The final configuration for my dream system

Hello,

Okay I have finally configured my dream computer. I just want to run
my configuration by everyone in this newsgroup one final time.

I have built the system to be an all around performer. I am not a
gamer, but want a fast system that I can depend on. Kind of a "swiss
army knife" type computer. Any input that you can provide to make the
system function better in that capacity would be much appreciated.
Mostly I don't want any bottlenecks. For instance, a really fast
processor and a slow hard drive.

I want to know what you all think about me setting up the Raptors in
RAID 1. I want to have the piece of mind knowing that my system is
less vulnerable to a drive failure. I would also like to know if
Windows XP Home will allow different people to log in to a computer
using a different username and password allowing different people to
have their own personal and private desktop.

Here is a link to my configuration:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=728465

Thanks in advance for you input!

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Okay I have finally configured my dream computer. I just want to run
> my configuration by everyone in this newsgroup one final time.
>
> I have built the system to be an all around performer.

Couple of suggestions:

Microsoft will support XP Pro for two years longer than XP Home. IMHO
that justifies paying a little extra for Pro.

For only a few extra bucks, you could get a DVD writing drive. BTW, if
you get an OEM drive, you can get the Nero OEM suite for around 20.00
dollars.

>For only a few extra bucks, you could get a DVD writing drive. BTW, if
>you get an OEM drive, you can get the Nero OEM suite for around 20.00
>dollars.

What DVD burner do you recommend?

Stacey

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> Thanks in advance for you input!

If you aren't going to be doing any 3D games, get a matrox video card.

--

Stacey

JH@homebuild.com wrote:

> >For only a few extra bucks, you could get a DVD writing drive. BTW, if
> >you get an OEM drive, you can get the Nero OEM suite for around 20.00
> >dollars.
>
> What DVD burner do you recommend?

Well, I'm a skinflint, so I recommend a cheap one. :)

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Why do you think that Microsoft will support XP PRO two years longer than XP
Home? They are the same product except for some extra utilities for
administration and a couple of other things. But, the main OS is the same.
Unless, someone needs the extras in XP PRO, there is no good reason to spend
the extra money on it. None of the software you run on it will run any
better (or worse) than on the Home version.
james

james wrote:

> Why do you think that Microsoft will support XP PRO two years longer than XP
> Home?

They say so at their web site.

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

" I have built the system to be an all around performer. I am not a gamer,
but want a fast system that I can depend on. "

I guess there are some budget restraints, as you've chosen a 2.8Ghz
Northwood. I'm sure you have your storage plans figured-out with the hard
drive combination, so, keeping that structure, the same case, RAM and
motherboard, if I was building on that budget then I would make the
following changes:

- (same Cooler Master case)
- NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW ( http://snipurl.com/6kbr ), costing $29 more.
- NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive ( http://snipurl.com/6kck ), saving
$3.51.
- (same 2x 36.7GB Raptors)
- Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA ( http://snipurl.com/6kci ), saving
$14.50.
- (same RAM)
- (same motherboard)
- (same PSU)
- Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz ( http://snipurl.com/6kc3 ), costing $38 more.
- Windows XP Professional ( http://snipurl.com/6kbk ), costing $47 more.
- ATI AIW RADEON 9600 ( http://snipurl.com/6kcv ), saving $80.

Reasons:

- (same Cooler Master case)
- You'll want a DVD burner for storage, or after using the AIW for capture .
- Two NEC drives will look better together.
- (same 2x 36.7GB Raptors)
- I'll take a 3yr warranty over a 0.4ms seek-time increase.
- (same RAM)
- (same motherboard)
- (same PSU)
- A P4 3.0C Ghz is better than a 2.8C Ghz.
- XP Pro will have longer support., and has a few extras.
- Not being a gamer, you won't miss the 'XT' from your AIW 9600.

That's not bad for $15.99 more than your original total.

