Convert AT Case to ATX

Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
How do I make the change?

TIA

jad

GOT DREMMEL? and a steady hand, otherwise you'll have a ugly butchered
case. Since the case and PSU combo can be the cheapest thing to get,
I'd go new.

Yassir, Dotsmah, Heh wrote:

> Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
> necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
> My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
> accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
> power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
> and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
> But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
> uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
> How do I make the change?

Momentary type switches that will fit in your AT type switch opening
are available. Or, as mentioned, modify your existing switch.

On Wed, 12 May 2004 15:08:54 GMT, Yassir Dotsmah Beh-Beh wrote:

> Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
>necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
> My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
>accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
>power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
>and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
> But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
>uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
> How do I make the change?
>
>TIA

In a pinch use the reset button as the power button. Remember that not
only does the backplane need to be changed and the PSU and the switches
but also that the points/posts where you screw the new motherboard in
place will need to match.

IMO, easier in the long run to pay $10 more for a case/PSU combo. Antec
makes nice cases and good PSUs.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Yassir Dotsmah Beh-Beh wrote:

> Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
> necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
> My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
> accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
> power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
> and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
> But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
> uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
> How do I make the change?

Hello Yassir,

I recently built a PC based on a AT case. The solution I found was to
open the power switch and remove the latch. Works perfectly!

--
Paul

jaster

On Wed, 12 May 2004 16:47:54 +0100, Paul Hill while doing time wrote:

> Yassir Dotsmah Beh-Beh wrote:
>
>> Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
>> necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
>> My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
>> accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
>> power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
>> and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
>> But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
>> uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
>> How do I make the change?
>
> Hello Yassir,
>
> I recently built a PC based on a AT case. The solution I found was to
> open the power switch and remove the latch. Works perfectly!

Search google for AT/ATX motherboards there were a few. However, I have
to say there are very cheap ATX cases ($30) and inexpensive ATX
cpu/motherboard combos ($70) but memory is expensive ($50) at this time.

alex

You can get some nice ATX cases with 400+ watt psu's for very little money
now. Might as well save yourself the effort and time now and later buy
getting one

<Yassir Dotsmah Beh-Beh> wrote in message
> Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
> necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
> My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
> accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
> power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
> and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
> But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
> uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
> How do I make the change?
>
> TIA

<Yassir Dotsmah Beh-Beh> wrote in message
> Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
> necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
> My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
> accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
> power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
> and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
> But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
> uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
> How do I make the change?
>
> TIA

The posters who told you to forget about trying to adapt the old AT case and
buy a new ATX case were all 100% correct with their advise!

On Sat, 15 May 2004 10:14:56 -0400, "Panos Papadopolous"
<Panos@athens.net> wrote:

>The posters who told you to forget about trying to adapt the old AT case and
>buy a new ATX case were all 100% correct with their advise!

Thanks, Panos, for your reply (and to everyone else who did the same).
I'm shopping for a new case.

Yassir

ric wrote:
> Yassir, Dotsmah, Heh wrote:
>

>> Need to upgrade my old AMD K6-450 to something new which will, of
>>necessity, use an ATX motherboard.
>> My old AT case was built with an interchangeable backplate, to
>>accommodate either AT or ATX motherboards and came equipped with an AT
>>power supply. Since I'm on a budget, I'd like to save the old case
>>and spend the resulting savings on a better power supply.
>> But AT and ATX power supplies use different power switches -- AT
>>uses a standard on/off switch and ATX uses a momentary.
>> How do I make the change?
>

> Momentary type switches that will fit in your AT type switch opening
> are available. Or, as mentioned, modify your existing switch.
I have a bunch of boards on hand, that came from salvage dealers, and
eBay, that are switch-over boards with the power connectors for both AT
and ATX PSUs, and, have AT backplanes, but, take slot1 and/or socket 370
chips. I know that they are out there, if you wnat to try that!

I buy my new cases for $6.00 (new desktop AT boxes) to $39.00 (Codegen
ATX towers) from local dealers in Central Florida.
( http://cheapguys.com is one!)

Used AT cases, and modding them to fit an ATX board, are just not worth
my time, unless it is a special modding project! Especially when
buying new mainboards, and, other components!