Any experience with SpecTek Select RAM?

A guy has a 512 MB stick of PC2700 he will sell for $65.

I don't usually buy generic or stuff I haven't heard of.
What do you think?
--
McQualude

McQualude <mcqualude@hoohoo.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94F2F2A6667A8mcqualude@24.25.9.41>...

> A guy has a 512 MB stick of PC2700 he will sell for $65.
>
> I don't usually buy generic or stuff I haven't heard of.
> What do you think?

Spectek is or was Micron's division that handled recycled memory
chips, sort of the way Elixir is Nanya's brand of recycled chips.

Two RK-Byte 256MB PC2100 modules with Spectek chips on them would
always fail MemTest86 or Gold Memory unless I turned down the memory
bus speed from the normal 266 MHz down to 200 MHz -- it didn't matter
what the other timing settings were. But the same model module with
Elixir chips on it showed no errors unless all of the BIOS timings
were at the fastest settings, and a Spectek brand module with Spectek
chips bought more recently performed equally well.

I would never buy memory without a 100% money-back guarantee that
included all shipping charges because too many modules I've bought in
the past 1-2 years have failed at least one diagnostic, including
several Kingston ValueRAM PC2100 modules with no brand markings on
their chips.

Avoid it. It is an off brand.

--
DaveW