>" I have built the system to be an all around performer. I am not a gamer,
>but want a fast system that I can depend on. "
>

>I guess there are some budget restraints, as you've chosen a 2.8Ghz
>Northwood. I'm sure you have your storage plans figured-out with the hard
>drive combination, so, keeping that structure, the same case, RAM and
>motherboard, if I was building on that budget then I would make the
>following changes:
>
>- (same Cooler Master case)
>- NEC 8X Black DVD+RW/-RW ( http://snipurl.com/6kbr ), costing $29 more.
>- NEC 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy Drive ( http://snipurl.com/6kck ), saving
>$3.51.
>- (same 2x 36.7GB Raptors)
>- Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA ( http://snipurl.com/6kci ), saving
>$14.50.
>- (same RAM)
>- (same motherboard)
>- (same PSU)
>- Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz ( http://snipurl.com/6kc3 ), costing $38 more.
>- Windows XP Professional ( http://snipurl.com/6kbk ), costing $47 more.
>- ATI AIW RADEON 9600 ( http://snipurl.com/6kcv ), saving $80.
>
>Reasons:
>
>- (same Cooler Master case)
>- You'll want a DVD burner for storage, or after using the AIW for capture .
>- Two NEC drives will look better together.
>- (same 2x 36.7GB Raptors)
>- I'll take a 3yr warranty over a 0.4ms seek-time increase.
>- (same RAM)
>- (same motherboard)
>- (same PSU)
>- A P4 3.0C Ghz is better than a 2.8C Ghz.
>- XP Pro will have longer support., and has a few extras.
>- Not being a gamer, you won't miss the 'XT' from your AIW 9600.
>
>That's not bad for $15.99 more than your original total.

Excellent suggestions and I appreciate how you structured your post!
I am not really on a budget, but I don't see the sense in spending
money for equipment that is more powerful than I need. However, if I
see a good reason to spend more, then I am more than willing.

I went back and forth on the processor. Now I will go ahead and take
your suggestion on the 3.0 Ghz processor.

Speaking of having the drives look better... is there a cover like the
one below for the Cooler Master I picked?
(http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=170103)

Thanks again,
Jim

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:01:33 -0700, JH@homebuild.com wrote:

>>- Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz ( http://snipurl.com/6kc3 ), costing $38 more.
>>- Windows XP Professional ( http://snipurl.com/6kbk ), costing $47 more.
>>- ATI AIW RADEON 9600 ( http://snipurl.com/6kcv ), saving $80.

>Excellent suggestions and I appreciate how you structured your post!
>I am not really on a budget, but I don't see the sense in spending
>money for equipment that is more powerful than I need. However, if I
>see a good reason to spend more, then I am more than willing.
>
>I went back and forth on the processor. Now I will go ahead and take
>your suggestion on the 3.0 Ghz processor.

I'm not looking for a fight or anything, but I'd like to butt in two
comments:

3.0 P4C is only between 1% - max 5% faster than 2.8 P4C. It mainly
consumes more power and produces more heat. Worth $38?

R9600XT chipset is almost 60% faster than standard R9600. If you're
looking to save some bucks, check out R9600pro.

ancra

>I'm not looking for a fight or anything, but I'd like to butt in two
>comments:
>
>3.0 P4C is only between 1% - max 5% faster than 2.8 P4C. It mainly
>consumes more power and produces more heat. Worth $38?
>
>R9600XT chipset is almost 60% faster than standard R9600. If you're
>looking to save some bucks, check out R9600pro.

Thanks for the post ancra. This is the kind of different perspective
that helps me to make the right selection.

On Fri, 21 May 2004 11:32:41 +0200, ancra <somebody@some.domain>
wrote:

| 3.0 P4C is only between 1% - max 5% faster than 2.8 P4C. It mainly
| consumes more power and produces more heat. Worth $38?

Also, the 3.0C hasn't proved to be as friendly when it comes to OCing.
The 2.4C through 2.8C are the champions in that arena.

Larc

<JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message

> Hello,
>
> Okay I have finally configured my dream computer. I just want to run
> my configuration by everyone in this newsgroup one final time.
>
> I have built the system to be an all around performer. I am not a
> gamer, but want a fast system that I can depend on. Kind of a "swiss
> army knife" type computer. Any input that you can provide to make the
> system function better in that capacity would be much appreciated.
> Mostly I don't want any bottlenecks. For instance, a really fast
> processor and a slow hard drive.
>
> I want to know what you all think about me setting up the Raptors in
> RAID 1. I want to have the piece of mind knowing that my system is
> less vulnerable to a drive failure. I would also like to know if
> Windows XP Home will allow different people to log in to a computer
> using a different username and password allowing different people to
> have their own personal and private desktop.
>
> Here is a link to my configuration:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=728465

> Thanks in advance for you input!

Using Raptors in RAID 1 is a waste of money
Use the Maxtor 6Y080M0.
Just about as fast (max of 59mB/s vs 63mB/s)
Much less expensive ($75 vs $105)
Larger ( 80 vs 38).
henny

Stacey

Matt wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>> JH@homebuild.com wrote:
>>

>>>Thanks in advance for you input!
>>

>> If you aren't going to be doing any 3D games, get a matrox video card.
>>

> Why?

