@homecom>...
    > I'm leaning towards buying an HP 1300 Laserjet printer, that will be
    > attached to a Windows XP computer for local printing. One package that
    > I need to print from is an old DOS based accounting system, running in
    > the Windowx XP DOS emulator.
    >
    > My understanding is that printing from DOS can be a problem.
    >
    > It looks like the HP 1300 has both a USB and parallel printer port, so
    > I'm thinking that I will want to use the parallel port.
    >
    > Should I expect problems and if so are there any workarounds.

    The 1300 has PCL6, PCL5, and Postscript emulations. Most DOS apps
    should be able to run one of these -- if you have a choice, use
    PostScript. I'm running DOS apps under Win98 and print via parallel
    port without any problems. In fact, Windows spools the output, under
    pure DOS I had to run a TSR spooler to get back to work in a
    reasonable time. There are ways to set it up so that you can use USB
    and the DOS app thinks it's using a parallel port, but it won't be
    nticeably faster if at all. I think you might have the USB port
    connected as well (or to another computer) at the same time, most HP
    printers allow that.

Printers DOS Hewlett Packard Peripherals