Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Trouble

Hi there,

I recently built myself a new computer.
When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
Here are my system specs-

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
P4 3.0E CPU
1 80 gig SATA drives
1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB

Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
and has steady rails.....

Help Please

--Ian
18 answers Last reply
More about asus p4p800 deluxe trouble

    Ian Hopkins wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I recently built myself a new computer.
    > When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    > If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    > I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    > Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    > Here are my system specs-
    >
    > Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    > 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    > P4 3.0E CPU
    > 1 80 gig SATA drives
    > 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    > Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    > Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    > Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >
    > Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
    > and has steady rails.....
    >
    > Help Please
    >
    > --Ian

    When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to start
    POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message on screen?

    Memory timing issue?...change the values from SPD to Manual, alter the
    timings until it's stable.

    user@domain.invalid wrote:

    > Ian Hopkins wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> I recently built myself a new computer.
    >> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    >> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    >> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    >> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    >> Here are my system specs-
    >>
    >> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    >> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    >> P4 3.0E CPU
    >> 1 80 gig SATA drives
    >> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    >> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    >> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    >> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >>
    >> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
    >> and has steady rails.....
    >>
    >> Help Please
    >>
    >> --Ian
    >

    > When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to start
    > POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message on screen?

    It fails the POST at power on and will not boot. No onscreen messages
    becuase the CPU post is before the VGA post. I know its failing the PU
    becuase my motherboard tell me through my speakers.

    Ian Hopkins wrote:
    > user@domain.invalid wrote:
    >

    >> Ian Hopkins wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> I recently built myself a new computer.
    >>> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    >>> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    >>> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    >>> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    >>> Here are my system specs-
    >>>
    >>> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    >>> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    >>> P4 3.0E CPU
    >>> 1 80 gig SATA drives
    >>> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    >>> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    >>> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    >>> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >>>
    >>> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
    >>> and has steady rails.....
    >>>
    >>> Help Please
    >>>
    >>> --Ian
    >>

    >> When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to
    >> start POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message
    >> on screen?
    >>
    > It fails the POST at power on and will not boot. No onscreen messages
    > becuase the CPU post is before the VGA post. I know its failing the PU
    > becuase my motherboard tell me through my speakers.

    In that case, Richard might well be right. Normally clearing the CMOS
    will set the speed setting for RAM (if there is one) at a more
    conservative value if you have difficulty in entering CMOS for that
    purpose. You might also remove the RAM and clean the contacts either
    with a pencil eraser or alcohol and try it again. It sounds an awful
    lot like your RAM is not working each time.

    user@domain.invalid wrote:

    > Ian Hopkins wrote:
    >
    >> user@domain.invalid wrote:

    >>> When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to
    >>> start POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message
    >>> on screen?
    >>>
    >> It fails the POST at power on and will not boot. No onscreen messages
    >> becuase the CPU post is before the VGA post. I know its failing the PU
    >> becuase my motherboard tell me through my speakers.
    >

    > In that case, Richard might well be right. Normally clearing the
    > CMOS will set the speed setting for RAM (if there is one) at a more
    > conservative value if you have difficulty in entering CMOS for that
    > purpose. You might also remove the RAM and clean the contacts either
    > with a pencil eraser or alcohol and try it again. It sounds an awful
    > lot like your RAM is not working each time.

    I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
    the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
    Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
    said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.

    Ian Hopkins wrote:

    > I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
    > the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
    > Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
    > said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.

    So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others cause
    this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a P4P800 which
    turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just find in another
    system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey about a certain
    voltage being spot on?

    --

    Stacey

    > Ian Hopkinswrote:
    Hi there,

    > I recently built myself a new computer.
    > When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    > If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    > I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    > Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    > Here are my system specs-
    >
    > Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    > 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    > P4 3.0E CPU
    > 1 80 gig SATA drives
    > 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    > Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    > Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    > Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >
    > Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
    watt
    > and has steady rails.....
    >
    > Help Please
    >
    > --Ian

    Hi there!

    I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...

    I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
    HD
    However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
    left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
    every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
    reboot...

    My Specs are:

    Prescott P4 2.8E GHZ CPU
    Asus P4P800-E Dx motherboard
    1 Stick 512MB Hynix Pc3200 RAM
    MSI Nvidia FX5600 XT
    1 40 Gig Samsung HD (IDE)
    1 Samsung 8x4x32 CD-RW

    Any help would be awesome!

