New printer

I am looking to buy a new printer-scanner machine and have less than
£100 to spend on it.
I will be using it mainly for printing text in black and white and
photo copying in black and white. I would like to have the the
option to print in colour aswell, although not necesarilly at photo
quality.
The most important features I am looking for in the machine are (in
descending order)
1. Cheapness of print cartridges
2. Reliability

Any recomendations? Im leaning towards an Epson Stylus Cx3200. That
a good or bad idea? Thanks in advance for any help.

==============
More about printer

    dcprenti wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a new printer-scanner machine and have less than
    > £100 to spend on it.
    > I will be using it mainly for printing text in black and white and
    > photo copying in black and white. I would like to have the the
    > option to print in colour aswell, although not necesarilly at photo
    > quality.
    > The most important features I am looking for in the machine are (in
    > descending order)
    > 1. Cheapness of print cartridges
    > 2. Reliability
    >
    > Any recomendations? Im leaning towards an Epson Stylus Cx3200. That
    > a good or bad idea? Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > ==============
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.

    You don't really know much about printers, now do you? You obviously don't
    know the first rule of printers

    /The price of the printer is inversely proportional to the price of the
    cartridges./

    You are looking at a unit with an RRP of around £60. How on earth are
    cartridges for that going to be cheap?!

    The colour is around £27, the black £23. IOW, for an extra £10 you could
    purchase a whole new unit. The colour is also one tri-colour unit, which is
    incredibly wasteful.

    lose his marbles?

    "dcprenti" <C.H.A.Prentice@ncl.ac-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I am looking to buy a new printer-scanner machine and have less than
    > £100 to spend on it.
    > I will be using it mainly for printing text in black and white and
    > photo copying in black and white. I would like to have the the
    > option to print in colour aswell, although not necesarilly at photo
    > quality.
    > The most important features I am looking for in the machine are (in
    > descending order)
    > 1. Cheapness of print cartridges
    > 2. Reliability
    >
    > Any recomendations? Im leaning towards an Epson Stylus Cx3200. That
    > a good or bad idea? Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > ==============
    troubleshooting newsgroups.

    That's quite a good choice. I had a CX3200 previously and was very happy
    with it. You can get cheap third party cartridges from
    www.choicestationery.com and it will give reasonable photo quality prints,
    probably better than any other all-in-one in its price range.

    Miss Perspicacia Tick

    You say the CX3200 is an uneconomical machine and then go on to say i
    could get a more econoical one for £10 more. Could you give me an
    example of what said machine might be? The reason I thought about
    buying the CX3200 was because I had heard epson has cheap cartridges,
    obviously not though.

    Any help apreciated

    p.s. I dont know much about printers which is why I am asking these
    basic questions.

    ==============

    As per usual, your posting (Miss Perspicacia Tick) is abrasive, if not
    insulting, and contains incomplete or inaccurate information.

    For the benefit of the original poster: the cost of running a printer is
    dependent on how it is used. For instance, should you tend to rarely
    use color, but only print a few black and white text or images a day or
    so, you will find that each time you turn on the printer it will go
    through a cleaning routine which will use up the black and colored inks.
    Some people have found that although they may never use the color
    inks, they still will run out due to this cleaning process which can use
    1%-5% of the ink in the cartridge each time, and then the printer will
    not print until that cartridge is replaced.

    Further, having separate color cartridges (one for each color) will not
    save you any money in this situation, because they will all run out of
    ink together from cleaning cycles, and they will cumulatively probably
    cost more to replace that way.

    Further still, there is very little savings, if any, in having separate
    color cartridges unless you tend to only use one color very heavily. In
    most photographic images, the colors end up being used fairly evenly.

    The saving from individual cartridges is very much overrated, because
    each time a cartridge is replaced with a new one, ALL the cartridges go
    through an installation purging cycle, which can use up to 20% of the
    ink in the cartridges. If several of these are required as individual
    cartridges run low or out of ink, you can see how quickly, at 20% per
    cycle, any cartridge that was having low usage would still run out of
    ink during the purging cycles. Having one cartridge with 3 or 5 ink
    colors, means it will only have one installation purging occur for all
    the colors at the same time (although if you have a separate black
    cartridge and it runs out, it may force a second purging process on the
    color cartridge, since modern Epson printer only have one cleaning
    station and vacuum pump, rather than two.

    Any "all in one" which you use rarely for color will end up costly to
    own as the ink is used up during first use of day cleanings. There are a
    number of work arounds, but that are a bit cludgy.

    You might wish to consider buying an inexpensive laser printer for all
    the black and white work, and an "all in one" mainly for color work.
    That way you might be able to reduce the number of times it needs to be
    turned on and go through the regular cleaning process they go through
    each time they are turned on.

    Canon printers/all in one units may be cheaper to run in a larger
    viewpoint. One can refill the cartridges fairly easily, and they
    produce good quality results. You might want to ask about how much
    cleaning the canon models do on start up each day, and if you can refill
    the cartridges yourself with bulk inks, which can save you money.
    Epson make refilling more difficult to accomplish.

