Any final suggestions before placing my order?

Hello,

I posted a question about a week ago asking for feedback on the
components that I selected for my new system. I received a lot of
great responses and changed almost everything that I had selected.

Now I have implemented the suggestions and re-configured my system. I
am within days of ordering and would like to get any last minute ideas
before ordering.

I want the computer to be well rounded with no one weak link. I am
going to use it for everything from tracking my finances with
Microsoft Money to recording my favorite TV shows. Of course the
amount of money I spend on the system is a consideration, but more
importantly I want to get it right the first time.

Link to my configuration:
http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465

Your input is greatly appreciated. :eek:)

Hawk

I wouldn't go with an ATI video adapter. I personally have had way too
much trouble with drivers and the amount of tweaking necessary to get
adequate performance.

Regards, hawk

JH@homebuild.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I posted a question about a week ago asking for feedback on the
> components that I selected for my new system. I received a lot of
> great responses and changed almost everything that I had selected.
>
> Now I have implemented the suggestions and re-configured my system. I
> am within days of ordering and would like to get any last minute ideas
> before ordering.
>
> I want the computer to be well rounded with no one weak link. I am
> going to use it for everything from tracking my finances with
> Microsoft Money to recording my favorite TV shows. Of course the
> amount of money I spend on the system is a consideration, but more
> importantly I want to get it right the first time.
>
> Link to my configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Your input is greatly appreciated. :eek:)

>I wouldn't go with an ATI video adapter. I personally have had way too
>much trouble with drivers and the amount of tweaking necessary to get
>adequate performance.
>
>Regards, hawk

Hawk,

Can you recommend a better video adapter? Maybe something from Nvidia
or Hauppauge?

jad

gamer? or video editing? AIW to record home movies? watch TV on the
desktop? Then the 9600 is ok. Gaming or 'benchmarker' FPS obsessed?
yeah then you'll be 'tweaking' otherwise that'll do.

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

> >I wouldn't go with an ATI video adapter. I personally have had way
too
> >much trouble with drivers and the amount of tweaking necessary to
get
> >adequate performance.
> >
> >Regards, hawk
>
> Hawk,
>
> Can you recommend a better video adapter? Maybe something from
Nvidia
> or Hauppauge?

Paul

Splendid

Actually, yes, I can make one recommendation.

Go to www.zipzoomfly.com and price out everything you did at newegg.com.
You'll probably save yourself $100 -$200. ZipZoomFly used to be Googlegear.

Also, I was going to purchase the same motherboard you are, the P4C800-E
(if you check Asus' website, there is no reference to a "deluxe" version
of this board, though someone may be able to correct me) and a 3.2ghz
P-4 Northwood. I was wondering why you decided on PC3200 DDRAM and not
the PC3700 DDRAM from Corsair? In doing what research I could, it seems
that the increase in FSB speed (433 vs. 400) offsets the increased CL
value of the 3200 over the 3700. Any info you can give me on this would
be greatly appreciated, since my RAM choice is really the last decision
I'm making.

Paul

>Actually, yes, I can make one recommendation.
>
>Go to www.zipzoomfly.com and price out everything you did at newegg.com.
>You'll probably save yourself $100 -$200. ZipZoomFly used to be Googlegear.
>
>Also, I was going to purchase the same motherboard you are, the P4C800-E
>(if you check Asus' website, there is no reference to a "deluxe" version
>of this board, though someone may be able to correct me) and a 3.2ghz
>P-4 Northwood. I was wondering why you decided on PC3200 DDRAM and not
>the PC3700 DDRAM from Corsair? In doing what research I could, it seems
>that the increase in FSB speed (433 vs. 400) offsets the increased CL
>value of the 3200 over the 3700. Any info you can give me on this would
>be greatly appreciated, since my RAM choice is really the last decision
>I'm making.
>
>Paul

Hey Paul,

I will go to zipzoomfly.com once everything is set. As you can see, I
am putting newegg's wish list to good use. :eek:)

Here is a link to the P4C800-E Deluxe:
http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM

The RAM was also my final decision. Here is quote from a knowledgable
person regarding the RAM I chose: "I prefer the Low latency RAM over
the high frequency stuff. Runs faster and stable in my experience."

Thanks for the input and I hope that my info helped you too.

