Homebuilt case - how to attach the Mobo (purchase a moutin..

I want to create my own case, and one of the items that I'm looking for is a
metal mounting plate to attach (screw down) the motherboard to. (I'm not
really sure what the plates might be actually called.)

I have seen of these plates within a few cases, and they are pre-drilled to
allow various types of motherboards to be installed.

I know that I could purchase a case and strip/cut the mounting plate out,
but I was wanting to see if the plate could be purchased separately from a
place on-line.

Thanks.

--
To contact directly:
Remove periods between letters

"John B." wrote:
> I want to create my own case, and one of the items that I'm looking for is a
> metal mounting plate to attach (screw down) the motherboard to. (I'm not
> really sure what the plates might be actually called.)
>

> I have seen of these plates within a few cases, and they are pre-drilled to
> allow various types of motherboards to be installed.
>

> I know that I could purchase a case and strip/cut the mounting plate out,
> but I was wanting to see if the plate could be purchased separately from a
> place on-line.

I've never seen them offered seperately, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't find one somewhere (or talk
someone out of one).

As far as making your own mounting plate (thats' what I call it), all you need is some 18ga or so sheet
cut to size and drilled with a half-dozen holes. Don't worry about flanging and tapping if you don't
wan't to; it's easier (and just as functional) to just find the right size nut to fasten the standoffs to
the mounting plate.

Jon

"John B." <j.b.a.r.i.n.g.t.o.n.[A.T.].c.o.m.c.a.s.t.[D.O.T.].n.o.n.> wrote
in message news:AbCdnZuCxcOMBzvdRVn-tw@comcast.com...
> I want to create my own case, and one of the items that I'm looking for is
> metal mounting plate to attach (screw down) the motherboard to. (I'm not
> really sure what the plates might be actually called.)

If you are creating your own case, why not just place the standoffs where
needed and forget about the added headache of a mounting plate? -Dave

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:56:40 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>"John B." <j.b.a.r.i.n.g.t.o.n.[A.T.].c.o.m.c.a.s.t.[D.O.T.].n.o.n.> wrote
>in message news:AbCdnZuCxcOMBzvdRVn-tw@comcast.com...
>> I want to create my own case, and one of the items that I'm looking for is
>> metal mounting plate to attach (screw down) the motherboard to. (I'm not
>> really sure what the plates might be actually called.)
>>

>If you are creating your own case, why not just place the standoffs where
>needed and forget about the added headache of a mounting plate? -Dave

Right! I use nylon plastic spacers to stand my mobo off from the metal
chassis on any mod job I do.
You can get them at your local harware store for about 15 cents each.
Use 6/32 or 8/32 flat head machine screws with washers and nylon stop
nuts and you mobo will always stay snug
I use 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch long spacers, they give more air room under
the board.

Charles

There are some places that sell used cases. Many computer cases use
to have the slide out plates with the part that holds the PCI boards
verticle in one piece. This would be an ideal start. Some places
like www.directron.com sometimes mod cases and sell the inside case
structures sometimes. Local computer shops often sell used equipment.

Some cases like Enlight have just the mounting tray that pops off the
back.

Some cases like Lian Li still have slide out motherboard trays but
that would be an expensive route to take.

>I want to create my own case, and one of the items that I'm looking for is a
>metal mounting plate to attach (screw down) the motherboard to. (I'm not
>really sure what the plates might be actually called.)
>

> I have seen of these plates within a few cases, and they are pre-drilled to
>allow various types of motherboards to be installed.
>

>I know that I could purchase a case and strip/cut the mounting plate out,
>but I was wanting to see if the plate could be purchased separately from a
>place on-line.
>

>Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS