Require: file manager which shows folder sizes

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 3:23:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.

Does such a utility exist?

Prefereably freeware.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 3:23:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Suggest Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com/. It will do pretty much
what you want, but a bit differently. You can highlight a folder and then
press ctrl/L. You will get a popup window that will tell you how many
files/folders are within and the total space used for all.

Did I say it's FREE!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>
> Does such a utility exist?
>
> Prefereably freeware.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 5:20:23 PM

lunedì 24/mag/2004 _Piotr Makley_ ha scritto:

> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>
> Does such a utility exist?
>
> Prefereably freeware.

TrackerV3:
http://www.trackerv3.com/overview.htm

The installation of TrackerV3 totals to about 1MB. No files are added to
your system and your registry is not touched. Also, running the program does
not change your system or registry.

The home license, which is free of charge, is restricted to personal home
use and to non-profit and educational organizations.
--
Maria Luisa C - 24/05/04 13.13.12, here.
http://fido.altervista.org/index.php

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you find one, let me know. Also, a 98 lookalike search facility would
not go amiss either.

Brian

Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
__________________________________

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>
> Does such a utility exist?
>
> Prefereably freeware.

---
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 5:42:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:23:09 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com>
wrote:

| I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
| shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
|
| Does such a utility exist?
|
| Prefereably freeware.

PowerDesk is the best one I know of. There's a free version you can
get here:

http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_free_trial.html

It lacks some of the features of the full pro version, but there's no
time limit on the trial.

File sizes can show in the "Details" view and you can specify in
Options > Preference > Details View tab exactly which info you want in
that view (I'm guessing the choice is available in the trial version).
File size also shows in the status bar when any file or group of files
is highlighted.

Larc

a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 6:04:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:42:26 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
<Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

| When you find one, let me know. Also, a 98 lookalike search facility would
| not go amiss either.

If you want Search to have the "Classic" Windows look, you can specify
that in TweakUI > Explorer. Check the boxes next to "Use Classic
Search in Explorer" and "Use Classic Search in Internet Explorer."

If you don't already have TweakUI installed, you'll find it on this
page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

Of course, this assumes you are using WinXP...

Larc

a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 8:09:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <48t3b057c1lktkldr4gmsh333vhq828e96@4ax.com>, larc-
news@jupiterlink.net says...
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:23:09 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com>
> wrote:
>
> | I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> | shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
> |
> | Does such a utility exist?
> |
> | Prefereably freeware.
>
> PowerDesk is the best one I know of. There's a free version you can
> get here:
>
> http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_free_trial.html

I'll second that also. PowerDesk is excellent...

--
Kerodo
Anonymous

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:20:23 +0200, MLC <maluc52@yahoo.it> wrote:

>lunedì 24/mag/2004 _Piotr Makley_ ha scritto:
>
>> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
>> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>>
>> Does such a utility exist?
>>
>> Prefereably freeware.
>
>TrackerV3:
>http://www.trackerv3.com/overview.htm
>
>The installation of TrackerV3 totals to about 1MB. No files are added to
>your system and your registry is not touched. Also, running the program does
>not change your system or registry.
>
>The home license, which is free of charge, is restricted to personal home
>use and to non-profit and educational organizations.

excellent program here. i especially dig the built-in find features
and id3 tag editing. thanks for the link!

--
absorbent and yellow and pourous is john corliss!
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <94F373D2EF13C31E75@130.133.1.4>, pmakley@mail.com says...
> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.

try freeCommander - www.freecommander.com
Les
(To email me - remove the z)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 9:44:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:erQpjFaQEHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Suggest Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com/. It will do pretty
much
> what you want, but a bit differently. You can highlight a folder and then
> press ctrl/L. You will get a popup window that will tell you how many
> files/folders are within and the total space used for all.
>
> Did I say it's FREE!
>
> --
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> > I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> > shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
> >
> > Does such a utility exist?
> >
> > Prefereably freeware.

Since when did "Total Commander" become freeware ?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 9:44:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You can use it for years without paying if you can live with the nag screen!
Pay and eliminate the nag screen. I paid 6 years ago and have gotten every
update since then for free, some of them major revisions and even new
versions.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"*ProteanThread*" <sysop@rtdos.com> wrote in message
> "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:erQpjFaQEHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > Suggest Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com/. It will do pretty
> much
> > what you want, but a bit differently. You can highlight a folder and
then
> > press ctrl/L. You will get a popup window that will tell you how many
> > files/folders are within and the total space used for all.
> >
> > Did I say it's FREE!
> >
> > --
> > Regards:
> >
> > Richard Urban
> >
> > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
> >
> > "Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> > > I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> > > shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
> > >
> > > Does such a utility exist?
> > >
> > > Prefereably freeware.
> >

> Since when did "Total Commander" become freeware ?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 10:44:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:11:26 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Suggest Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com/. It will do pretty much
>what you want, but a bit differently. You can highlight a folder and then
>press ctrl/L. You will get a popup window that will tell you how many
>files/folders are within and the total space used for all.
>
>Did I say it's FREE!

From the website:
Total Commander, Version 6.03a, is a Shareware file manager for
Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, and Windows® 3.1.

It's non-expiring shareware with a nag screen. It's the best of the
dual-pane file managers but it isn't free.
--
Semolina Pilchard
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You can use it for years if you can live with the nag screen.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Semolina Pilchard" <ushat@myactiveware.com> wrote in message
news:D uc4b0d4vlsfotb5o821i1vdqud5c70j4t@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:11:26 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Suggest Total Commander from http://www.ghisler.com/. It will do pretty
much
> >what you want, but a bit differently. You can highlight a folder and then
> >press ctrl/L. You will get a popup window that will tell you how many
> >files/folders are within and the total space used for all.
> >
> >Did I say it's FREE!
>
> From the website:
> Total Commander, Version 6.03a, is a Shareware file manager for
> Windows® 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP, and Windows® 3.1.
>
> It's non-expiring shareware with a nag screen. It's the best of the
> dual-pane file managers but it isn't free.
> --
> Semolina Pilchard

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 24, 2004 11:31:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:59:42 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You can use it for years without paying if you can live with the nag screen!
>Pay and eliminate the nag screen. I paid 6 years ago and have gotten every
>update since then for free, some of them major revisions and even new
>versions.

This is true. I paid for it too, but I wouldn't recommend it here
because it isn't freeware, which is what this group is about.

Using it for years without paying for it is neither legal nor ethical.
The licence states, inter alia, "You have the right to test this
program for a period of one month."
--
Semolina Pilchard
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have used PowerDesk for many years, both the free and the pay versions.

It does the job. I can really see what I have and can see easily what I
have to do.

The pay version has a great Synchronize tool that I find useful to move
files to a flash disk for travel.

Icons make it too easy to loose track of where you are.

I send much time holding hands with several friends. I install the free
version of Powerdesk, Belarc Advisor, Adaware, a free or pay anti-virus
and then a firewall like ZoneAlarm or BlackIce,

Actually thre are too many people out there who should not own a computer.

They are the cause of too many of our troubles.

Larc wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:23:09 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com>
> wrote:
>
> | I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> | shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
> |
> | Does such a utility exist?
> |
> | Prefereably freeware.
>
> PowerDesk is the best one I know of. There's a free version you can
> get here:
>
> http://www.v-com.com/product/pd_free_trial.html
>
> It lacks some of the features of the full pro version, but there's no
> time limit on the trial.
>
> File sizes can show in the "Details" view and you can specify in
> Options > Preference > Details View tab exactly which info you want in
> that view (I'm guessing the choice is available in the trial version).
> File size also shows in the status bar when any file or group of files
> is highlighted.
>
> Larc
>

> §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2004 4:09:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hover over the folder and the tooltip will tell you.

And the band played ....
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/14/1084289883713...
"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message news:94F373D2EF13C31E75@130.133.1.4...
> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>
> Does such a utility exist?
>
> Prefereably freeware.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2004 4:09:15 AM

David Candy wrote:
> Hover over the folder and the tooltip will tell you.

sometimes. or sometimes it will say something like "more than 23.2 mb"

dick
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2004 4:16:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

95/98/NT4 had a more classic than classic search extension. It was dialog based rather than Explorer Bar based. What XP calls classic is the 2000/ME style.

"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message news:qcv3b01pe592ve014h6jm5nhms1ubnp7mo@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:42:26 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
> <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> | When you find one, let me know. Also, a 98 lookalike search facility would
> | not go amiss either.
>
> If you want Search to have the "Classic" Windows look, you can specify
> that in TweakUI > Explorer. Check the boxes next to "Use Classic
> Search in Explorer" and "Use Classic Search in Internet Explorer."
>
> If you don't already have TweakUI installed, you'll find it on this
> page:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
>
> Of course, this assumes you are using WinXP...
>
> Larc
>

> §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§
May 25, 2004 6:35:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have something Similar but not a fullblown file manager.

http://space.dolphin.free.fr/
Folder Size Shell Extension

This is a property page. When you right click on a directory or drive and bring
up Properties, there is an extra tab called Size. It will bring up, in that tab window
a tree of the drive or directory you clicked on and all subdirectories named with
the size of each and every sub. You can configure it in bytes, KB, MB, or GB.
You can run it as English or French, sort in different orders and such.

