insulators needed under mobo's mounting screws?

I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)

I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.

Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !

-RS-
20 answers Last reply
More about insulators needed mobo mounting screws

    RS wrote:
    > I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    > boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >
    > I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    > process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    > pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    > through. Is this necessary?

    no

    > I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    > computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >
    > Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >
    > -RS-

    Thanks ! Some other people have suggested that the
    paper-washers-on-mounting-screw thing dates back to AT Power Supply days.

    FYO:
    ((The old motherboard was an AOpen MX6E PLUS which has an Intel 440EX
    chipset. ))
    ((The new one is an Asus P2B-F which has an Intel BX chipset.))

    But now I have a different problem: I have printed off the 80 page PDF
    manual from Asus's site ... and have installed the motherboard; set the
    jumpers to the proper bus speed and multiplier; installed the CPU and 2
    sticks of memory (128mB total) ; installed just one card - the PCI video
    card; connected the PS power plug to the mobo ...and hooked up most of the
    control leads like reset, power SW leads to mobo, speaker, etc. leads. But
    what happens when I turn on the Power Supply's switch (at the back) is the
    following:

    - unit powers up without waiting for me to press the power-on button on the
    front of the tower
    - Keyboard's 3 lights flash once on momentarily
    - no beep or anything from speaker
    - CPU fan operates.
    - nothing shows on the monitor ... it's green LED continues to flash from
    time to time like it is in sleep mode.

    Based on the above symptoms, what is the general consensus as to what is
    wrong?

    Thanks !

    -RS-

    "sooky grumper" <sookygrumper@fishies_.com> wrote in message
    > RS wrote:
    > > I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    > > boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    > >
    > > I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in
    the
    > > process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard
    has
    > > pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws
    poke
    > > through. Is this necessary?
    >
    > no
    >
    > > I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    > > computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    > >
    > > -RS-
    > >

    > --
    > spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 03:11:36 +0800, sooky grumper
    <sookygrumper@fishies_.com> wrote:

    >RS wrote:
    >> I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >> boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >>
    >> I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    >> process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    >> pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    >> through. Is this necessary?
    >
    >no
    >
    >> I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >> computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >>
    >> -RS-

    You can use nylon flat washers as insulators.
    The better computer shops sell hardware packs that have these neat
    little nylon standup spacers with insulator sleeves that can isolate
    the board from the metal of the chassis.

    gothika wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 03:11:36 +0800, sooky grumper
    > <sookygrumper@fishies_.com> wrote:
    >
    >>RS wrote:
    >>> I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >>> boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >>>
    >>> I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in
    >>> the process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old
    >>> motherboard has pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the
    >>> mounting screws poke through. Is this necessary?
    >>
    >>no
    >>
    >>> I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >>> computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >>>
    >>> -RS-
    >>>

    > You can use nylon flat washers as insulators.
    > The better computer shops sell hardware packs that have these neat
    > little nylon standup spacers with insulator sleeves that can isolate
    > the board from the metal of the chassis.

    Why would you do that? Just wondering....
    --

    Stacey

    RS wrote:
    > Thanks ! Some other people have suggested that the
    > paper-washers-on-mounting-screw thing dates back to AT Power Supply days.
    >
    > FYO:
    > ((The old motherboard was an AOpen MX6E PLUS which has an Intel 440EX
    > chipset. ))
    Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that the Aopen power supply has the standard
    wiring, and is in good order, meeting PC specifications? (Some
    proprietary Power Supplies, such as Compaq, switch around the wiring!
    Not sure about Aopen, but, I had tried to switch out an Aopen board,
    with another brand mainboard, and ended up getting a new case and PSU,
    before the computer would work!).
    > ((The new one is an Asus P2B-F which has an Intel BX chipset.))

    Did you pull the bios battery, so that the CMOS resets to factory specs.?
    Incorrect CPU settings in CMOS can conflict with board jumpers so that
    nothing comes up, clock never starts.

    > But now I have a different problem: I have printed off the 80 page PDF
    > manual from Asus's site ... and have installed the motherboard; set the
    > jumpers to the proper bus speed and multiplier; installed the CPU and 2
    > sticks of memory (128mB total)
    Try it with only minimal memory, in only one DIMM slot.
    Make sure it meets the speed requirements (100 Mhz?)

    ; installed just one card - the PCI video
    > card;
    If it has an AGP slot, do NOT install the PCI video card in the adjacent
    PCI slot (sometimes 'shared' with AGP).

    > connected the PS power plug to the mobo
    Plug it in very firmly, make sure it is not cocked...
    ...and hooked up most of the
    > control leads like reset, power SW leads to mobo, speaker, etc. leads.

