Urgent Win Xp Prob Please HELP!!

Hi All

For some reason unknown to myself when I now double click on a file it
automatically opens up the SEARCH window instead of just OPENING the file and
displaying its contents.
I am totally LOST as to how I resolve this problem.
If it helps I no longer have the OPEN WITH option available to me.
Many thanks for your kind help.

skint4sure@aol.com (Skint4sure) wrote in message news:<20040517184146.26979.00001498@mb-m12.aol.com>...
> Hi All
>
> For some reason unknown to myself when I now double click on a file it
> automatically opens up the SEARCH window instead of just OPENING the file and
> displaying its contents.
> I am totally LOST as to how I resolve this problem.
> If it helps I no longer have the OPEN WITH option available to me.
> Many thanks for your kind help.

Google is your freakin' friend! Lol..
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=xp+opens+search+instead+of+file&meta=

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
Applies To

IMPORTANT: This article contains information about modifying the registry.
Before you modify the registry, make sure to back it up and make sure that
you understand how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For
information about how to back up, restore, and edit the registry, click the
following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
256986 Description of the Microsoft Windows Registry

SYMPTOMS
If you double-click a drive or folder, Search Companion may start and the
drive or folder may not open. If you configure settings for other actions
that are associated with drives or file folders (for example, Open Command
Window Here or Print Directory Listing), Windows may perform one of these
actions instead of starting Search Companion.

NOTE: If you configure the Single-click to open an item (point to select)
setting in Windows, this problem may occur if you single-click a drive or
folder.
CAUSE
This problem occurs when you open the Edit File Type dialog box for the
Drive or File Folder registered file types. For example, this problem occurs
for folders if you complete the following procedure:
1.. Open the folder, and then click Folder Options on the Tools menu.
2.. Click File Folder in the Register file types list, and then click
Advanced.
3.. After you perform this procedure, the None setting is removed from the
value data for the Default string value in the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

NOTE: This problem occurs even if you do not create a new action, edit
existing actions, or change the default action in the Edit File Type dialog
box.
RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, edit the registry to set the value data for the
Default string value in the registry keys that are described in the "Cause"
section of this article to none:
1.. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2.. Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in
the registry if this problem occurs with folders:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

If this problem occurs with drives:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

3.. Click Modify on the Edit menu.
4.. Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.
5.. Quit Registry Editor.
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products
that are listed at the beginning of this article.
a.. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
b.. Microsoft Windows XP Professional