Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Trouble

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2004 8:51:34 AM

Hi there,

I recently built myself a new computer.
When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
Here are my system specs-

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
P4 3.0E CPU
1 80 gig SATA drives
1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB

Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
and has steady rails.....

Help Please

--Ian
May 14, 2004 1:22:52 PM

Ian Hopkins wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I recently built myself a new computer.
> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
> Here are my system specs-
>
> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
> P4 3.0E CPU
> 1 80 gig SATA drives
> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>
> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
> and has steady rails.....
>
> Help Please
>
> --Ian

When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to start
POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message on screen?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 14, 2004 5:17:08 PM

Memory timing issue?...change the values from SPD to Manual, alter the
timings until it's stable.

<user@domain.invalid> wrote in message

> Ian Hopkins wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I recently built myself a new computer.
> > When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
> > If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
> > I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
> > Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
> > Here are my system specs-
> >
> > Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
> > 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
> > P4 3.0E CPU
> > 1 80 gig SATA drives
> > 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
> > Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
> > Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
> > Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
> >
> > Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
> > and has steady rails.....
> >
> > Help Please
> >
> > --Ian
>
> When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to start
> POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message on screen?

a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2004 2:17:22 AM

user@domain.invalid wrote:

> Ian Hopkins wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I recently built myself a new computer.
>> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
>> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
>> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
>> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
>> Here are my system specs-
>>
>> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
>> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
>> P4 3.0E CPU
>> 1 80 gig SATA drives
>> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
>> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
>> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
>> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>>
>> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
>> and has steady rails.....
>>
>> Help Please
>>
>> --Ian
>

> When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to start
> POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message on screen?

It fails the POST at power on and will not boot. No onscreen messages
becuase the CPU post is before the VGA post. I know its failing the PU
becuase my motherboard tell me through my speakers.
May 15, 2004 2:51:07 AM

Ian Hopkins wrote:
> user@domain.invalid wrote:
>

>> Ian Hopkins wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I recently built myself a new computer.
>>> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
>>> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
>>> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
>>> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
>>> Here are my system specs-
>>>
>>> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
>>> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
>>> P4 3.0E CPU
>>> 1 80 gig SATA drives
>>> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
>>> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
>>> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
>>> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>>>
>>> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300 watt
>>> and has steady rails.....
>>>
>>> Help Please
>>>
>>> --Ian
>>

>> When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to
>> start POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message
>> on screen?
>>
> It fails the POST at power on and will not boot. No onscreen messages
> becuase the CPU post is before the VGA post. I know its failing the PU
> becuase my motherboard tell me through my speakers.

In that case, Richard might well be right. Normally clearing the CMOS
will set the speed setting for RAM (if there is one) at a more
conservative value if you have difficulty in entering CMOS for that
purpose. You might also remove the RAM and clean the contacts either
with a pencil eraser or alcohol and try it again. It sounds an awful
lot like your RAM is not working each time.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 15, 2004 3:16:40 AM

user@domain.invalid wrote:

> Ian Hopkins wrote:
>
>> user@domain.invalid wrote:

>>> When it fails POST, does it start it at all or does it fail to
>>> start POST?? If it starts, at what point does it fail? Any message
>>> on screen?
>>>
>> It fails the POST at power on and will not boot. No onscreen messages
>> becuase the CPU post is before the VGA post. I know its failing the PU
>> becuase my motherboard tell me through my speakers.
>

> In that case, Richard might well be right. Normally clearing the
> CMOS will set the speed setting for RAM (if there is one) at a more
> conservative value if you have difficulty in entering CMOS for that
> purpose. You might also remove the RAM and clean the contacts either
> with a pencil eraser or alcohol and try it again. It sounds an awful
> lot like your RAM is not working each time.

I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.
May 15, 2004 3:16:41 AM

Ian Hopkins wrote:

> I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
> the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
> Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
> said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.

So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others cause
this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a P4P800 which
turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just find in another
system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey about a certain
voltage being spot on?

--

Stacey
Anonymous

> Ian Hopkinswrote:
Hi there,

> I recently built myself a new computer.
> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
> Here are my system specs-
>
> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
> P4 3.0E CPU
> 1 80 gig SATA drives
> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>
> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
watt
> and has steady rails.....
>
> Help Please
>
> --Ian

Hi there!

I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...

I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
HD
However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
reboot...