    Double check all the connections...
    > But what happens when I turn on the Power Supply's switch (at the back) is the
    > following:
    >
    > - unit powers up without waiting for me to press the power-on button on the
    > front of the tower
    > - Keyboard's 3 lights flash once on momentarily
    > - no beep or anything from speaker
    > - CPU fan operates.
    You have the 12Volts, (fan on board) but, evidently, NOT the 5 Volts
    that mostly powers the CPU, system clock,PCI bridge (SouthBridge) and
    Memory, Voltage regulators.
    Have four of that ASUS mainboard here, plus two each P2B-DS,
    P2L97-DS266, CUV-4DS boards. Very hardy stuff, very reliable!

    gothika <Vampyres@nettaxi.com> wrote in message news:<66pda05vcjt2mv58ec4j9gumui48e1nevt@4ax.com>...

    > You can use nylon flat washers as insulators.
    > The better computer shops sell hardware packs that have
    > these neat little nylon standup spacers with insulator
    > sleeves that can isolate the board from the metal of the
    > chassis.

    That hardware is also available from electronic supplies and hardware
    stores (smaller ones, not home centers), often for less than computer
    store prices. I'm not sure what nylon standup spacers with insulator
    sleeves are, but there are nylon standoffs made for circuit boards,
    and most snap into the board. Nylon hex spacers are also available
    with threaded holes, and nylon screws can be used with them.

    "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<vktpc.9713$RM.6221@edtnps89>...

    > I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard
    > that won't boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does
    > the RAM)
    >
    > I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay.
    > I am now in the process of swapping the motherboards and I see
    > that the old motherboard has pieces of black electrical tape
    > on the bottom where the mounting screws poke through. Is
    > this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    > computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper"
    > washers.

    I believe the AOpen motherboard, which, by the way, does use a
    standard ATX power connector, not a proprietary one, was installed
    improperly by the previous owner because electrical tape is a poor
    insulator when exposed to high pressure (such as from motherboard
    mounting screws) or sharp edges (such as from screws or brass standoff
    posts), and it may have gradually been pierced and shorted the
    motherboard to the chassis. Those brown paper washers are much better
    for this application, as are Mylar washers (translucent, creamy white
    or yellow only, not the much thinner transparent ones) and the nylon
    washers mentioned by Gothika.

    Motherboards are supposed to be designed so they cannot possibly short
    to the chassis, whether or not insulator washers are used, but in
    reality this isn't always so, and I've seen holes where copper signal
    traces or even large copper areas connected directly to a power supply
    voltage ran close enough to cause shorts. Therefore you must inspect
    each mounting hole and not make any assumptions. If a hole has a
    copper ring around it (that copper is usually coated with solder) or
    has no metal within at least 1/8" - 3/16" of its circumference, then
    no insulator washer is needed -- for that particular side of the hole.
    When in doubt, install an insulator because it won't do any harm,
    unlike a short.

    Older computers did not use stamped risers (raised dimples) for
    mounting the motherboard but instead had brass mounting posts screwed
    to them from the bottom or rails spot welded in place with slots into
    which nylon standoffs could slide. Stamped risers weren't introduced
    in computer cases until they became cheapened and made of thinner
    metal, but even brass mounting posts, despite being narrower than
    risers, still often need insulator washers on them.

    Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message news:<NdTpc.5098$PQ3.426@news01.roc.ny>...

    > Why would mobo makers put metal circles around the mobo screw
    > holes if they didn't want the mobo to be grounded to the chassis?

    The problem is motherboard makers don't always put metal circles
    around every screw hole, and it's possible to short the board at such
    holes. So each hole has to be checked on top and bottom for either
    this or, if the hole doesn't have a metal circle, for sufficient
    clearance between the hole and the closest copper, which may be
    carrying a signal or voltage supply. When in doubt, insulate, and
    rely upon the motherboard power connector(s) and plug-in card rear
    brackets for rounding.

    Electrical tape makes a poor insulating material because a screw or
    mounting post can easily pierce it. Satisfactory insulator washers
    are made of cardboard (fiber), nylon, or Mylar (Mylar must be
    translucent, not so thin that it's transparent).

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 23:57:33 GMT, Matt <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote:

    >RS wrote:
    >> I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >> boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >>
    >> I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    >> process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    >> pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    >> through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >> computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >>
    >> -RS-
    >>

    >Why would mobo makers put metal circles around the mobo screw holes if
    >they didn't want the mobo to be grounded to the chassis?

