How to setup my pc for avchd video rendering

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Hello,
I'm having trouble rendering from mov files edited in Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection to AVCHD. After about 20 min of video, artifacts begin to appear as figures move horizontally.

Solution
It is possible that they both use either the same encoder, decoder or both. Its proprietary software so who knows!

For 3rd party encoders you can install ffdshow-tryouts to get access to a large assortment. or install x264-vfw. (x264 is the best H.264 encoder, it is also free and open source). make sure you install the correct version(ie even if your OS is 64bit if your editing applications are 32bit you need 32bit ffdshow.)

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

If you choose the last option, the best way would be to:
1.)install avisynth and avisynth virtual filesystem
2.)write avisynth script to decode video with ffmpegsource
3.)server file to avid/pinnacle, edit and encode.

I know it...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What are the basic specifications of your system? Be sure to include you CPU, video card (GPU), amount of memory, and power supply . Would also be useful to know what major applications you are using aside from what is mentioned in your post.

Are you running any utilities to measure temps (like speccy or hwmonitor)? You are describing a system with a heat or power issue.

Please clarify. Good luck!

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
It could possibly be heat, but it could also be a problem with the rendering software. You could try improving the airflow in your box to see if that helps. You could also try different transcoding software.

FWIW I sequence/edit entirely in AVCHD and render based on target device. On a 2 year old Core Quad/8GB/8800GT the process is fairly smooth and painless (Adobe Premiere CS5) and I was able to configure the box for full res live edit/preview.

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

I listed the following as my configuration info:

Acer Aspire AM330-U1332 Multimedia Desktop
AMD Phenom II X4 810 quad-core processor
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Integrated

I do use msconfig and EndItAll to eliminate excess background programs and I deactivate the Norton Security Suite and stop activity across the firewall. I don't know the power supply but there is a gadget telling processor and ram percent load which I have watched as the rendering is proceeding. I stays at 98-99% for most of the process. I'll try a temp gauge of some sort. Is there one that records during the process?

I'm replacing Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection with the new Avid Studio supposedly next week when it becomes first available as a download. Perhaps it will distribute CPU duties more efficiently.

Thanks for your interest. I'll find a way to observe heat buildup.

tcfloyd

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011

Refer the my answer to COLGeek re my configuration and measures I plan to employ, such as using upgraded software and measuring heat buildup. He like you believes that it might be related to heat.

Thanks for your interest,
cfloyd

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
OK, what I did today was use the brand new Avid Studio to render the same material, but, alas, the problem still shows up . But interestingly, it showed up at two places in the video: 1) after about 26 min in, lasting to about 33 min in, then starting again at about 36 min in and lasting for the rest of the video which is about 58 min total. The Avid program accepts this length of 720p recorded video as an easy fit at Best Quality (100%) on a dual-layered DVD whereas Pinnacle Studio 14 would not. Now that rendering software doesn't seem to be the issue, I will proceed with using extra ventilation during the run. For that I will place a small high-powered fan pointed into the intake vent of the computer case. Stay tuned.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Pop the side cover off and blow the air directly into the case. If that solves the problem, you will need to refine your cooling flow.

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
Disappointment. I re-rendered the material with the side of the PC removed and a 9-inch box fan blowing into it. The same artifact appeared at almost the same point, 26min in. The original .mov file shows no such artifact.

Having ruled out software and temperature issues, I'm thinking that I have a serious defect in the hardware. Any other ideas? I looked at CPUID HWMonitor data but can't interpret it in any way that makes sense to me. Is there monitoring software that will yield a plot of, say, the 4 core temperatures and other pertinent measurest such as buffer overloads over the course of the run?

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
20110318VidcapsAVCHDRendered24And26MinIn

I'll try to make a video clip where the artifact begins.

Thanks for your interest.

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
The source .mov files don't show any artifact anywhere. And no, no over-clocking is present that I know of. The machine is running as factory equipped. I want a decent monitoring utility that will plot a graph of machine parameters during a rendering run without adding much of a load. Will CPUID's HWMonitor Pro do the job? Or is there a better one?

One other query: The machine can hold another 2GB of DDR3 Ram. It has 6GB now. Could that help?

Good News: Yes this a encoder or decoder error (more likely decoder incorrectly decoding your source and feeding bad data to encoder). you can clearly see the macro blocks. Extremely likely it is not a hardware failure. If it was hardware your machine would probably bluescreen, spontaneously reboot or the application would hang. Also it would not happen in the same spots.

1.) have you tried playing back with any other player? it could just be windows media player bug. Play back with VLC, Mplayer, or MPC-HC to confirm this.
2.) are the macroblocks present in other encoders? if so then then its either a problem with your source or decoder bug feeding bad data to the encoder.
3.) are the macroblocks only present in this encoder? if so then the encoder has a bug.

One other query: The machine can hold another 2GB of DDR3 Ram. It has 6GB now. Could that help?
video encoding is light on RAM (6gb is already way more than you would need) and heavy on CPU. In my opinion it would be a gross waste of money.

PS. not really a problem this time, but in the future please post PNG and not JPEG. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish jpeg artifact from other artifact.

tcfloyd

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2011
I've used two rendering (encoding) programs: Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate Collection and the new Avid Studio, an upgrade from Pinnacle. So maybe they both use the same encoder.
Next step, find a definite third party encoder and set Studio to use it if possible.
Step if that fails, try a third party decoder and transcode the.mov files to .avi before editing and encoding. That'll take some time. Later.

It is possible that they both use either the same encoder, decoder or both. Its proprietary software so who knows!

For 3rd party encoders you can install ffdshow-tryouts to get access to a large assortment. or install x264-vfw. (x264 is the best H.264 encoder, it is also free and open source). make sure you install the correct version(ie even if your OS is 64bit if your editing applications are 32bit you need 32bit ffdshow.)

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

If you choose the last option, the best way would be to:
1.)install avisynth and avisynth virtual filesystem
2.)write avisynth script to decode video with ffmpegsource
3.)server file to avid/pinnacle, edit and encode.

I know it sounds complicated and a pain, but once you get your head wrapped around it, it is all very simple. So please do your self a favor and post over at www.doom9.org if you want more information about this stuff. There is a archive of knowledge (more than you will ever want to know) and enormous support from the expert members (seriously this is where the developers hang out).

Solution