Highpoint rocket raid 100 / Msi sata drive trouble

I have a fairly new machine at home with the following config...

MSI KT6V-LSR
AMD Barton 2500
1GB 2700 ddr (2 512 sticks)
ASUS ATI Radeon 9600XT
Audigy sound card
Hitachi 80GB SATA drive
Win XP Prof

I was going to make a poor-man's file server with another box. I had
2 80GB Western digital drives that I was going to set up in a raid
config. I picked up the Highpoint Rocket Raid 100 card for this.
Instead of putting them in the other box, I put them into my main
machine. At first it seemed ok, but I've been having more and more
trouble. Sometimes the machine won't boot, or will start booting then
boot again. It seems to take a long time loading once it does boot.
Like there is some drive contention. Any thoughts? At this point I
want to try pulling the raid and see how it goes from there. When I
first set up the machine it was great, so I'm really not happy about
this at all.

Thanks in advance,
-Kevin

In article
<6503879c.0405081023.25d1510d@posting.google.com>,
kgalligan@xsitement.net says...
> I have a fairly new machine at home with the following config...
>
> MSI KT6V-LSR
> AMD Barton 2500
> 1GB 2700 ddr (2 512 sticks)
> ASUS ATI Radeon 9600XT
> Audigy sound card
> Hitachi 80GB SATA drive
> Win XP Prof
>
> I was going to make a poor-man's file server with another box. I had
> 2 80GB Western digital drives that I was going to set up in a raid
> config. I picked up the Highpoint Rocket Raid 100 card for this.
> Instead of putting them in the other box, I put them into my main
> machine. At first it seemed ok, but I've been having more and more
> trouble. Sometimes the machine won't boot, or will start booting then
> boot again. It seems to take a long time loading once it does boot.
> Like there is some drive contention. Any thoughts? At this point I
> want to try pulling the raid and see how it goes from there. When I
> first set up the machine it was great, so I'm really not happy about
> this at all.

How big is your power-supply? Who makes it?

Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b08ce057cb3f59b9898c6@news-50.giganews.com>...
> In article
> <6503879c.0405081023.25d1510d@posting.google.com>,
> kgalligan@xsitement.net says...
> > I have a fairly new machine at home with the following config...
> >
> > MSI KT6V-LSR
> > AMD Barton 2500
> > 1GB 2700 ddr (2 512 sticks)
> > ASUS ATI Radeon 9600XT
> > Audigy sound card
> > Hitachi 80GB SATA drive
> > Win XP Prof
> >
> > I was going to make a poor-man's file server with another box. I had
> > 2 80GB Western digital drives that I was going to set up in a raid
> > config. I picked up the Highpoint Rocket Raid 100 card for this.
> > Instead of putting them in the other box, I put them into my main
> > machine. At first it seemed ok, but I've been having more and more
> > trouble. Sometimes the machine won't boot, or will start booting then
> > boot again. It seems to take a long time loading once it does boot.
> > Like there is some drive contention. Any thoughts? At this point I
> > want to try pulling the raid and see how it goes from there. When I
> > first set up the machine it was great, so I'm really not happy about
> > this at all.
> >

> How big is your power-supply? Who makes it?

Antec 380W, "True Power 380" model. I'd be shocked if it was the
power supply (ha ha, shocked).

kgalligan@xsitement.net (Kevin Galligan) wrote in message news:<6503879c.0405100716.3a86118b@posting.google.com>...
> Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b08ce057cb3f59b9898c6@news-50.giganews.com>...
> > In article
> > <6503879c.0405081023.25d1510d@posting.google.com>,
> > kgalligan@xsitement.net says...
> > > I have a fairly new machine at home with the following config...
> > >
> > > MSI KT6V-LSR
> > > AMD Barton 2500
> > > 1GB 2700 ddr (2 512 sticks)
> > > ASUS ATI Radeon 9600XT
> > > Audigy sound card
> > > Hitachi 80GB SATA drive
> > > Win XP Prof
> > >
> > > I was going to make a poor-man's file server with another box. I had
> > > 2 80GB Western digital drives that I was going to set up in a raid
> > > config. I picked up the Highpoint Rocket Raid 100 card for this.
> > > Instead of putting them in the other box, I put them into my main
> > > machine. At first it seemed ok, but I've been having more and more
> > > trouble. Sometimes the machine won't boot, or will start booting then
> > > boot again. It seems to take a long time loading once it does boot.
> > > Like there is some drive contention. Any thoughts? At this point I
> > > want to try pulling the raid and see how it goes from there. When I
> > > first set up the machine it was great, so I'm really not happy about
> > > this at all.
> > >

> > How big is your power-supply? Who makes it?
>
> Antec 380W, "True Power 380" model. I'd be shocked if it was the
> power supply (ha ha, shocked).

Just as a followup in case anybody is having somewhat similar
troubles, my sata drive was actually going under. It died a couple
days later. Only a couple months old.