My Specs are:

Prescott P4 2.8E GHZ CPU
Asus P4P800-E Dx motherboard
1 Stick 512MB Hynix Pc3200 RAM
MSI Nvidia FX5600 XT
1 40 Gig Samsung HD (IDE)
1 Samsung 8x4x32 CD-RW

Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

==============
May 15, 2004 11:38:08 PM

Brandon wrote:

>> Ian Hopkinswrote:
> Hi there,
>>
>> I recently built myself a new computer.
>> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
>> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
>> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
>> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
>> Here are my system specs-
>>
>> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
>> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
>> P4 3.0E CPU
>> 1 80 gig SATA drives
>> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
>> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
>> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
>> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>>
>> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
> watt
>> and has steady rails.....
>>
>> Help Please
>>
>> --Ian
>
> Hi there!
>
> I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
>
> I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
> HD
> However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
> left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
> every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
> reboot...

Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Brandon wrote:
>>Ian Hopkinswrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
>>I recently built myself a new computer.
>>When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
>>If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
>>I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
>>Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
>>Here are my system specs-
>>
>>Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
>>2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
>>P4 3.0E CPU
>>1 80 gig SATA drives
>>1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
>>Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
>>Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
>>Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>>
>>Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
>
> watt
>
>>and has steady rails.....
>>
>>Help Please
>>
>>--Ian
>

> Hi there!
>
> I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
>
> I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
> HD
> However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
> left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
> every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
> reboot...
>
> My Specs are:
>
> Prescott P4 2.8E GHZ CPU
> Asus P4P800-E Dx motherboard
> 1 Stick 512MB Hynix Pc3200 RAM
> MSI Nvidia FX5600 XT
> 1 40 Gig Samsung HD (IDE)
> 1 Samsung 8x4x32 CD-RW
>
> Any help would be awesome!
>
> Thanks!
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
The fact that other people are having similar problems is making me
think that there is somthing wrong with the board. ASUS tech support
told me to take out the motherboard and check for grounding problems but
after spending several hours taking it out I still have the same
problem. They sugested I RMA the motherboard. Do you think evry ASUS
p4p800-e Deluxe will have this problem or just mine???
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2004 5:31:57 AM

Stacey wrote:
> Brandon wrote:
>

>>>Ian Hopkinswrote:
>>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>>I recently built myself a new computer.
>>>When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
>>>If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
>>>I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
>>>Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
>>>Here are my system specs-
>>>
>>>Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
>>>2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
>>>P4 3.0E CPU
>>>1 80 gig SATA drives
>>>1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
>>>Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
>>>Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
>>>Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>>>
>>>Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
>>
>>watt
>>
>>>and has steady rails.....
>>>
>>>Help Please
>>>
>>>--Ian
>>
>>Hi there!
>>
>>I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
>>
>>I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
>>HD
>>However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
>>left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
>>every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
>>reboot...
>>

> Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?

It fails the post test. The POST (Power on System Test) happens before
anything else. Nothing can happen before the POST test is passes. You
cant even display somthing on the screen. zmotherborads use
sound(on-board audio only) or LED lights built into the motherborad to
diagnose POST problems. The system works totally fine after it passes
(which happens after I switch it off and on several times).
May 16, 2004 5:31:58 AM

Ian Hopkins wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>> Brandon wrote:

>>>I just bought a P4P800-E DX too... having a similar problem...
>>>
>>>I can get into BIOS and everything just fine, it even recognizes my
>>>HD
>>>However everytime I try to boot from it, it reboots. I've actually
>>>left it in a continuous reboot loop for about 3 or 4 minutes... and
>>>every time it gets JUST before the Win XP pop on Screen and *poof*
>>>reboot...
>>>

>> Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?

I was talking to the other guy, his goes through post and won't load the OS,
different problem. His could be something wrong with the XP install or
trying to migrate his XP install from another machine.

> It fails the post test. The POST (Power on System Test) happens before
> anything else.

You never answered my post about the PSU's, I understood you to say it boots
everytime with the 300WPSU you have but is flakey on the others?

--

Stacey
Anonymous

Stacey wrote:
> Ian Hopkins wrote:
>

>>I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
>>the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
>>Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
>>said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.
>

> So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others cause
> this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a P4P800 which
> turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just find in another
> system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey about a certain
> voltage being spot on?

Here are the voltages for my 520 watt.
+12v 11.855
+5v 5.08
+3v 3.313
Vcore 1.36

My p4 runs of the 12v rail right?

Ill post my 300 watt voltages in a sec, i need to stick it in.
May 16, 2004 6:55:59 AM

Ian Hopkins wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>> Ian Hopkins wrote:
>>

>>>I know that that is not the case becuase when my ram is removed i get
>>>the same problem. The POST test tests my CPU first, then RAM, Then Video
>>>Card. It works evry time with my 300 watt. but not my 420 and 520. As i
>>>said, my 520 is nicer than my 300 watt and has steady rails.
>>

>> So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others
>> cause this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a
>> P4P800 which turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just
>> find in another system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey
>> about a certain voltage being spot on?
>>
> Here are the voltages for my 520 watt.
> +12v 11.855
> +5v 5.08
> +3v 3.313
> Vcore 1.36
>
> My p4 runs of the 12v rail right?
>
> Ill post my 300 watt voltages in a sec, i need to stick it in.

