How fast are your RAID arrays???

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

I just got my new RAID-0 striped array up & running.....using (4) Maxtor
DiamondMax Plus 9 (7200 rpm, 8MB cache) and SIIG ATA-133 RAID PCI card.

Using HD Tach 3.0, I'm getting about 82-85 MB/sec. transfer rates. However,
only about 45% faster than a single Maxtor drive (not like the 2X speed
increase claimed for RAID-0 arrays). I am using a 512KB stripe size.

I'd like to know what other folks are getting with their arrays. How do the
SATA RAID cards compare in transfer speed to IDE?

These are my read speeds, I didn't run the write tests.

I have 2 arrays in my system. The first is for OS and programs, it is RAID
0, uses 2 74GB Raptors. 128KB stripe size. This array runs off of the
Intel D875pbzlk using ICH5R hardware. CPU Util: 4.5%, Burst: 114.9,
Maximum: 101.8, Min: 41.8, avg 69.2. I know a guy who always uses ATA133
specs when arguing PC stuff, as if they really go 133MB/sec. Here I have a
pretty hot array the never touches 133MB/s even on a burst.

Array 2, RAID 5. 64KB stripe size. This array uses an LSI Logic megaraid
150-4 SATA card. Drives are WD2500?? SATA, x 3. This drive houses data
that I don't want to lose. The real important stuff gets backed up to
DVD/CD too. Results are somewhat disappointing, I may get another drive and
go RAID 10 just for kicks. I should also check to see if there is anything
I can change to improve things. This drive doesn't need to be super fast
just a little more safe. CPU Util: 0.6%-WOW, Burst:64.6, Max: 26.4, min:
11.9, Avg:16.7MB. Seems like it should read a bit faster than that, but I
haven't seen any similar setups to compare it too.

--Dan

"TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
> I just got my new RAID-0 striped array up & running.....using (4) Maxtor
> DiamondMax Plus 9 (7200 rpm, 8MB cache) and SIIG ATA-133 RAID PCI card.
>
> Using HD Tach 3.0, I'm getting about 82-85 MB/sec. transfer rates.
However,
> only about 45% faster than a single Maxtor drive (not like the 2X speed
> increase claimed for RAID-0 arrays). I am using a 512KB stripe size.
>
> I'd like to know what other folks are getting with their arrays. How do
the
> SATA RAID cards compare in transfer speed to IDE?

TJM

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2003

> I have 2 arrays in my system. The first is for OS and programs, it is
RAID
> 0, uses 2 74GB Raptors. 128KB stripe size. This array runs off of the
> Intel D875pbzlk using ICH5R hardware. CPU Util: 4.5%, Burst: 114.9,
> Maximum: 101.8, Min: 41.8, avg 69.2. I know a guy who always uses ATA133
> specs when arguing PC stuff, as if they really go 133MB/sec. Here I have
> pretty hot array the never touches 133MB/s even on a burst.

Those are similar numbers to what I am getting, although with 512K stripe
size. I agree about the 133MB/sec, although I bought into the myth and
upgraded to my SIIG ATA-133 RAID card. Probably would have been just as
fast with ATA-100 RAID.

> Array 2, RAID 5. 64KB stripe size. This array uses an LSI Logic megaraid
> 150-4 SATA card. Drives are WD2500?? SATA, x 3. This drive houses data
> that I don't want to lose. The real important stuff gets backed up to
> DVD/CD too. Results are somewhat disappointing, I may get another drive
and
> go RAID 10 just for kicks. I should also check to see if there is
anything
> I can change to improve things. This drive doesn't need to be super fast
> just a little more safe. CPU Util: 0.6%-WOW, Burst:64.6, Max: 26.4, min:
> 11.9, Avg:16.7MB. Seems like it should read a bit faster than that, but I
> haven't seen any similar setups to compare it too.
>
> --Dan
>

> "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
> > I just got my new RAID-0 striped array up & running.....using (4) Maxtor
> > DiamondMax Plus 9 (7200 rpm, 8MB cache) and SIIG ATA-133 RAID PCI card.
> >
> > Using HD Tach 3.0, I'm getting about 82-85 MB/sec. transfer rates.
> However,
> > only about 45% faster than a single Maxtor drive (not like the 2X speed
> > increase claimed for RAID-0 arrays). I am using a 512KB stripe size.
> >
> > I'd like to know what other folks are getting with their arrays. How do
> the
> > SATA RAID cards compare in transfer speed to IDE?

Not sure that I should report in on this one. I didn't like the earlier HD
Tach for RAID because it uses a fixed test data size of 64 kB.
I use HD_Speed and set the data block size to 512kB.

On the Raptors ( small ones ) I get just a little over 100mB/s
For bulk storage, the Maxtor Max 8's, I get in the mid 90's.

These readings at taken near the outside of the disk.

Storage Review did a nice write up on your MaxPlus 9's.
As I suspect you know, you will never get to marketing hype of 150 mB/s as
the bus will only handle 133mB/s. Too, you will never get 100% of the very
busy PCI bus.

Aida32 ( in the Disk bench Mark plug-in) will give you a picture of what is
going on.

I believe you will find that you have as good or better than any one else
has. These are rates that we will live with until we get a 64 bit Super PCI
bus.

Jim

On Wed, 12 May 2004 22:36:01 GMT, "jpsga" <jpsga@comcast.net> wrote:

>As I suspect you know, you will never get to marketing hype of 150 mB/s as
>the bus will only handle 133mB/s. Too, you will never get 100% of the very
>busy PCI bus.

What about SATA-150? Frees up the PCI bus.

I'm looking at 2x Seagate Barracudas, 120Gb, 7200rpm, 8Mb cache.
Should I RAID-0 them, or leave them seperate? Planning to encode TV to
DVD.

Cheers
Jon