Stinky New Vid Card?

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2004 10:01:57 PM

This is a weird question, but I just got a new vid card (ATI 9600 Pro
(Powercolor)) and ever since installing it, it kind of has a smell to the
pc. It's just kind of a plasticky smell. I have verified that the card is
not hot itself, even underneath the fan. It seems that if I leave it on for
a couple days, the smell will go away, but I left the pc off last night and
the smell has come back today.

Anyone ever had this type of problem? I'm just hoping it's not harmful...

thanks in advance,

More about : stinky vid card

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 10, 2004 8:54:56 AM

On Sun, 9 May 2004 18:01:57 -0700, "Roscoe P. Coaltrain"
<mfg@yomama.com> wrote:

>This is a weird question, but I just got a new vid card (ATI 9600 Pro
>(Powercolor)) and ever since installing it, it kind of has a smell to the
>pc. It's just kind of a plasticky smell. I have verified that the card is
>not hot itself, even underneath the fan. It seems that if I leave it on for
>a couple days, the smell will go away, but I left the pc off last night and
>the smell has come back today.
>
>Anyone ever had this type of problem? I'm just hoping it's not harmful...
>
>thanks in advance,

Sounds like the card runs hot.
Does it have one of those big cooling fans on it?
I've seen some of the new game cards that are loaded down with lots of
heat producing chips so much so they are now coming loaded with their
own heatsinks and fans.
!