Lets keep this simple, does it or does it not act flakey with the 300W PSU
you have?
--

Stacey
Anonymous

Stacey wrote:

> Ian Hopkins wrote:
>

>>Stacey wrote:

>>> Will it boot from a floppy or a CD?
>>>

> I was talking to the other guy, his goes through post and won't load the OS,
> different problem. His could be something wrong with the XP install or
> trying to migrate his XP install from another machine.
>

>>It fails the post test. The POST (Power on System Test) happens before
>>anything else.
>

> You never answered my post about the PSU's, I understood you to say it boots
> everytime with the 300WPSU you have but is flakey on the others?

Sorry, realized that just after i posted this one. I'm aswering your
post about my PSU 's right now.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2004 4:12:29 PM

>>> Ian Hopkinswrote:
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>>> I recently built myself a new computer.
>>> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
>>> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
>>> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
>>> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
>>> Here are my system specs-
>>>
>>> Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Motherboard
>>> 2 512 OCZ Memory 400 mhz
>>> P4 3.0E CPU
>>> 1 80 gig SATA drives
>>> 1 Mitsumi Floppy Drive
>>> Lite-On 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
>>> Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
>>> Albatron GeForce 5700 256 MB
>>>
>>> Is it a motherboard problem??? My 520 watt is better than my 300
>>
>> watt
>>
>>> and has steady rails.....
>>>
>>> Help Please
>>>
>>> --Ian
<<one post snipped>>

In news:Rivpc.8846$hH.223111@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net,
Ian Hopkins <linuxfanatic1990@yahoo.com> typed:

> The fact that other people are having similar problems is making me
> think that there is somthing wrong with the board. ASUS tech support
> told me to take out the motherboard and check for grounding problems
> but after spending several hours taking it out I still have the same
> problem. They sugested I RMA the motherboard. Do you think evry ASUS
> p4p800-e Deluxe will have this problem or just mine???

I RMA'ed my Asus (same model as listed above) about 2 months ago as it came
with dead fan headers except for the CPU. Weird, but true. No BIO solution
would 'fix' it so back it went. Made me leery of Asus at the present, so I
bought another brand. I *really* believe they are having quality control
problems, or maybe design problems with this board as there are too many
reports of problems.

....Allen
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 16, 2004 11:09:57 PM

Stacey wrote:
> Ian Hopkins wrote:
>

>>Stacey wrote:

>>>So you're saying it boots everytime with the 300W PSU but the others
>>>cause this problem? I was having all sorts of flakey problems with a
>>>P4P800 which turned out to be PSU related and that PSU is working just
>>>find in another system with a different board. Maybe these are pickey
>>>about a certain voltage being spot on?
>>>

>>Here are the voltages for my 520 watt.
>>+12v 11.855
>>+5v 5.08
>>+3v 3.313
>>Vcore 1.36
>>
>>My p4 runs of the 12v rail right?
>>
>>Ill post my 300 watt voltages in a sec, i need to stick it in.
>

> Lets keep this simple, does it or does it not act flakey with the 300W PSU
> you have?
No. It does not act flakey with the 300w.
May 16, 2004 11:09:58 PM

Ian Hopkins wrote:

> Stacey wrote:

>> Lets keep this simple, does it or does it not act flakey with the 300W
>> PSU you have?
> No. It does not act flakey with the 300w.

Then obviously those other PSU's are causing the problem. Go buy something
like a Sparkle brand in the wattage you need and you're problem is solved.

Like I said I think these are picky about the quality of the PSU as mine was
acting just like your's is with one PSU and that PSU works fine on another
system.
--

Stacey
May 21, 2004 1:20:53 AM

> I recently built myself a new computer.
> When I turn it on it will fail the CPU POST Test.
> If I turn it off and onn a few times it will boot up.
> I have tried with 3 different Power Supplies (A Delta 300 watt, A
> Raildmax 420 watt and A Aspire 520 watt).
> Here are my system specs-

My son had exactly the same problem with that MB. He RMA'ed and it came back
with the same problem. A second return to be repaired, came back again,
unfixed. He gave up on ASUS and bought another brand MB. I am running an
ASUS P4S533 and have had no problems but because of his problems I will not
be buying an ASUS MB next time.

Ron
!