Hawk

My experience has been with ATI and Nvidia. My applications include an
older flight simulator, Jane's FA-18 and a new Flight Simulator,
UbiSoft's Lock On. I never got adequate performance and quality from
the ATI despite hours of tweaking both games and card. Nvidia gave
perfect performance and quality out of the box with no tweaking of
game or card. My cards are older than what you have specified. ATI
9000 Pro and Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200. I would go for the Nvidia
equivalent of the ATI you specified.

Regards, hawk

JH@homebuild.com wrote:
>>I wouldn't go with an ATI video adapter. I personally have had way too
>>much trouble with drivers and the amount of tweaking necessary to get
>>adequate performance.
>>
>>Regards, hawk
>

> Hawk,
>
> Can you recommend a better video adapter? Maybe something from Nvidia
> or Hauppauge?

The Seagate is a weak link. The Maxtor 6Y160M0 is about the same price and
and is faster and more reliable.
See the Storage Review write up.
JPS

> Hello,
>
> I posted a question about a week ago asking for feedback on the
> components that I selected for my new system. I received a lot of
> great responses and changed almost everything that I had selected.
>
> Now I have implemented the suggestions and re-configured my system. I
> am within days of ordering and would like to get any last minute ideas
> before ordering.
>
> I want the computer to be well rounded with no one weak link. I am
> going to use it for everything from tracking my finances with
> Microsoft Money to recording my favorite TV shows. Of course the
> amount of money I spend on the system is a consideration, but more
> importantly I want to get it right the first time.
>
> Link to my configuration:
> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=728465
>
> Your input is greatly appreciated. :eek:)

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <1vf4a01o7o4a5lefv3dg6v5p9q9jg0v9tu@4ax.com>,
JH@homebuild.com says...

> >Actually, yes, I can make one recommendation.
> >
> >Go to www.zipzoomfly.com and price out everything you did at newegg.com.
> >You'll probably save yourself $100 -$200. ZipZoomFly used to be Googlegear.
> >
> >Also, I was going to purchase the same motherboard you are, the P4C800-E
> >(if you check Asus' website, there is no reference to a "deluxe" version
> >of this board, though someone may be able to correct me) and a 3.2ghz
> >P-4 Northwood. I was wondering why you decided on PC3200 DDRAM and not
> >the PC3700 DDRAM from Corsair? In doing what research I could, it seems
> >that the increase in FSB speed (433 vs. 400) offsets the increased CL
> >value of the 3200 over the 3700. Any info you can give me on this would
> >be greatly appreciated, since my RAM choice is really the last decision
> >I'm making.
> >
> >Paul
>
> Hey Paul,
>
> I will go to zipzoomfly.com once everything is set. As you can see, I
> am putting newegg's wish list to good use. :eek:)
>
> Here is a link to the P4C800-E Deluxe:
> http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/p4c800-e_d/overview.HTM
>
> The RAM was also my final decision. Here is quote from a knowledgable
> person regarding the RAM I chose: "I prefer the Low latency RAM over
> the high frequency stuff. Runs faster and stable in my experience."
>
> Thanks for the input and I hope that my info helped you too.

There definitely is a Deluxe board - I have one and it's working
beautifully.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar enough with all the specs to tell you
exactly what it is, that makes it "deluxe".

Louise

I read his shoot-out. It is a joke. He didn't do any testing except for one
pass on an old version of HD Tach.
His external/internal speeds in the chart are ridiculous, and he looked at
the 200G unit. The 160G unit is the hot product.
Don't get fooled. This guy is no pro and is pushing Asian products.
Read the real data from the pros at::

http://storagereview.com/articles/200302/200302276Y200x0_1.html

JPS

> >The Seagate is a weak link. The Maxtor 6Y160M0 is about the same price
and
> >and is faster and more reliable.
> >See the Storage Review write up.
> >JPS
>
> I considered the Maxtor line of Sata drives until I read the following
> article:
> http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=1028&cid=10&pg=14

Good advice maybe 2 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Dollar for
dollar, you're wasting money buying an Nvidia graphics card. Try getting up
to date on things before you give advice.

"hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> My experience has been with ATI and Nvidia. My applications include an
> older flight simulator, Jane's FA-18 and a new Flight Simulator,
> UbiSoft's Lock On. I never got adequate performance and quality from
> the ATI despite hours of tweaking both games and card. Nvidia gave
> perfect performance and quality out of the box with no tweaking of
> game or card. My cards are older than what you have specified. ATI
> 9000 Pro and Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200. I would go for the Nvidia
> equivalent of the ATI you specified.
>
> Regards, hawk
>
> JH@homebuild.com wrote:
> >>I wouldn't go with an ATI video adapter. I personally have had way too
> >>much trouble with drivers and the amount of tweaking necessary to get
> >>adequate performance.
> >>
> >>Regards, hawk
> >

> > Hawk,
> >
> > Can you recommend a better video adapter? Maybe something from Nvidia
> > or Hauppauge?

Hawk

Kill Bill, why don't you kiss my ass? I gave a specific example to
make my point, all you did was run your mouth.

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message news:<dxGoc.4667$zX.2742@news01.roc.ny>...
> Kill Bill wrote:
> > Good advice maybe 2 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Dollar for
> > dollar, you're wasting money buying an Nvidia graphics card. Try getting up
> > to date on things before you give advice.
> >
> > "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>My experience has been with ATI and Nvidia. My applications include an
> >>older flight simulator, Jane's FA-18 and a new Flight Simulator,
> >>UbiSoft's Lock On. I never got adequate performance and quality from
> >>the ATI despite hours of tweaking both games and card. Nvidia gave
> >>perfect performance and quality out of the box with no tweaking of
> >>game or card. My cards are older than what you have specified. ATI
> >>9000 Pro and Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200. I would go for the Nvidia
> >>equivalent of the ATI you specified.
> >>
> >>Regards, hawk

> Well, we are lucky to have somebody who is right on top of things.
>
> Please tell us which card works better with OpenGL under Linux or BSD.

LMAO... yeah, i guess if you're one of the big 3% of linux users out
there. as if that's what the OP is setting up his rig for... HEY!
don't buy ATI becuase they don't do DOS 3.1 well...lol

i also heard if you put a cd drive on the same channel with a hard
drive it only runs as slow as the cd drive..sheesh times change

Your examples from 2 years ago no longer apply.

> Kill Bill, why don't you kiss my ass? I gave a specific example to
> make my point, all you did was run your mouth.
>
> Kill Bill wrote:
>
> > Good advice maybe 2 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Dollar
for
> > dollar, you're wasting money buying an Nvidia graphics card. Try
getting up
> > to date on things before you give advice.
> >
> > "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>My experience has been with ATI and Nvidia. My applications include an
> >>older flight simulator, Jane's FA-18 and a new Flight Simulator,
> >>UbiSoft's Lock On. I never got adequate performance and quality from
> >>the ATI despite hours of tweaking both games and card. Nvidia gave
> >>perfect performance and quality out of the box with no tweaking of
> >>game or card. My cards are older than what you have specified. ATI
> >>9000 Pro and Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200. I would go for the Nvidia
> >>equivalent of the ATI you specified.
> >>
> >>Regards, hawk

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> Kill Bill wrote:
> > Good advice maybe 2 years ago. A lot has changed since then. Dollar
for
> > dollar, you're wasting money buying an Nvidia graphics card. Try
getting up
> > to date on things before you give advice.
> >
> > "hawk" <hawk@spamex.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>My experience has been with ATI and Nvidia. My applications include an
> >>older flight simulator, Jane's FA-18 and a new Flight Simulator,
> >>UbiSoft's Lock On. I never got adequate performance and quality from
> >>the ATI despite hours of tweaking both games and card. Nvidia gave
> >>perfect performance and quality out of the box with no tweaking of
> >>game or card. My cards are older than what you have specified. ATI
> >>9000 Pro and Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200. I would go for the Nvidia
> >>equivalent of the ATI you specified.
> >>
> >>Regards, hawk

> Well, we are lucky to have somebody who is right on top of things.
>
> Please tell us which card works better with OpenGL under Linux or BSD.

Who the hell cares? The person building the system is going to use Windows
XP. You always make such ridiculous points?

Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> said:

> In case you hadn't noticed, Windows is in decline. A million people
> who are clueless about Linux today will be using it a year or two
> from now.

It would be nice if it comes true but I suspect Linux will be in 3 years
where it was 3 years ago and where it is now, trying to be a better
Windows.
--
Sincerely,
The Vice President