    Art

    Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

    > dcprenti wrote:
    >
    >>I am looking to buy a new printer-scanner machine and have less than
    >>£100 to spend on it.
    >>I will be using it mainly for printing text in black and white and
    >>photo copying in black and white. I would like to have the the
    >>option to print in colour aswell, although not necesarilly at photo
    >>quality.
    >>The most important features I am looking for in the machine are (in
    >>descending order)
    >>1. Cheapness of print cartridges
    >>2. Reliability
    >>
    >>Any recomendations? Im leaning towards an Epson Stylus Cx3200. That
    >>a good or bad idea? Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>
    >>==============
    >>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    >>troubleshooting newsgroups.
    >

    > You don't really know much about printers, now do you? You obviously don't
    > know the first rule of printers
    >
    > /The price of the printer is inversely proportional to the price of the
    > cartridges./
    >
    > You are looking at a unit with an RRP of around £60. How on earth are
    > cartridges for that going to be cheap?!
    >
    > The colour is around £27, the black £23. IOW, for an extra £10 you could
    > purchase a whole new unit. The colour is also one tri-colour unit, which is
    > incredibly wasteful.

    I am not "Miss Tick" (nor would I ever wish to be)

    However, if you can find a good source for 3rd party ink cartridges
    which work with the printer in question, that could prove to be a large
    saving over other brands. As I mentioned earlier, Canon tends to be
    more economical with replacement consumables than true Epson OEM product.

    Sometimes 3rd party Epson subsitutes have problems with the chip in the
    cartridge being misread, and causing the printer to either complain
    about it, or to not function at all. SO, you need to consider more
    reputable providers to avoid extra problems.

    Art

    dcprenti wrote:

    > Miss Perspicacia Tick
    >
    > You say the CX3200 is an uneconomical machine and then go on to say i
    > could get a more econoical one for £10 more. Could you give me an
    > example of what said machine might be? The reason I thought about
    > buying the CX3200 was because I had heard epson has cheap cartridges,
    > obviously not though.
    >
    > Any help apreciated
    >
    > p.s. I dont know much about printers which is why I am asking these
    > basic questions.
    >
    > ==============
    > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

    > You don't really know much about printers, now do you? You obviously don't
    > know the first rule of printers

    Not a very helpfull reply is it?

    > /The price of the printer is inversely proportional to the price of the
    > cartridges./
    >
    > You are looking at a unit with an RRP of around £60. How on earth are
    > cartridges for that going to be cheap?!

    They work out a lot cheaper than the single colour cartridges for the
    CX6400, which is twice the RRP.

    > The colour is around £27, the black £23. IOW, for an extra £10 you could
    > purchase a whole new unit. The colour is also one tri-colour unit, which
    > is incredibly wasteful.

    Never heard of compatibles?

    > --
    > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    > lose his marbles?

    Must be hereditary!!

    Canon Smartbase MP360 18ppm 4800dpi Usb2.0 A4

    Im thinking this looks quite good

    ==============

    Cheers for the help. Much appreciated.

    I can see that i am going to have to investigate this a bit more. My
    student loan wont stretch to me getting an expensive to run printer.
    Im looking into cannon models as we speak (helpful advice).

    ==============

    My mistake

    ==============

    dcprenti wrote:
    > Miss Perspicacia Tick
    >
    > You say the CX3200 is an uneconomical machine and then go on to say i
    > could get a more econoical one for £10 more. Could you give me an
    > example of what said machine might be? The reason I thought about
    > buying the CX3200 was because I had heard epson has cheap cartridges,
    > obviously not though.
    >
    > Any help apreciated
    >
    > p.s. I dont know much about printers which is why I am asking these
    > basic questions.
    >
    > ==============
    > troubleshooting newsgroups.

    No I didn't. I said for £10 more than a set of cartridges, you could replace
    the unit with another CX3200.
    lose his marbles?

    > dcprenti wrote:
    > > Miss Perspicacia Tick
    > >
    > > You say the CX3200 is an uneconomical machine and then go on to say i
    > > could get a more econoical one for £10 more. Could you give me an
    > > example of what said machine might be? The reason I thought about
    > > buying the CX3200 was because I had heard epson has cheap cartridges,
    > > obviously not though.
    > >
    > > Any help apreciated
    > >
    > > p.s. I dont know much about printers which is why I am asking these
    > > basic questions.
    > >
    > > ==============
    > > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
    > > troubleshooting newsgroups.
    >

    > No I didn't. I said for £10 more than a set of cartridges, you could
    replace
    > the unit with another CX3200.
    > --
    So if he buys a set of cartridges for a CX3200 for £8, (which is roughly
    what I've been paying for a set for the last few years) you're saying he
    could have a new CX3200 for £18?

    Kaiser wrote:

    > I tend to agree with you Art. My CX6400 uses the individual color cartridges
    > fairly evenly, also they are more expensive to replace than the Tri-color
    > cartridge that was in the CX3200. I often wonder if I made the right choice
    > when I upgraded from the CX3200 to CX6400.
    >
    > Kaiser

    The main advantage, if it is so for you, to the CX6400 versus the CX3200
    is that it uses Durabrite inks, which are pigmented versus the CX3200's
    dye based. What this affords you is longer lasting images, use of
    certain other paper substrates, and a waterproof result even with plain
    paper. Other than that, I'm not sure the advantages are that significant.

    Art

Printers Photo Scanners Peripherals