Antistatic precautions?

Anyone have advice on this topic?...website resources or links to some good
quality kit for prevention of your new PC parts exploding?

Thanks.

Richard Dower wrote:
> Anyone have advice on this topic?...website resources or links to
> some good quality kit for prevention of your new PC parts exploding?
>
> Thanks.

Keep sensitive components in anti-static bags and use an earthed wrist strap
when working with them.

Alan

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Anyone have advice on this topic?...website resources or links to some
good
> quality kit for prevention of your new PC parts exploding?
>
> Thanks.

I have never used the anti-static wristband I bought way back.

BUT whenever working inside the case I always have the power turned off, and
I make sure to discharge any body static by touching bare metal on the case.

Usually I rest an elbow on the case.

I also am very careful when handling PCI cards or other hardware to avoid
touching any of the current carrying sections.

I do not pull the power plug out of the wall.

Never have had any problems.

The most important thing to do when assembling your own computer is to do it
step-by-step, checking each step as you go along.

Make your first test when you have the memory in the motherboard, the cpu
installed with HeatSinkFan installed, the power supply plugged into the
board, and the PC speaker plugged into the board.

Turn on the power, and listen for the beep that signifies a successful post.

This indicates all is OK so far. If no beep you have done something
improperly.

Make all additions with Power OFF.

Next add video card and repeat. If post produces a beep, all is OK so far.

Next add a monitor, listen for beep, and watch screen for error message such
as, "no keyboard".

Add keyboard, repeat steps.

Add Sound card before any other card. Repeat steps.

Add floppy drive, hard drive, cd drives in that order, still checking after
each addition.

With all that installed OK, partition and format the hard drive and install
the Operating System of your choice.

Any readers of this post who wish to comment re any omissions or errors and
suggest corrections will be welcomed.

In conclusion, if you decide to ignore my suggestions, throw it all together
and power up, and it works, consider yourself 'lucky".

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

> I just cover the whole desk with some pink anti-static foam sheet and
> work barefoot and shirtless.

Sounds like a crack factory.
Maybe I can get my girlfriend to help me build my next PC.

"Uh, by the way . . ."

Dave