Minor Goof building home PC-PVR: Suggestions?

Hi, all...

I've made a minor goof in selecting components for a home PC/PVR
device, and as I've explored my options, I'm getting confused. I
should have been more careful up front, but alas,
hindsight...anyway.....

I want to be able to use this PC as a live TV recorder, DVD authoring
station, and video playback unit (for videos archived on the local
hard drive, but not burned to a DVD).

I ordered an AverMedia UltraTV MediaCenter PCI 550, and an Abit IS10
MB with Intel Extreme2 onboard graphics. My error was in realizing
that for all my careful study, I have no s-video out back to the
television for the output of the PC (from recorded media). Doh.

As I see it, I have two choices - do I dump the AverMedia product and
go pick up something like an All In Wonder 9600, or do I just need to
pick up a modest AGP video card with an s-video out (which are
seemingly available for $40-$60)? (In either case, note that the TV
will be the only monitor for this setup...)

Appreciate your opinions...

-dew

On 12 May 2004 21:02:37 -0700, intrepid_dw@hotmail.com (David Whitney)
wrote:

>Hi, all...
>
>I've made a minor goof in selecting components for a home PC/PVR
>device, and as I've explored my options, I'm getting confused. I
>should have been more careful up front, but alas,
>hindsight...anyway.....
>
>I want to be able to use this PC as a live TV recorder, DVD authoring
>station, and video playback unit (for videos archived on the local
>hard drive, but not burned to a DVD).
>
>I ordered an AverMedia UltraTV MediaCenter PCI 550, and an Abit IS10
>MB with Intel Extreme2 onboard graphics. My error was in realizing
>that for all my careful study, I have no s-video out back to the
>television for the output of the PC (from recorded media). Doh.
>
>As I see it, I have two choices - do I dump the AverMedia product and
>go pick up something like an All In Wonder 9600, or do I just need to
>pick up a modest AGP video card with an s-video out (which are
>seemingly available for $40-$60)? (In either case, note that the TV
>will be the only monitor for this setup...)
>
>Appreciate your opinions...
>
>-dew

You could just get a video card with s-video outs fi you're not
looking to spend more moolah.
You don't need an expensive game card, any card with at least 2d
graphics will do.
I run an Invidia 64bit AGP card in my video editing setup and it works
just fine.

Stacey

David Whitney wrote:

> Hi, all...
>
> I've made a minor goof in selecting components for a home PC/PVR
> device, and as I've explored my options, I'm getting confused. I
> should have been more careful up front, but alas,
> hindsight...anyway.....
>
> I want to be able to use this PC as a live TV recorder, DVD authoring
> station, and video playback unit (for videos archived on the local
> hard drive, but not burned to a DVD).
>
> I ordered an AverMedia UltraTV MediaCenter PCI 550, and an Abit IS10
> MB with Intel Extreme2 onboard graphics. My error was in realizing
> that for all my careful study, I have no s-video out back to the
> television for the output of the PC (from recorded media). Doh.
>
> As I see it, I have two choices - do I dump the AverMedia product and
> go pick up something like an All In Wonder 9600, or do I just need to
> pick up a modest AGP video card with an s-video out (which are
> seemingly available for $40-$60)? (In either case, note that the TV
> will be the only monitor for this setup...)

I assume this "mediacenter" card allows the video in you need, just no TV
out? If so just get a Svideo AGP card. It will help take some of the load
off the CPU from the "extream graphics" chip and help performance to boot.

--

Stacey

intrepid_dw@hotmail.com (David Whitney) said:

> I want to be able to use this PC as a live TV recorder, DVD authoring
> station, and video playback unit
>
> I have no s-video out back to the
> television for the output of the PC (from recorded media). Doh.
>
> As I see it, I have two choices - do I dump the AverMedia product and
> go pick up something like an All In Wonder 9600, or do I just need to
> pick up a modest AGP video card with an s-video out

You will need a way to get the signal into the PC if you are going to
record it. A standard video card will not do that. The All-In-Wonder
Radeon 9000 would set you back about $160 and do what you want.
--
McQualude

All:

Thanks for the info. Indeed, I picked up a Radeon 9200se card at the
local computer shop Friday, and it does precisely what I need. I
probably paid a couple extra bucks for it than had I done my homework,
but that's how it goes.

Thanks for the input.

-dew

Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<2gpgnjF5feqmU3@uni-berlin.de>...
> David Whitney wrote:
>
> > Hi, all...
> >
> > I've made a minor goof in selecting components for a home PC/PVR
> > device, and as I've explored my options, I'm getting confused. I
> > should have been more careful up front, but alas,
> > hindsight...anyway.....
> >
> > I want to be able to use this PC as a live TV recorder, DVD authoring
> > station, and video playback unit (for videos archived on the local
> > hard drive, but not burned to a DVD).
> >
> > I ordered an AverMedia UltraTV MediaCenter PCI 550, and an Abit IS10
> > MB with Intel Extreme2 onboard graphics. My error was in realizing
> > that for all my careful study, I have no s-video out back to the
> > television for the output of the PC (from recorded media). Doh.
> >
> > As I see it, I have two choices - do I dump the AverMedia product and
> > go pick up something like an All In Wonder 9600, or do I just need to
> > pick up a modest AGP video card with an s-video out (which are
> > seemingly available for $40-$60)? (In either case, note that the TV
> > will be the only monitor for this setup...)
> >

> I assume this "mediacenter" card allows the video in you need, just no TV
> out? If so just get a Svideo AGP card. It will help take some of the load
> off the CPU from the "extream graphics" chip and help performance to boot.

intrepid_dw@hotmail.com (David Whitney) said:

> Thanks for the info. Indeed, I picked up a Radeon 9200se card at the
> local computer shop Friday, and it does precisely what I need. I
> probably paid a couple extra bucks for it than had I done my homework,
> but that's how it goes.

How do you get TV input with the 9200se? Or are you using both cards in
conjuntion?
--
McQualude

Nevermind, I saw the answer in your other post.
--
McQualude