Dell/Sony monitor

I've a Dell badged Sony P991 19"flat screen CRT monitor. Its flickering at
the bottom right corner and slightly at the top left. Running it at 1280 x
1024 at 85Hz.
Whatever I try to do with the settings it never goes away. i.e. degauss,
colour return. Any ideas if it is repairable or should I bin it and get
another. I'm in the UK, North West England.

"JackN" <jackn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I've a Dell badged Sony P991 19"flat screen CRT monitor. Its flickering at
> the bottom right corner and slightly at the top left. Running it at 1280 x
> 1024 at 85Hz.
> Whatever I try to do with the settings it never goes away. i.e. degauss,
> colour return. Any ideas if it is repairable or should I bin it and get
> another. I'm in the UK, North West England.

It's not repairable, but you should not bin it and get another. Depending
on what you mean by flicker, it could be normal. If it bothers you, try
replacing it with a NEC brand 17" LCD monitor. -Dave

Thanks for the advice. It's not normal because it is confined to one corner
and, worse it is really distracting. Much as I'd like to I can't afford to
replace it with a 17" LCD monitor.

> Thanks for the advice. It's not normal because it is confined to one
corner
> and, worse it is really distracting. Much as I'd like to I can't afford to
> replace it with a 17" LCD monitor.

Well just to have it evaluated would cost you at least 1/3rd the price of a
new monitor. Sad, but true. Something I didn't mention before is you
should try turning down your refresh rate to see if that will help. I
didn't mention it, as it's unlikely that your monitor can't handle 85Hz.
But it's free to try it, so try 75Hz instead. -Dve

Has anybody else looked at the monitor and also seen the problem? I have
had people complain about their monitors flickering but when I look at the
monitor it looks fine. I change the refresh rate and they say "oh that is
so much better" and I think that it looks exactly the same. So, play with
the refresh rate and see what your results are.

--Dan

"JackN" <jackn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I've a Dell badged Sony P991 19"flat screen CRT monitor. Its flickering at
> the bottom right corner and slightly at the top left. Running it at 1280 x
> 1024 at 85Hz.
> Whatever I try to do with the settings it never goes away. i.e. degauss,
> colour return. Any ideas if it is repairable or should I bin it and get
> another. I'm in the UK, North West England.

"JackN" <jackn@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I've a Dell badged Sony P991 19"flat screen CRT monitor. Its flickering at
> the bottom right corner and slightly at the top left. Running it at 1280 x
> 1024 at 85Hz.
> Whatever I try to do with the settings it never goes away. i.e. degauss,
> colour return. Any ideas if it is repairable or should I bin it and get
> another. I'm in the UK, North West England.

I have a flickering monitor that stops if I turn off the speakers, or move
them away from the sides of the monitor.

Adam S