    The little metal circles, sometimes with solder blobs on them are of course to ground
    that part, and only that part to the chassis. The spacer part of it comes in to play to make
    sure that everything else on the backside of the MB doesn't ground out too.

    I believe the little fiber washers mostly came into play back when the mounts on the
    chassis for the motherboard were raised dimples. They were wider than they needed
    to be, and the MB manufacturers were occasionally a little more.... freehanded mounting
    components on the board near the mounting holes. They may have played a very minor
    role in vibration/stress dampening.

    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.

    If you computer wont boot and you are sure that the other components
    are working properly, then I don't see any problem giving the fibre
    washers a try, I had a P4S8X-X motherboard that would not boot because
    it could not find the IDE drives, I took it back to where I purchased
    it but they said that the errors I was getting did not indicate that
    the board was at fault and told me to set the motherboard up out side
    the case, so I did that and it worked, so I put the computer back
    together and it would not work again so I put fibre washers under the
    screw heads and all was well.
    Cheers

    wrote:

    >RS wrote:
    >> I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >> boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >>
    >> I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    >> process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    >> pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    >> through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >> computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >>
    >> -RS-
    >>

    >Why would mobo makers put metal circles around the mobo screw holes if
    >they didn't want the mobo to be grounded to the chassis?

    eTrust EZ Antivirus Protection
    Version 6.1.7.0
    ©2003 Computer Associates International, Inc
    Major dat file v4008
    Minor dat file v5452
    Macro data file May 11 2004 (VMD Ver 1.6)

    In article <40a82967.362426812@news.central.cox.net>,
    kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com says...

    > That makes no sense whatsoever as it'd still be connected
    > electrically. The spacers are there to prevent damage to the
    > motherboad. Some screws I have here have a serated face at
    > the bottom side of the screw head.

    > THey're not connected to anything therefore they're grounding nothing.

    Have you actually taken resistance measurements? I have, and I found
    that most metal rings were connected to ground. Which motherboards
    have no electrical connection between those rings and anything else?

    About every other motherboard I've seen had at least one mounting hole
    with signal or voltage traces running close enough to make possible a
    short, especially if the case uses risers instead of standoffs or if
    the screw heads are wide.

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 14:24:30 +0100, Conor <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >In article <40a82967.362426812@news.central.cox.net>,
    >kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com says...
    >
    >> The little metal circles, sometimes with solder blobs on them are of course to ground
    >> that part, and only that part to the chassis. The spacer part of it comes in to play to make
    >> sure that everything else on the backside of the MB doesn't ground out too.
    >
    >That makes no sense whatsoever as it'd still be connected electrically.
    >The spacers are there to prevent damage to the motherboad. Some screws
    >I have here have a serated face at the bottom side of the screw head.

    I don't follow what you're trying to say.

    The underside of the head of the screw is supposed to contact the metal rim of the mounting
    hole to make an electrical connection to the chassis ground of the case.

    The "spacer" I'm referring to is on the underside of the motherboard.
    It "spaces" the rest of the mb away from the chassis ground of the case.

    If you believe it makes no difference, since you're "connected electrically" anyway.
    Then by all means lay your next motherboard flat on the mounting plate without spacers on the
    underside and with all the soldered leads on the underside of the motherboard laying against the
    metal plate, screw it down, and power it up.

    We'll see how electrically connected you can get.
    We'll see how much sense it makes to keep the underside of the MB from being grounded out
    across the board.

    I've seen you post before Conor. Please don't post when you're too tired to make sense of
    what's already written....
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Conor <conor_turton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b12cd9bddf1797298a701@news.claranews.com>...

    > Circuit board layouts are designed so that there is a clear
    > area around the screwholes so this cannot happen.

    In either an ECS P4S5A2 or K7S5A Pro, I found a copper trace that ran
    closer to a screw hole than I wanted (could short if a screw hole
    wasn't centered with a screw or post), so I installed a fiber washer
    on the top or bottom of the hole.

    With my FIC PA-2007 or VA-503+, one of the screw holes near one of the
    onboard voltage regulators is surrounded by copper that's at +5.0V on
    the right and +3.3V on the left, and a screw could short those two
    voltages together, especially if it's a serrated screw.

    So I don't understand why you say that circuits are laid out with
    enough clearance to prevent shorts like this.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    You could go down to your local hardware store and pick up some thin
    white to clear plastic/silicone washers. They are not too expensive.
    I have purchased them at Lowes before. some little rubber O-Rings
    would work too.

    >I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >
    >I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    >process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    >pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    >through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >
    >Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >
    >-RS-

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Some older motherboards had one bolt that needed to make contact to
    ground the motherboard.

