invalid cpu speed setting

Reepicheep

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

i have an asus board with an athlon xp 2000+ chipset, 512 ram, geforce2 card
and a soundblaster....

i boot it up once, it works completely and perfectly fine...
i restart and the hard drive starts up *twice*, then it doesnt post and goes
straight to bios saying "invalid cpu speed setting"....

ive replaced the motherboard, and the cpu to no avail...
im out of ideas

what are my options?
thanks!

Reepicheep

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

oh yah, extra information, on the first boot it will run for however long,
be it minutes or days, until the computer is rebooted.
when it is rebooted it will have that problem, and require it sitting alone
with the power turned off for a good long time (never timed it), i usually
come in in the morning and turn it on, and it will work for me (JUST DONT
REBOOT IT :)

> oh yah, extra information, on the first boot it will run for however long,
> be it minutes or days, until the computer is rebooted.
> when it is rebooted it will have that problem, and require it sitting
alone
> with the power turned off for a good long time (never timed it), i usually
> come in in the morning and turn it on, and it will work for me (JUST DONT
> REBOOT IT :)
>
> "Reepicheep" <dontlook@fake.email> wrote in message
> > i have an asus board with an athlon xp 2000+ chipset, 512 ram, geforce2
> card
> > and a soundblaster....
> >
> > i boot it up once, it works completely and perfectly fine...
> > i restart and the hard drive starts up *twice*, then it doesnt post and
> goes
> > straight to bios saying "invalid cpu speed setting"....
> >
> > ive replaced the motherboard, and the cpu to no avail...
> > im out of ideas
> >
> > what are my options?
> > thanks!

Tried replacing the cmos battery ?

Reepicheep

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2003

that was actually the first thing i tried!!
it did not fix the problem, and also with replacing the motherboard i got a
new battery as well.... but no, a new cmos battery did not seem to help :(

"Nitro®" <nitromax@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Reepicheep" <dontlook@fake.email> wrote in message
> > oh yah, extra information, on the first boot it will run for however
long,
> > be it minutes or days, until the computer is rebooted.
> > when it is rebooted it will have that problem, and require it sitting
> alone
> > with the power turned off for a good long time (never timed it), i
usually
> > come in in the morning and turn it on, and it will work for me (JUST
DONT
> > REBOOT IT :)
> >
> > "Reepicheep" <dontlook@fake.email> wrote in message
> > > i have an asus board with an athlon xp 2000+ chipset, 512 ram,
geforce2
> > card
> > > and a soundblaster....
> > >
> > > i boot it up once, it works completely and perfectly fine...
> > > i restart and the hard drive starts up *twice*, then it doesnt post
and
> > goes
> > > straight to bios saying "invalid cpu speed setting"....
> > >
> > > ive replaced the motherboard, and the cpu to no avail...
> > > im out of ideas
> > >
> > > what are my options?
> > > thanks!
> > >

> Tried replacing the cmos battery ?

here's what I'd try.
In the cmos
find the thing that says set every to the default settings and do that,
then set all drives to auto detect if they aren't,
and see what happens.

The next thing, if that didn't work, would be to set
the cmos settings to "Optimise Settings" and see if that fixes it.

I'm assumming you already did the restore point thing, and
cycled it through safe mode a couple of times.

Another thing it could be is a bad memory module or a bad
connection between the dimm and it's slot, so clean and reseat.

you probably already pushed all the cables in, so you might try
unplugging everything except for a dimm, some video if it isn't on board,
and the boot drive and see what happens.