Artic Silver 5 application?

I was reading the new instructions for application of Artic Silver 5:

http://www.articsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Now i understand the new method of applying a tiny blob onto the CPU in the
center where the core is located, my problems is what do you do with the
heatsink?

Do nothing?....the instructions say, "If you have a small core CPU like an
Intel P3 or AMD, continue on to step 3.
If you have a Intel P4 or Athlon64 type CPU with a large metal heat
spreader, skip steps 3 through 9 and go to step 10. "

But at step 10 they say nothing about what application is nesscary with the
base of the heatsink?

Any advice please?

Dug

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

I also came upon this problem, with artic silver 5.
I did what I used to do, and rubbed a very small amount onto the heatsink
tried to wipe most of it off, and then a very very thin coat onto my amd
cpu.
the stuff is very thick so keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol handy. just
doit
my XP-m2500@3200, running at 41c.
so it worked for me..

"dug" <dugg@notme.com> wrote in message
> I also came upon this problem, with artic silver 5.
> I did what I used to do, and rubbed a very small amount onto the heatsink
> tried to wipe most of it off, and then a very very thin coat onto my amd
> cpu.
> the stuff is very thick so keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol handy. just
> doit
> my XP-m2500@3200, running at 41c.
> so it worked for me..

Well i'll stick to the new instructions regarding putting a tiny blob on the
CPU core, but you don't spread it over to cover the CPU metal cap. They now
suggest just a little blob dead center...and when the heatsink makes contact
it spreads out itself.

I also think you need to work a little paste into the bottom of the heatsink
and wipe most of it off.

You need contact to contact for thermal bonding.