new DAW OS=win98

gareth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001

Hi,
I'm currently specing out a new PC to replace the one I currently have
in my music studio. I'm not keen on buying new software as the
programs I currently have are adequate for my needs as is the OS,
win98SE. Dual boot Linux.

I'm looking to get a P4 Northwood 2.8Ghz on a Chaintech Summit 9VJL3
Mobo (Via chipset)

My questions
(i) According to the techie win98SE won't run on a Northwood :-(
I've looked into this and assume a) he wants me to buy XP. b) It's to
do with the speed limitation which can be fixed with the ndis_fix
patch. I don't want to spend money on assumptions so any clarification
would be appreciated.

(ii) Any ideas on how accurate (or not) either of the above components
are from a realtime point of view?
Reason: I have several external midi devices that sync together. The
PC is NOT the master clock but must follow along without any glitching
during cache flushes or whatever.

(iii) Any gotchas or personal exerience with the above componants
please let me know b4 I spend my hard earned cash.

TIA
Gareth

Keep on Groovin'
gareth
http://www.backstage.co.za/gareth/

steveh

"Gareth" <gareth@freemail.absa.co.za> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm currently specing out a new PC to replace the one I currently have
> in my music studio. I'm not keen on buying new software as the
> programs I currently have are adequate for my needs as is the OS,
> win98SE. Dual boot Linux.
>
> I'm looking to get a P4 Northwood 2.8Ghz on a Chaintech Summit 9VJL3
> Mobo (Via chipset)
>
> My questions
> (i) According to the techie win98SE won't run on a Northwood :-(
> I've looked into this and assume a) he wants me to buy XP. b) It's to
> do with the speed limitation which can be fixed with the ndis_fix
> patch. I don't want to spend money on assumptions so any clarification
> would be appreciated.

We ran 98se/WinXP dual boot on a 2.4 Northwwod for ages, never had any
problem and applied no patches to 98se. I can't see it would be any
different with a 2.8.

HTH
SteveH

Gareth wrote:
> My questions
> (i) According to the techie win98SE won't run on a Northwood :-(

That statement is idiotic. You can safely ignore any future advice from
"the techie."

> I've looked into this and assume a) he wants me to buy XP. b) It's to
> do with the speed limitation which can be fixed with the ndis_fix
> patch.

I'm not sure if 98SE needs the ndis fix since I've only done it on first
edition 98, but it's easy to apply if necessary. I don't think SE needs
it though.

> (ii) Any ideas on how accurate (or not) either of the above components
> are from a realtime point of view?
> Reason: I have several external midi devices that sync together. The
> PC is NOT the master clock but must follow along without any glitching
> during cache flushes or whatever

> (iii) Any gotchas or personal exerience with the above componants
> please let me know b4 I spend my hard earned cash.

Personally, I'd go with an Intel chipset.

Sal Monella" <salmonella@idontwantanymail.moc> wrote in message
> Gareth wrote:
> > My questions
> > (i) According to the techie win98SE won't run on a Northwood :-(
>
> That statement is idiotic. You can safely ignore any future advice
from
> "the techie."

Yup-- 98SE will run on even the AMD 64's .. but you do need to do
some tweaks

> > I've looked into this and assume a) he wants me to buy XP. b)
It's to
> > do with the speed limitation which can be fixed with the
ndis_fix
> > patch.
>
> I'm not sure if 98SE needs the ndis fix since I've only done it on
first
> edition 98, but it's easy to apply if necessary. I don't think SE
needs
> it though.
>
> > (ii) Any ideas on how accurate (or not) either of the above
components
> > are from a realtime point of view?
> > Reason: I have several external midi devices that sync together.
The
> > PC is NOT the master clock but must follow along without any
glitching
> > during cache flushes or whatever
>
> > (iii) Any gotchas or personal exerience with the above
componants
> > please let me know b4 I spend my hard earned cash.
>
> Personally, I'd go with an Intel chipset.

gareth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001

On Sun, 09 May 2004 14:00:53 GMT, Sal Monella
<salmonella@idontwantanymail.moc> wrote:

>Gareth wrote:
>> My questions
>> (i) According to the techie win98SE won't run on a Northwood :-(
>
>That statement is idiotic. You can safely ignore any future advice from
>"the techie."

figures :)

>> I've looked into this and assume a) he wants me to buy XP. b) It's to
>> do with the speed limitation which can be fixed with the ndis_fix
>> patch.
>
>I'm not sure if 98SE needs the ndis fix since I've only done it on first
>edition 98, but it's easy to apply if necessary. I don't think SE needs
>it though.

I've downloaded it anyhow in case.

>> (ii) Any ideas on how accurate (or not) either of the above components
>> are from a realtime point of view?
>> Reason: I have several external midi devices that sync together. The
>> PC is NOT the master clock but must follow along without any glitching
>> during cache flushes or whatever
>
>> (iii) Any gotchas or personal exerience with the above componants
>> please let me know b4 I spend my hard earned cash.
>
>Personally, I'd go with an Intel chipset.

OK, on doing a bit more research (into local dealers aswell) I'm now
looking at an MSI "865PE Neo2-PFS" MoBo wich uses an intel chipset.
Much better reviews on newegg than my first choice, ( albeit a little
pricier ) thanx for the advice, any more would be appreciated.

TIA