Is this system OK?

Hello everyone,

I want to build my first system and would to know if you think I made any
bad choices. Gaming is not that important, mostly racing sims and a few FPS,
but I would like to convert divx files to SVCD or VCD. No overclocking. I
got the prices from Newegg.com and I must stay under 1,900$. Is the SATA
Raptor, non raided, worth the cost?

Thanks!

=

1] motherboard : INTEL D865 PERL I865 95$

2] Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB 179$

3] ATI RADEON 9600XT video card 150$

4] Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive 33$

5] Pioneer Black 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-107 102$

6] Antec minitower case"SX635BII" ( 350watt psu) 75$

7] Sigma Designs Xcard (have it)

8] Corsair Dual Channel 1G (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 200$

9] Microsoft Intellimouse Optical ??

10] Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA OEM 109$

11] Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 212$ non raid

12] floppy drive (needed for sata drivers ?) 15$

13] NEC/MITSUBISHI LCD1760NXBK-1 17" LCD Monitor 530$

14] DVI-d cable 10$

15] Sound Blaster Live 5.1 40$

"StarBuc" <overhere@cable.net> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to build my first system and would to know if you think I made any
> bad choices. Gaming is not that important, mostly racing sims and a few
FPS,
> but I would like to convert divx files to SVCD or VCD. No overclocking.
> got the prices from Newegg.com and I must stay under 1,900$. Is the SATA
> Raptor, non raided, worth the cost?
>
> Thanks!
>
> =
>
> 1] motherboard : INTEL D865 PERL I865 95$
>
> 2] Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB 179$
>
> 3] ATI RADEON 9600XT video card 150$
>
> 4] Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive 33$
>
> 5] Pioneer Black 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-107 102$
>
> 6] Antec minitower case"SX635BII" ( 350watt psu) 75$
>
> 7] Sigma Designs Xcard (have it)
>
> 8] Corsair Dual Channel 1G (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 200$
>
> 9] Microsoft Intellimouse Optical ??
>
> 10] Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA OEM 109$
>
> 11] Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 212$ non raid
>
> 12] floppy drive (needed for sata drivers ?) 15$
>
> 13] NEC/MITSUBISHI LCD1760NXBK-1 17" LCD Monitor 530$
>
> 14] DVI-d cable 10$
>
> 15] Sound Blaster Live 5.1 40$

That looks awesome! I think you did your research very well. Your choice
of hard drive is a tough one, though. For your video editing/conversion
work, you need both speed and space. I would think a 7200RPM drive would be
fast enough, though. If I were you, I would go for TWO of the 160GB drives.
That should give you plenty of space for video editing . . . for a while, at
least. If you think it will help the speed, RAID them. I would think that
would give you more of a performance boost than a single 10KRPM drive NOT in
raid. The way I see it, with two of the 160GB drives, you could have the
best of both worlds . . . speed and space. I wouldn't even necessarily raid
them. Not at first anyway. Oh, and I'd use the money you save to invest in
a better case or (more importantly) a SILENT power supply of about ~400W.
Unless you really need a minitower, a mid-tower will give you better airflow
and be easier to work with. I don't know what kind of power supply comes
with that, but you will really appreciate one that's made to be silent. A
couple of decent ones on newegg are linked below. It looks like the first
one was favorably compared to antec. Still, the antec case you chose looks
great, gets great ratings, and would probably work OK. Overall, great job
of choosing components. -Dave

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-005&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-213&depa=0

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "StarBuc" <overhere@cable.net> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I want to build my first system and would to know if you think I made
any
> > bad choices. Gaming is not that important, mostly racing sims and a few
> FPS,
> > but I would like to convert divx files to SVCD or VCD. No overclocking.
> > got the prices from Newegg.com and I must stay under 1,900$. Is the
SATA
> > Raptor, non raided, worth the cost?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > =
> >
> > 1] motherboard : INTEL D865 PERL I865 95$
> >
> > 2] Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB 179$
> >
> > 3] ATI RADEON 9600XT video card 150$
> >
> > 4] Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive 33$

<snip>
> of hard drive is a tough one, though. For your video editing/conversion

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-005&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-213&depa=0

Thanks for the advice Dave C.