It has the best 2D around for the same or less money than what he's looking
at.

--

Stacey

>He is spending three times what he needs to spend for a good case and
>power supply.

Do you have any suggestions?

>>>He is spending three times what he needs to spend for a good case and
>>>power supply.

>> Do you have any suggestions?

>First figure your power requirements. I don't see any indication that
>you need 550W.

This is true, but I am also looking a few years down the road. I want
to allow for expansion. Although I must say that I am considering an
Antec 480 watt power supply.

>The CoolerMaster Stacker case is both ATX and BTX...
>
>Roy

I checked it out and will read more about it. I appreciate your post.

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <vshra013kg4496f9e1dl8g77dl0aim07s0@4ax.com>,
somebody@some.domain says...
> On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:01:33 -0700, JH@homebuild.com wrote:
>

> >>- Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0C GHz ( http://snipurl.com/6kc3 ), costing $38 more.
> >>- Windows XP Professional ( http://snipurl.com/6kbk ), costing $47 more.
> >>- ATI AIW RADEON 9600 ( http://snipurl.com/6kcv ), saving $80.
>
> >Excellent suggestions and I appreciate how you structured your post!
> >I am not really on a budget, but I don't see the sense in spending
> >money for equipment that is more powerful than I need. However, if I
> >see a good reason to spend more, then I am more than willing.
> >
> >I went back and forth on the processor. Now I will go ahead and take
> >your suggestion on the 3.0 Ghz processor.
>
> I'm not looking for a fight or anything, but I'd like to butt in two
> comments:
>
> 3.0 P4C is only between 1% - max 5% faster than 2.8 P4C. It mainly
> consumes more power and produces more heat. Worth $38?
>
> R9600XT chipset is almost 60% faster than standard R9600. If you're
> looking to save some bucks, check out R9600pro.
>
> ancra

I have the 9600 Pro (not a gamer, but a lot of photoshop work, and I'm
quite happy with it.

Louise

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <_uurc.92574$xw3.5248256@attbi_s04>, henrygiii@comcast.net
says...

> <JH@homebuild.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Okay I have finally configured my dream computer. I just want to run
> > my configuration by everyone in this newsgroup one final time.
> >
> > I have built the system to be an all around performer. I am not a
> > gamer, but want a fast system that I can depend on. Kind of a "swiss
> > army knife" type computer. Any input that you can provide to make the
> > system function better in that capacity would be much appreciated.
> > Mostly I don't want any bottlenecks. For instance, a really fast
> > processor and a slow hard drive.
> >
> > I want to know what you all think about me setting up the Raptors in
> > RAID 1. I want to have the piece of mind knowing that my system is
> > less vulnerable to a drive failure. I would also like to know if
> > Windows XP Home will allow different people to log in to a computer
> > using a different username and password allowing different people to
> > have their own personal and private desktop.
> >
> > Here is a link to my configuration:
> >

> http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=728465
> >
> > Thanks in advance for you input!
>
> Using Raptors in RAID 1 is a waste of money
> Use the Maxtor 6Y080M0.
> Just about as fast (max of 59mB/s vs 63mB/s)
> Much less expensive ($75 vs $105)
> Larger ( 80 vs 38).
> henny

Maxtors generally less reliable - at least historically. I've also had
several Maxtors develop a really unpleasant whine after a while.

If you're interested in relative silence, go Seagate (although not quite
as fast - or WD for reliability.

Louise

Stacey

Louise wrote:

> Maxtors generally less reliable - at least historically. I've also had
> several Maxtors develop a really unpleasant whine after a while.
>
> If you're interested in relative silence, go Seagate (although not quite
> as fast - or WD for reliability.

I just installed a samsung, it's fast and extra quiet. I've gotten to where
noise is a big issue for me and I'm not sure I'd want 2 10,000rpm drives
along with another 7200RPM drive from WD sitting next to where I am
working...
--

Stacey

>I just installed a samsung, it's fast and extra quiet. I've gotten to where
>noise is a big issue for me and I'm not sure I'd want 2 10,000rpm drives
>along with another 7200RPM drive from WD sitting next to where I am
>working...

You know I agree with you on that. Now I am leaning toward going with
one Raptor and using a 250 gig Hitachi drive as a backup. I know that
Hitachi took over for IBM and IBM hasn't had the best track record.
However, I have read so many reviews saying how great the current 250
gig drive is, that I am willing to take the risk.