How to vary brightness of EL wire?

I want my CPU to throb red when used. I have a nice SuperAlien-X case
with blue fans and black lite inside. Looks cool, but just sits there
and looks cool. Now I want my CPU to throb red when used, brighter
when more % is utilized. I want to wrap red EL wire under the fan
assembly so you don't see the wire, but the area is flooded with red
lite. I wrote a program in vb.net that uses a performance counter to
get the % CPU utilized, scale that number to drive a LED, and output
that number to the parallel port. I have a ribbon cable and resistors
on each of first four bits driving a LED. The LED throbs withe the CPU
utilized number. I could hotglue red LEDS to each coner,but I think EL
wire is first, best choice. Any idea how to vary the brightness? maybe
10 - 12 VDC or also maybe variable width 12 V pulses, the wider, the
brighter?

Charles

On Sun, 16 May 2004 19:21:13 -0400, sdeyoreo@hotmail.com wrote:

>I want my CPU to throb red when used. I have a nice SuperAlien-X case
>with blue fans and black lite inside. Looks cool, but just sits there
>and looks cool. Now I want my CPU to throb red when used, brighter
>when more % is utilized. I want to wrap red EL wire under the fan
>assembly so you don't see the wire, but the area is flooded with red
>lite. I wrote a program in vb.net that uses a performance counter to
>get the % CPU utilized, scale that number to drive a LED, and output
>that number to the parallel port. I have a ribbon cable and resistors
>on each of first four bits driving a LED. The LED throbs withe the CPU
>utilized number. I could hotglue red LEDS to each coner,but I think EL
>wire is first, best choice. Any idea how to vary the brightness? maybe
>10 - 12 VDC or also maybe variable width 12 V pulses, the wider, the
>brighter?

TRENDING THREADS