Ahhh, site won't let me in. You can also get it here;

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...

This site shows a small window of what it'll look like.
Nice for seeing where the files are meeting in secret to plot against your drive.
Also shows you subdirectories that you've forgotten about.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:23:09 +0100, Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com> wrote:

>I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
>shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>
>Does such a utility exist?
>
>Prefereably freeware.

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2004 8:40:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Most of us here aren't in the freeware group. Another cross hierarchy posting dickwad.

"Semolina Pilchard" <ushat@myactiveware.com> wrote in message news:fef4b0t1pq83hgd3lu7c4vujfhfeprhl2b@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:59:42 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >You can use it for years without paying if you can live with the nag screen!
> >Pay and eliminate the nag screen. I paid 6 years ago and have gotten every
> >update since then for free, some of them major revisions and even new
> >versions.
>
> This is true. I paid for it too, but I wouldn't recommend it here
> because it isn't freeware, which is what this group is about.
>
> Using it for years without paying for it is neither legal nor ethical.
> The licence states, inter alia, "You have the right to test this
> program for a period of one month."
> --
> Semolina Pilchard

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2004 8:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 25 May 2004 04:40:27 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Most of us here aren't in the freeware group. Another cross hierarchy posting dickwad.

I notice you didn't bestir yourself to adjust the groups line, did
you, my top-posting text-mode superhero?

Regardless of which group you're in, Crusty was informing people that
a shareware program is free. It's not so.

Now go back to your toys, David, and don't bother the grownups again.

"Dickwad". Heh. I bet you're a terror in the playground.
--
Semolina Pilchard
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

David Candy, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
wrote:

< retarded and lazy top-posting corrected >

> "Semolina Pilchard" <ushat@myactiveware.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:59:42 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
>> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >You can use it for years without paying if you can live with the nag screen!
>> >Pay and eliminate the nag screen. I paid 6 years ago and have gotten every
>> >update since then for free, some of them major revisions and even new
>> >versions.
>>
>> This is true. I paid for it too, but I wouldn't recommend it here
>> because it isn't freeware, which is what this group is about.
>>
>> Using it for years without paying for it is neither legal nor ethical.
>> The licence states, inter alia, "You have the right to test this
>> program for a period of one month."
>> --
>> Semolina Pilchard
>>
> Most of us here aren't in the freeware group. Another cross hierarchy posting
> dickwad.

LMAO! The hypocrasy finally shows its full colors!! You and all your
butt-buddies scream and holler about anyone wanting to use XPee as they see fit
in their own home, but when it comes to other software, it's a whole different
story! You people have just shown yourselves what idiots and hypocrates you
truly are. Lash out at someone who crossposted just because you had no way to
cover your hypocrasy and bullshit lies.

Joh N.
--
Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon
9:32pm up 7 days 16:49, 2 users, load average: 1.07, 1.03, 0.81

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you arsewipes stopped spamming our newsgroups. And NO I never attempt fraud by altering a post once started. But ethically challenged usenet scum like you wouldn't understand. Now go away from msnews.

"Semolina Pilchard" <ushat@myactiveware.com> wrote in message news:2qi4b0hud3gne8ni4rbqmab87enn3m8l60@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 25 May 2004 04:40:27 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Most of us here aren't in the freeware group. Another cross hierarchy posting dickwad.
>
> I notice you didn't bestir yourself to adjust the groups line, did
> you, my top-posting text-mode superhero?
>
> Regardless of which group you're in, Crusty was informing people that
> a shareware program is free. It's not so.
>
> Now go back to your toys, David, and don't bother the grownups again.
>
> "Dickwad". Heh. I bet you're a terror in the playground.
> --
> Semolina Pilchard
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2004 10:42:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

folder size shell extension v3.2
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...

In article <94F373D2EF13C31E75@130.133.1.4>, pmakley@mail.com says...
> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>
> Does such a utility exist?
>
> Prefereably freeware.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 25, 2004 5:05:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

So rehover. It will get accurate.

"Dick Sidbury" <drjamessidbury@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2hfpuiFcivjfU1@uni-berlin.de...
> David Candy wrote:
> > Hover over the folder and the tooltip will tell you.
> >
> sometimes. or sometimes it will say something like "more than 23.2 mb"
>
> dick

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 26, 2004 9:05:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Piotr Makley" <pmakley@mail.com> wrote in message
> I am looking for a file manager similar to Windows Explorer which
> shows a folder "tree" with the size of each the folders.
>
> Does such a utility exist?
>
> Prefereably freeware.

