Help with Modem from Time PC

Friend of mine has asked me to put together a pc. To keep costs down he
wanted his old modem from his Time computer. Windows XP lists the modem as a
HSP56 Micromodem, he does not have any driver disk for the modem.
I have everything working except the modem. I set up a network connection
for freeserve which I have done many times in the past without any problems.
When I try to dial out to the freeserve site with the modem I get no dial
tone error.
Is this because the modem may be dedicated to Supanet which Time uses, if so
is there a way around this. Or has XP installed the incorrect modem.
Appreciate any help.
TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about help modem time

    "BIGEYE" <Securitypatch@µsoft.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Friend of mine has asked me to put together a pc. To keep costs down he
    > wanted his old modem from his Time computer. Windows XP lists the modem as
    > HSP56 Micromodem, he does not have any driver disk for the modem.
    > I have everything working except the modem. I set up a network connection
    > for freeserve which I have done many times in the past without any
    problems.
    > When I try to dial out to the freeserve site with the modem I get no dial
    > tone error.
    > Is this because the modem may be dedicated to Supanet which Time uses, if
    so
    > is there a way around this. Or has XP installed the incorrect modem.
    > Appreciate any help.
    > TIA

    OK, never used that modem. But just by reading the model number, it's
    obvious that it is a host controlled (ie SOFTWARE) modem. In other words,
    it will not work at all without the right software installed. In this case,
    not buying a new modem is foolish. You can try to find a driver for it, but
    how much is your time worth? Modems are cheap, get a new one. -Dave

    don't waste time - go get a cheap internal modem and use that.
    "BIGEYE" <Securitypatch@µsoft.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > Friend of mine has asked me to put together a pc. To keep costs down he
    > wanted his old modem from his Time computer. Windows XP lists the modem as
    > HSP56 Micromodem, he does not have any driver disk for the modem.
    > I have everything working except the modem. I set up a network connection
    > for freeserve which I have done many times in the past without any
    problems.
    > When I try to dial out to the freeserve site with the modem I get no dial
    > tone error.
    > Is this because the modem may be dedicated to Supanet which Time uses, if
    so
    > is there a way around this. Or has XP installed the incorrect modem.
    > Appreciate any help.
    > TIA

    "BIGEYE" <Securitypatch@µsoft.is.invalid> wrote in message

    " Is this because the modem may be dedicated to Supanet which Time uses, if
    so is there a way around this. "

    TIME never used to *lock* their modems, as I bought a K6-2 from that dump in
    1999 and I changed ISPs constantly. I do hear that some people now can't
    use any other ISP than Supanet, but I'm guessing that it's a driver which is
    locking that choice. I would forget the XP drivers, and download them from
    the manufacturer's website (if you can find them). If you still have
    problems, then get a v92 modem from www.ebay.co.uk . You can read about the
    different modem standards at http://www.v92.com/

    Thanks for the help. You are right, it is a software controlled modem. Went
    out and bought a nice new external modem. Working fine.
    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "BIGEYE" <Securitypatch@µsoft.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Friend of mine has asked me to put together a pc. To keep costs down he
    > > wanted his old modem from his Time computer. Windows XP lists the modem
    as
    > > HSP56 Micromodem, he does not have any driver disk for the modem.
    > > I have everything working except the modem. I set up a network
    connection
    > > for freeserve which I have done many times in the past without any
    > problems.
    > > When I try to dial out to the freeserve site with the modem I get no
    dial
    > > tone error.
    > > Is this because the modem may be dedicated to Supanet which Time uses,
    if
    > so
    > > is there a way around this. Or has XP installed the incorrect modem.
    > > Appreciate any help.
    > > TIA
    >
    > OK, never used that modem. But just by reading the model number, it's
    > obvious that it is a host controlled (ie SOFTWARE) modem. In other words,
    > it will not work at all without the right software installed. In this
    case,
    > not buying a new modem is foolish. You can try to find a driver for it,
    but
    > how much is your time worth? Modems are cheap, get a new one. -Dave

Homebuilt Hardware Modem Windows XP Systems