....after first time starting PC, video card will not disp..

Hi,
Last night i put together a PC and when i started for first time CMOS
setup come up. I started to go through and check setings. Then in
about 5 minits it sudenly the last 5 lines was of letters "
eeeeeeeeeee" and it frezed. So i powerd down and on, but from now on
when i start nothing is displayed. I can hear that fan for power
supply and CPU works, the Led light in front come up and down but
nothing is displayed. I have syntax k7s746fx motherboard with socket A
and AMD XP + 2600 processor. I also have installed 512 MB PC3200 NON
ECC DDR DIMM RAM. The motherboard does not have build in Video
interface(no port), but has AGP 3.0(8xAGP). So we installed Verto
graphic card GeForce4 MX 440 8x. I wonder if anyone has ideas of what
is the problem? I would appreciate any help. Thank's
Margots

P.S. by the way this is my first time puting PC together, so perhaps
it migth be something simple.
5 answers Last reply
More about after time starting video card disp

    makapacs@hotmail.com (Margots) said:

    > Hi,
    > Last night i put together a PC and when i started for first time CMOS
    > setup come up. I started to go through and check setings. Then in
    > about 5 minits it sudenly the last 5 lines was of letters "
    > eeeeeeeeeee" and it frezed.

    > I wonder if anyone has ideas of what
    > is the problem? I would appreciate any help. Thank's

    I would first suspect that the CPU heatsink isn't seated or mounted
    properly. Reseat the heat sink, reseat all the cables for good measure,
    look around inside the case and make sure there are no screws left inside
    and then try it again. Check the temperature of the CPU, if it climbs
    rapidly, turn the machine off.
    --
    McQualude

    won't display the desktop or won't display even the post screen? safe
    mode and check the driver install if it won't display desktop. If its
    no post screen, I suggest a reseating of the vidcard, no results?
    unplug all other peripherals (HD's, USB devices, CD-ROM's) anything
    that's drawing power, other than the vidcard. Boot? have the post
    screen? then possible PSU problem. You could have it checked, however
    with a chance of failure and other component damage, you could plug
    one device in at a time and watch the results. or have a spare?

    HTH

    "Margots" <makapacs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Last night i put together a PC and when i started for first time
    CMOS
    > setup come up. I started to go through and check setings. Then in
    > about 5 minits it sudenly the last 5 lines was of letters "
    > eeeeeeeeeee" and it frezed. So i powerd down and on, but from now on
    > when i start nothing is displayed. I can hear that fan for power
    > supply and CPU works, the Led light in front come up and down but
    > nothing is displayed. I have syntax k7s746fx motherboard with socket
    > and AMD XP + 2600 processor. I also have installed 512 MB PC3200 NON
    > ECC DDR DIMM RAM. The motherboard does not have build in Video
    > interface(no port), but has AGP 3.0(8xAGP). So we installed Verto
    > graphic card GeForce4 MX 440 8x. I wonder if anyone has ideas of
    what
    > is the problem? I would appreciate any help. Thank's
    > Margots
    >
    > P.S. by the way this is my first time puting PC together, so perhaps
    > it migth be something simple.

    Thank's McQualude. The sink was not set properly and now it seems that
    i have burn the CPU. OO well, my first time will be memorable. I am
    going to get another cpu and hopefull it will work this time. By the
    way,Is there another way to check the CPU temperature besides touching
    it?
    Thank's one more time.
    Margots

    McQualude <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94F2F391923mcqualude@24.25.9.42>...
    > makapacs@hotmail.com (Margots) said:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > Last night i put together a PC and when i started for first time CMOS
    > > setup come up. I started to go through and check setings. Then in
    > > about 5 minits it sudenly the last 5 lines was of letters "
    > > eeeeeeeeeee" and it frezed.
    >
    > > I wonder if anyone has ideas of what
    > > is the problem? I would appreciate any help. Thank's
    >
    > I would first suspect that the CPU heatsink isn't seated or mounted
    > properly. Reseat the heat sink, reseat all the cables for good measure,
    > look around inside the case and make sure there are no screws left inside
    > and then try it again. Check the temperature of the CPU, if it climbs
    > rapidly, turn the machine off.

    Thank's McQualude. The sink was not set properly and now it seems that
    i have burn the CPU. OO well, my first time will be memorable. I am
    going to get another cpu and hopefull it will work this time. By the
    way,Is there another way to check the CPU temperature besides touching
    it?
    Thank's one more time
    Margots

    ahh those AMD's.,,,,,,, yes there is a way of testing but in your case
    by the time you got into the 'cmos setup' the CPU would have been
    damaged, in the setup there is a hardware monitor on most newer
    boards/bios.

    "JAD" <jde> said:

    > ahh those AMD's.,,,,,,, yes there is a way of testing but in your case
    > by the time you got into the 'cmos setup' the CPU would have been
    > damaged, in the setup there is a hardware monitor on most newer
    > boards/bios.

    He was in the CMOS and had been for several minutes when it roasted. The
    heat sink was probably loose and so gave him a couple of minutes before it
    cooked.
    --
    McQualude

Homebuilt Systems