mouse has mind of it's own

I just added some new hardware and did a clean install of windows 98 (a
couple times now with the same results) and I'm having a weird mouse
problem. Initially I tried to use a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse which
both worked fine at first. I was able to get into the BIOS, both the
keyboard and mouse worked during the installation but when I got into
windows for the first time my system became EXTREMELY slow, the cursor would
not move or move very slow and then jump to the other side of the screen.
When I restart and first get to windows everything seems fine for a second
or two and then the same problem starts. The mouse and keyboard work before
I get to windows and they also work fine if I start windows in safe mode.
For now I'm still using the wireless keyboard but I've gone back to a
standard mouse. This works but now every once in a while the cursor will
still jump off to a far side of the screen for no apparent reason. I tried
it both with and without the Logitech software and it's the same. I also
tried the keyboard and mouse on a different system and they worked perfectly
without installing any additional software so it doesn't seem they are
defective. The only significant difference between that system and mine is
it uses an i845pe board. Any ideas what could be wrong?

--
Kingwin KT-424-BK mid tower case
Fortron 400 Watt power supply (FSP400-60PFN)

"wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just added some new hardware and did a clean install of windows 98 (a
> couple times now with the same results) and I'm having a weird mouse
> problem. Initially I tried to use a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse
which
> both worked fine at first. I was able to get into the BIOS, both the
> keyboard and mouse worked during the installation but when I got into
> windows for the first time my system became EXTREMELY slow, the cursor
would
> not move or move very slow and then jump to the other side of the screen.
> When I restart and first get to windows everything seems fine for a second
> or two and then the same problem starts. The mouse and keyboard work
before
> I get to windows and they also work fine if I start windows in safe mode.
> For now I'm still using the wireless keyboard but I've gone back to a
> standard mouse. This works but now every once in a while the cursor will
> still jump off to a far side of the screen for no apparent reason. I tried
> it both with and without the Logitech software and it's the same. I also
> tried the keyboard and mouse on a different system and they worked
perfectly
> without installing any additional software so it doesn't seem they are
> defective. The only significant difference between that system and mine is
> it uses an i845pe board. Any ideas what could be wrong?
>
> --
> Kingwin KT-424-BK mid tower case
> Fortron 400 Watt power supply (FSP400-60PFN)
> Albatron i865PE motherboard (PX865PE Pro)
> Intel P4 2.6cGHz processor (BX80532PG2600DSL6WS)
> Mushkin High Perf Level II PC3500 ram (991095)
> Mitsumi Black fdd (D359M3D)
> Samsung 160GB 7200rpm hdd (SP1614N)
> Lite-On 48/24/48 CD-RW (LTR-48246S)
> Toshiba 16x DVD-ROM (SD-M1612)
> eVGA Nvidia FX 5600XT 128MB vga (128-A8-N316-TX)
> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound (TBS-3400-01)
> Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI-V92 modem

You've got a driver problem somewhere. My first guess would be that you
need new chipset drivers for your mainboard. Download the latest drivers
from (albatron?) and install those. It could also be that your hardware has
outgrown windows 98, somehow. 98 never was the greatest OS, but it's
possible (likely?) that windows 98 was never upgraded to support some of
your hardware, which is pretty current. It could also be a resource
conflict between your input devices and some of your other devices. Try
uninstalling (both drivers and hardware) the sound card and modem. If that
helps, put them both back in one at a time. Good luck with this one. -Dave

i already tried installing the latest chipset drives and i tried one clean
install of windows with only minimal hardware installed (cpu, ram, video,
hdd, fdd, cdrw & dvd) and still had the weird mouse problem. i have no clue
what's causing the conflict. :(

> i already tried installing the latest chipset drives and i tried one clean
> install of windows with only minimal hardware installed (cpu, ram, video,
> hdd, fdd, cdrw & dvd) and still had the weird mouse problem. i have no
clue
> what's causing the conflict. :(

It's possible your motherboard could be bad, also. :( -Dave