    >I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >
    >I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    >process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    >pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    >through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >
    >Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >
    >-RS-

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    I used to go to the hardware and get heavy nylon spacers about ¼" thick
    and ½" wide. They had a hole in the middle that was perfect for pressing
    what is now called a standoff into the hole. Back then, what is a standoff
    now was just a threaded hex connector for like serial cable ports.
    In any case they worked great for bracing the motherboard.

    >You could go down to your local hardware store and pick up some thin
    >white to clear plastic/silicone washers. They are not too expensive.
    >I have purchased them at Lowes before. some little rubber O-Rings
    >would work too.
    >
    >>I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >>boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >>
    >>I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    >>process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    >>pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    >>through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >>computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >>
    >>-RS-
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    So you would put the washer on the underside of the mobo ?, how would
    you do that for all of the screws needed need the right sized one i
    suppose just enough to cushion the mobo against the case.

    Not having done it before :)

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 21:37:10 -0500, Charles
    <LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote:

    >Some older motherboards had one bolt that needed to make contact to
    >ground the motherboard.
    >
    >>I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard that won't
    >>boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does the RAM)
    >>
    >>I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay. I am now in the
    >>process of swapping the motherboards and I see that the old motherboard has
    >>pieces of black electrical tape on the bottom where the mounting screws poke
    >>through. Is this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    >>computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper" washers.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any knowledgeable opinions / clarification !
    >>
    >>-RS-

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

    Just a note to say that I finally got around to preceeding somewhat with the
    troublesome motherboard situation. I put in a CPU that was covered by the
    jumper settings specifically mentioned in the manual ... and lo and behold,
    on power up it beeped, checked memory, recognized the CDROM and IDE-Zip
    drive ...and looked around for a HDD ... which is not yet installed.

    I looked in the BIOS and under Power Management it was indeed set to boot up
    automatically after power interuption. After changing that, the power SW on
    the front of the case operated normally.

    That is as far as I have got so far. I did phone Asus's International
    support, got through to someone who said a tech would call back. This has
    not happened yet. I want to ask why there is a jumper setting in the manual
    for "P2/Celeron 400" with a bus speed of 100MHz. Typo? My Celeron 400 does
    not work at that setting ... not surprizingly ...

    Thanks !

    -RS-

    "do_not_spam_me" <do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    > "RS" <jf_reneX@Xhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I am repairing a computer that has a AOpen Slot 1 motherboard
    > > that won't boot. (The CPU tests OK on another system, as does
    > > the RAM)
    > >
    > > I have purchased a used ASUS Slot 1 motherboard off of eBay.
    > > I am now in the process of swapping the motherboards and I see
    > > that the old motherboard has pieces of black electrical tape
    > > on the bottom where the mounting screws poke through. Is
    > > this necessary? I know that bags of hardware that comes with
    > > computer cases used to (I recall) include little brown "paper"
    > > washers.
    >
    > I believe the AOpen motherboard, which, by the way, does use a
    > standard ATX power connector, not a proprietary one, was installed
    > improperly by the previous owner because electrical tape is a poor
    > insulator when exposed to high pressure (such as from motherboard
    > mounting screws) or sharp edges (such as from screws or brass standoff
    > posts), and it may have gradually been pierced and shorted the
    > motherboard to the chassis. Those brown paper washers are much better
    > for this application, as are Mylar washers (translucent, creamy white
    > or yellow only, not the much thinner transparent ones) and the nylon
    > washers mentioned by Gothika.
    >
    > Motherboards are supposed to be designed so they cannot possibly short
    > to the chassis, whether or not insulator washers are used, but in
    > reality this isn't always so, and I've seen holes where copper signal
    > traces or even large copper areas connected directly to a power supply
    > voltage ran close enough to cause shorts. Therefore you must inspect
    > each mounting hole and not make any assumptions. If a hole has a
    > copper ring around it (that copper is usually coated with solder) or
    > has no metal within at least 1/8" - 3/16" of its circumference, then
    > no insulator washer is needed -- for that particular side of the hole.
    > When in doubt, install an insulator because it won't do any harm,
    > unlike a short.
    >
    > Older computers did not use stamped risers (raised dimples) for
    > mounting the motherboard but instead had brass mounting posts screwed
    > to them from the bottom or rails spot welded in place with slots into
    > which nylon standoffs could slide. Stamped risers weren't introduced
    > in computer cases until they became cheapened and made of thinner
    > metal, but even brass mounting posts, despite being narrower than
    > risers, still often need insulator washers on them.

Homebuilt Hardware Computer Motherboards Systems