POST and power supply

Every so often my computer fails to POST beep and just hangs, no video
or anything. If I turn off at the front switch by holding it in for a
few seconds, then turn off the I/O switch at the back on the power
supply, then turn on the I/O again, then turn on the front switch :
everything OK !!
Is this indicative of a soon-to-die power supply ?
Cheers in anticipation.........

The power supply system consists of three component - power
switch, motherboard power supply controller, and PSU. Until
you make measurements with a 3.5 digit multimeter, then no one
can accurately answer your question. Simple procedures that
take less time than even swapping power supply:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on
5 Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa .

In your case, actions of the Power On and Power Good signals
are important. Once the PSU system is confirmed, only then
are you ready to move on to other suspects including a
defective POR circuit (on motherboard) and BIOS battery.

AlanW wrote:
> Every so often my computer fails to POST beep and just hangs, no
> video or anything. If I turn off at the front switch by holding
> it in for a few seconds, then turn off the I/O switch at the back
> on the power supply, then turn on the I/O again, then turn on the
> front switch :
> everything OK !!
> Is this indicative of a soon-to-die power supply ?
> Cheers in anticipation.........

Tim

AlanW wrote:
> Every so often my computer fails to POST beep and just hangs, no video
> or anything. If I turn off at the front switch by holding it in for a
> few seconds, then turn off the I/O switch at the back on the power
> supply, then turn on the I/O again, then turn on the front switch :
> everything OK !!
> Is this indicative of a soon-to-die power supply ?
> Cheers in anticipation.........

Does it beep at all? If it doesn't, I'd look for problems with the CPU,
motherboard or power supply.

If it does beep, you should look up the beep sequence on the website of
the BIOS manufacturer, that should give you an idea.

What's the history with this computer? Any other problems? How old is
the computer?

Tim wrote:
> AlanW wrote:
>> Every so often my computer fails to POST beep and just hangs, no video
>> or anything. If I turn off at the front switch by holding it in for a
>> few seconds, then turn off the I/O switch at the back on the power
>> supply, then turn on the I/O again, then turn on the front switch :
>> everything OK !!
>> Is this indicative of a soon-to-die power supply ?
>> Cheers in anticipation.........

I had exactly the same problem with a machine I'd built for a friend.
Problem was too small a case and one of the 5" drives was hanging over the
mobo just a bit and when I tried to run it on its side, the mobo was
shorted.

Bigger case solved that problem. Up until I discovered the problem, I was
at the hair pulling stage.

Check *everything* before replacing parts.

TFM®

Everything seems to be fine at present, but many thanks anyway.
It's a 3 year old PIII-800, if it packs up I'll just get another one.