I will remove the 10k rpm Rapter and get two 160 sata hard drives per you
suggestion.

Also, the case is pretty plain but for some reason I like it and the mini
tower size is important. Hopefully it won’t get too hot.

I wasn’t sure about power and noise but I think I will upgrade to the
Thermaltake 420 watt PSU from the link that you provided. Thanks again.

"Matt" <matt@themattfella.zzzz.com> wrote in message
> StarBuc wrote:
>
> > Also, the case is pretty plain but for some reason I like it and the
mini
> > tower size is important. Hopefully it won’t get too hot.
>
> The Antec SLK3700 has excellent ventilation and lets you put a 120mm fan
> (included) right in front of your hard drives. You can run that fan at
> 5V to keep the noise down. Price is a little better than that other
> Antec that you indicated. Compare newegg's photos of the two cases.

Thanks, i'll check it out.

Not bad specs, where did you get the Corsair memory for $200?, 1GB costs
over $300 at Newegg. Unless it's some value RAM you got.

I'd suggest a 450W PSU, an Audigy 2 is only a few bucks more, and yes...you
need a floppy.

"StarBuc" <overhere@cable.net> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to build my first system and would to know if you think I made any
> bad choices. Gaming is not that important, mostly racing sims and a few
FPS,
> but I would like to convert divx files to SVCD or VCD. No overclocking.
> got the prices from Newegg.com and I must stay under 1,900$. Is the SATA
> Raptor, non raided, worth the cost?
>
> Thanks!
>
> =
>
> 1] motherboard : INTEL D865 PERL I865 95$
>
> 2] Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB 179$
>
> 3] ATI RADEON 9600XT video card 150$
>
> 4] Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive 33$
>
> 5] Pioneer Black 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-107 102$
>
> 6] Antec minitower case"SX635BII" ( 350watt psu) 75$
>
> 7] Sigma Designs Xcard (have it)
>
> 8] Corsair Dual Channel 1G (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 200$
>
> 9] Microsoft Intellimouse Optical ??
>
> 10] Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA OEM 109$
>
> 11] Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 212$ non raid
>
> 12] floppy drive (needed for sata drivers ?) 15$
>
> 13] NEC/MITSUBISHI LCD1760NXBK-1 17" LCD Monitor 530$
>
> 14] DVI-d cable 10$
>
> 15] Sound Blaster Live 5.1 40$

Yes, you are right it is Corsair Value Select: 1 gig (N82E16820145480 =
198$). Is that not fast enough?

I'll check the Audigy 2 but I don't think I need it because I don't have a
super audio setup.

Also, thanks for confirming the floppy.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not bad specs, where did you get the Corsair memory for $200?, 1GB costs
> over $300 at Newegg. Unless it's some value RAM you got.
>
> I'd suggest a 450W PSU, an Audigy 2 is only a few bucks more, and
yes...you
> need a floppy.
>

> "StarBuc" <overhere@cable.net> wrote in message
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I want to build my first system and would to know if you think I made
any
> > bad choices. Gaming is not that important, mostly racing sims and a few
> FPS,
> > but I would like to convert divx files to SVCD or VCD. No overclocking.
> > got the prices from Newegg.com and I must stay under 1,900$. Is the
SATA
> > Raptor, non raided, worth the cost?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > =
> >
> > 1] motherboard : INTEL D865 PERL I865 95$
> >
> > 2] Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB 179$
> >
> > 3] ATI RADEON 9600XT video card 150$
> >
> > 4] Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive 33$
> >
> > 5] Pioneer Black 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DVR-107 102$
> >
> > 6] Antec minitower case"SX635BII" ( 350watt psu) 75$
> >
> > 7] Sigma Designs Xcard (have it)
> >
> > 8] Corsair Dual Channel 1G (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 200$
> >
> > 9] Microsoft Intellimouse Optical ??
> >
> > 10] Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA OEM 109$
> >
> > 11] Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 212$ non raid
> >
> > 12] floppy drive (needed for sata drivers ?) 15$
> >
> > 13] NEC/MITSUBISHI LCD1760NXBK-1 17" LCD Monitor 530$
> >
> > 14] DVI-d cable 10$
> >
> > 15] Sound Blaster Live 5.1 40$

