Athlon 64 and Registered memory

Since it's just been my birthday and i have money, Im thinking about
upgrading my computer's processor to an Athlon 64 3400+. I have enough
for the processor and the mobo, but my current RAm (1 gig of OCZ 184-pin
DDR 400mhz unbufferd/non-ECC) is un-registerd and ive read that the
Athlon 64 series likes registered memory. Can i use my old memory with
my new CPU/mobo and if so will i get less performance than with
registred memory and how much more performance.

thanks

On Sun, 16 May 2004 02:12:48 +0000, Ian Hopkins wrote:

> Since it's just been my birthday and i have money, Im thinking about
> upgrading my computer's processor to an Athlon 64 3400+. I have enough
> for the processor and the mobo, but my current RAm (1 gig of OCZ 184-pin
> DDR 400mhz unbufferd/non-ECC) is un-registerd and ive read that the
> Athlon 64 series likes registered memory. Can i use my old memory with
> my new CPU/mobo and if so will i get less performance than with
> registred memory and how much more performance.

Socket 754 doesn't require registered memory. Your mem should work fine as
long as it's up to spec.

"Ian Hopkins" <linuxfanatic1990@yahoo.com> wrote in message

" ...ive read that the Athlon 64 series likes registered memory. "

The Athlon 64 FX chips require registered memory. You'll be fine running an
Athlon 64 3400+ with your current OCZ.