    Thanks!

    ==============

    Brandon wrote:

    >> Ian Hopkinswrote:
    > Hi there,
    >>
    >> I recently built myself a new computer.
    >> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    >> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    >> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    >> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    >> Here are my system specs-
    >>
    >> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    >> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    >> P4 3.0E CPU
    >> 1 80 gig SATA drives
    >> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    >> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    >> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    >> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >>
    >> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
    > watt
    >> and has steady rails.....
    >>
    >> Help Please
    >>
    >> --Ian
    >
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
    >
    > I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
    > HD
    > However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
    > left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
    > every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
    > reboot...

    Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?

    --

    Stacey

    Brandon wrote:
    >>Ian Hopkinswrote:
    >
    > Hi there,
    >
    >>I recently built myself a new computer.
    >>When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    >>If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    >>I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    >>Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    >>Here are my system specs-
    >>
    >>Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    >>2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    >>P4 3.0E CPU
    >>1 80 gig SATA drives
    >>1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    >>Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    >>Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    >>Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >>
    >>Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
    >
    > watt
    >
    >>and has steady rails.....
    >>
    >>Help Please
    >>
    >>--Ian
    >

    > Hi there!
    >
    > I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
    >
    > I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
    > HD
    > However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
    > left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
    > every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
    > reboot...
    >
    > My Specs are:
    >
    > Prescott P4 2.8E GHZ CPU
    > Asus P4P800-E Dx motherboard
    > 1 Stick 512MB Hynix Pc3200 RAM
    > MSI Nvidia FX5600 XT
    > 1 40 Gig Samsung HD (IDE)
    > 1 Samsung 8x4x32 CD-RW
    >
    > Any help would be awesome!
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > ==============
    > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
    The fact that other people are having similar problems is making me
    think that there is somthing wrong with the board. ASUS tech support
    told me to take out the motherboard and check for grounding problems but
    after spending several hours taking it out I still have the same
    problem. They sugested I RMA the motherboard. Do you think evry ASUS
    p4p800-e Deluxe will have this problem or just mine???

    Stacey wrote:
    > Brandon wrote:
    >

    >>>Ian Hopkinswrote:
    >>
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>>I recently built myself a new computer.
    >>>When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    >>>If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    >>>I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    >>>Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    >>>Here are my system specs-
    >>>
    >>>Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    >>>2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    >>>P4 3.0E CPU
    >>>1 80 gig SATA drives
    >>>1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    >>>Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    >>>Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    >>>Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >>>
    >>>Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
    >>
    >>watt
    >>
    >>>and has steady rails.....
    >>>
    >>>Help Please
    >>>
    >>>--Ian
    >>
    >>Hi there!
    >>
    >>I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
    >>
    >>I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
    >>HD
    >>However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
    >>left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
    >>every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
    >>reboot...
    >>

    > Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?

    It fails the post test. The POST (Power on System Test) happens before
    anything else. Nothing can happen before the POST test is passes. You
    cant even display somthing on the screen. zmotherborads use
    sound(on-board audio only) or LED lights built into the motherborad to
    diagnose POST problems. The system works totally fine after it passes
    (which happens after I switch it off and on several times).

    Ian Hopkins wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> Brandon wrote:

    >>>I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
    >>>
    >>>I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
    >>>HD
    >>>However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
    >>>left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
    >>>every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
    >>>reboot...
    >>>

    >> Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?

    I was talking to the other guy, his goes through post and won't load the OS,
    different problem. His could be something wrong with the XP install or
    trying to migrate his XP install from another machine.

    > It fails the post test. The POST (Power on System Test) happens before
    > anything else.

    You never answered my post about the PSU's, I understood you to say it boots
    everytime with the 300WPSU you have but is flakey on the others?

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey wrote:
    > Ian Hopkins wrote:
    >

    >>I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
    >>the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
    >>Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
    >>said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.
    >

    > So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others cause
    > this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a P4P800 which
    > turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just find in another
    > system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey about a certain
    > voltage being spot on?

    Here are the voltages for my 520 watt.
    +12v 11.855
    +5v 5.08
    +3v 3.313
    Vcore 1.36

    My p4 runs of the 12v rail right?

    Ill post my 300 watt voltages in a sec, i need to stick it in.

    Ian Hopkins wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:
    >> Ian Hopkins wrote:
    >>

    >>>I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
    >>>the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
    >>>Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
    >>>said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.
    >>

    >> So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others
    >> cause this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a
    >> P4P800 which turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just
    >> find in another system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey
    >> about a certain voltage being spot on?
    >>
    > Here are the voltages for my 520 watt.
    > +12v 11.855
    > +5v 5.08
    > +3v 3.313
    > Vcore 1.36
    >
    > My p4 runs of the 12v rail right?
    >
    > Ill post my 300 watt voltages in a sec, i need to stick it in.

    Lets keep this simple, does it or does it not act flakey with the 300W PSU
    you have?
    --

    Stacey

    Stacey wrote:

    > Ian Hopkins wrote:
    >

    >>Stacey wrote:

    >>> Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?
    >>>

    > I was talking to the other guy, his goes through post and won't load the OS,
    > different problem. His could be something wrong with the XP install or
    > trying to migrate his XP install from another machine.
    >

    >>It fails the post test. The POST (Power on System Test) happens before
    >>anything else.
    >

    > You never answered my post about the PSU's, I understood you to say it boots
    > everytime with the 300WPSU you have but is flakey on the others?

    Sorry, realized that just after i posted this one. I'm aswering your
    post about my PSU 's right now.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    >>> Ian Hopkinswrote:
    >>
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >>> I recently built myself a new computer.
    >>> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    >>> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    >>> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    >>> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    >>> Here are my system specs-
    >>>
    >>> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
    >>> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
    >>> P4 3.0E CPU
    >>> 1 80 gig SATA drives
    >>> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
    >>> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
    >>> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    >>> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
    >>>
    >>> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
    >>
    >> watt
    >>
    >>> and has steady rails.....
    >>>
    >>> Help Please
    >>>
    >>> --Ian
    <<one post snipped>>

    In news:Rivpc.8846$hH.223111@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
    Ian Hopkins <linuxfanatic1990@yahoo.com> typed:

    > The fact that other people are having similar problems is making me
    > think that there is somthing wrong with the board. ASUS tech support
    > told me to take out the motherboard and check for grounding problems
    > but after spending several hours taking it out I still have the same
    > problem. They sugested I RMA the motherboard. Do you think evry ASUS
    > p4p800-e Deluxe will have this problem or just mine???

    I RMA'ed my Asus (same model as listed above) about 2 months ago as it came
    with dead fan headers except for the CPU. Weird, but true. No BIO solution
    would 'fix' it so back it went. Made me leery of Asus at the present, so I
    bought another brand. I *really* believe they are having quality control
    problems, or maybe design problems with this board as there are too many
    reports of problems.

    ....Allen
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Stacey wrote:
    > Ian Hopkins wrote:
    >

    >>Stacey wrote:

    >>>So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others
    >>>cause this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a
    >>>P4P800 which turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just
    >>>find in another system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey
    >>>about a certain voltage being spot on?
    >>>

    >>Here are the voltages for my 520 watt.
    >>+12v 11.855
    >>+5v 5.08
    >>+3v 3.313
    >>Vcore 1.36
    >>
    >>My p4 runs of the 12v rail right?
    >>
    >>Ill post my 300 watt voltages in a sec, i need to stick it in.
    >

    > Lets keep this simple, does it or does it not act flakey with the 300W PSU
    > you have?
    No. It does not act flakey with the 300w.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Ian Hopkins wrote:

    > Stacey wrote:

    >> Lets keep this simple, does it or does it not act flakey with the 300W
    >> PSU you have?
    > No. It does not act flakey with the 300w.

    Then obviously those other PSU's are causing the problem. Go buy something
    like a Sparkle brand in the wattage you need and you're problem is solved.

    Like I said I think these are picky about the quality of the PSU as mine was
    acting just like your's is with one PSU and that PSU works fine on another
    system.
    --

    Stacey
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    > I recently built myself a new computer.
    > When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
    > If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
    > I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
    > Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
    > Here are my system specs-

    My son had exactly the same problem with that MB. He RMA'ed and it came back
    with the same problem. A second return to be repaired, came back again,
    unfixed. He gave up on ASUS and bought another brand MB. I am running an
    ASUS P4S533 and have had no problems but because of his problems I will not
    be buying an ASUS MB next time.

    Ron

Homebuilt Systems