Fitz

Memory is one thing you shouldn't skimp on, either in quantity or quality
(esp. for video editing). I would tend to agree with the TwinX suggestion,
or Mushkin Level 1 memory.
You might also take a look at the ATI 9800Pro vs the 9600XT- compare the two
here:
http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/result.asp

Good luck-
Fitz

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> That looks awesome! I think you did your research very well. Your choice
> of hard drive is a tough one, though. For your video editing/conversion
> work, you need both speed and space. I would think a 7200RPM drive would
be
> fast enough, though. If I were you, I would go for TWO of the 160GB
drives.
> That should give you plenty of space for video editing . . . for a while,
at
> least. If you think it will help the speed, RAID them. I would think
that
> would give you more of a performance boost than a single 10KRPM drive NOT
in
> raid. The way I see it, with two of the 160GB drives, you could have the
> best of both worlds . . . speed and space. I wouldn't even necessarily
raid
> them. Not at first anyway.

I agree about the HDD, two 160GB in RAID 0 would be sweet.

> Yes, you are right it is Corsair Value Select: 1 gig (N82E16820145480 =
> 198$). Is that not fast enough?

It's fine, just some prefer the Twin X brand, but it's alot more expensive.

Fitz wrote:
> Memory is one thing you shouldn't skimp on, either in quantity or quality
> (esp. for video editing). I would tend to agree with the TwinX suggestion,
> or Mushkin Level 1 memory.
> You might also take a look at the ATI 9800Pro vs the 9600XT- compare the two
> here:
> http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/result.asp
>
> Good luck-
> Fitz

GREAT system! Should run GNU/Linux really fast! (You are going to run
Linux, right?) I mean, try out Knoppix liveCD rom, just to see how full
featured it is, and it would install as any of the optional, menued
choices - systems, if you want to run something "locked-in", from MS...
install that first!

http://knopper.net/knoppix is about 6x smaller in the kernel, and I find
that my 1.3 Durons, running Knoppix Linux, are about 5X faster than my
P4 3.0 systems running XP Pro... when in DVD, and/or, PVR mode...
I mean, TIVO is FREEVO is MythKnoppix... all were written on Linux
platforms...

If you want more info, ask me, or go to the links for knoppix, linux, etc.

Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:

> I find
> that my 1.3 Durons, running Knoppix Linux, are about 5X faster than my
> P4 3.0 systems running XP Pro

Is that before or after you lite the crack pipe?

I'm a knoppix fan myself but it is ridiculous claims like this that set
people up for disappointment when they try it.
--
Sincerely,
The Vice President

"Mr. Vice President" <vp@whitehouse.guv> wrote in message
> Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> said:
>
> > I find
> > that my 1.3 Durons, running Knoppix Linux, are about 5X faster than my
> > P4 3.0 systems running XP Pro
>
> Is that before or after you lite the crack pipe?
>
> I'm a knoppix fan myself but it is ridiculous claims like this that set
> people up for disappointment when they try it.
> --
> Sincerely,
> The Vice President

Ha-ha!
Thanks for the info guys.

I have to run win XP Pro to be compatible with others, but I also plan to
have a few partitions set aside for LINUX.

I was thinking of SUSE, but this KNOPPIX looks interesting. I'll read up on
it.

StarBuc wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to build my first system and would to know if you think I made any
> bad choices. Gaming is not that important, mostly racing sims and a few FPS,
> but I would like to convert divx files to SVCD or VCD. No overclocking. I
> got the prices from Newegg.com and I must stay under 1,900$. Is the SATA
> Raptor, non raided, worth the cost?

The only points I'd make are to consider if you really want an LCD
screen. You could get a top-notch 19" or even a decent 21" CRT cheaper
than this.

That, plus the standard proviso that you can get better bang for the
buck with an AMD processor.