I have decided to spool so here goes.

I made FileAnt http://www.fileant.com/ for fun 'g' and a resume piece. Which
not many people have looked at (it is ramping up this week though). It can
show you the folder sizes in the size column of the list view if you turn it
on in config. You can also telescopically browse the folders as pie slices
(with % or MB/KB), I hand coded the pie drawing routines so it is quite
neat. FileAnt does most standard things the same way as explorer however it
had one of the first tabbed/split panel interfaces and it also has a lot of
unique features to speed up file management which I will not mention here.
With FileAnt, read the website and the help (takes 30 mins) because there
are some feature which by design are not obvious because making them obvious
was not possible, purpose defeating or would have added to the bulk of the
exe (the apps memory footprint is the size of the exe and custom dll's not
what you see in task manager... task manager includes shared dlls such as
user32, kernel32, advapi32, winsock etc in the memory calc).

Over the years FileAnt has been shaped heavily by the people who use it as I
make almost every change/fix asked for. I have never bothered to market it
much yet though... too much software on the internet. IMHO the net is almost
too big now and needs to wipe some parts of itself clean. Many File Managers
have blatant problems if you fully tested them even explorer (try opening a
folder with many many icons in the one you use). Many do not list properly
on common ftp servers etc etc but the big sites will still push them for the
money because they look good. Another problem with some file managers is
that they fill/alter your registry with all sorts of stuff outside the
software key (I always image the hard drive before installing). If the
download is > 3 meg it is probably guaranteed to look good but it will not
be after close examination. Another indicator I use (and it may just be me
that thinks this) is the installer used... InstallSheild packaged software
is almost always real bad. FileAnt has had many bugs (most of which have now
been ironed out) but never a file related one or one destructive in any way.
Free software is almost always guaranteed to be unfinished or have a catch.
I made FileAnt very un-annoying when it expires and you could use it free
forever if you wanted to, I do not mind at all. The flip side is that paying
for software helps authors with some of the costs for websites, getting it
out to others and sometime spurs them on. Many authors write software at
there own cost, physical/mental/monetary and not for big direct sales $, but
for resumes, to explore computers, and in some cases to satisfy a base human
need to enhance the tools.

kind regards,
will
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2004 2:39:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

>> On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:59:42 -0400, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard
>> :-\)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >You can use it for years without paying if you can live with
>> >the nag screen! Pay and eliminate the nag screen. I paid 6
>> >years ago and have gotten every update since then for free,
>> >some of them major revisions and even new versions.
>>
>> This is true. I paid for it too, but I wouldn't recommend it
>> here because it isn't freeware, which is what this group is
>> about.
>>
>> Using it for years without paying for it is neither legal nor
>> ethical. The licence states, inter alia, "You have the right
>> to test this program for a period of one month."
>> --
>> Semolina Pilchard

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote:

> Most of us here aren't in the freeware group. Another cross
> hierarchy posting dickwad.

Time for a troll like you to expand your horizons then.

Costs you nothing to preserve the original grouplist. You must be
trying to make an effort to complain.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2004 2:46:04 AM

"news.dodo.com.au" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> [...]
> close examination. Another indicator I use (and it may just be
> me that thinks this) is the installer used... InstallSheild
> packaged software is almost always real bad. FileAnt has had
> many bugs (most of which have now been ironed out) but never a
> file related one or one destructive in any way. Free software
> is almost always guaranteed to be unfinished or have a catch.
> I made FileAnt very un-annoying when it expires and you could
> use it free forever if you wanted to, I do not mind at all.
> The flip side is that paying for software helps authors with
> some of the costs for websites, getting it out to others and
> sometime spurs them on. Many authors write software at there
> own cost, physical/mental/monetary and not for big direct
> sales $, but for resumes, to explore computers, and in some
> cases to satisfy a base human need to enhance the tools.

Way cool program. Just right. Thanks!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2004 2:53:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You can use it for years without paying if you can live with
> the nag screen! Pay and eliminate the nag screen. I paid 6
> years ago and have gotten every update since then for free,
> some of them major revisions and even new versions.

I use the free version too. I had the paid for version but had to
do a reinstall and couldn't find my key/password. So i just press
the numbered button. It's no big deal and it is free.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 29, 2004 4:12:40 PM

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
95/98/NT4 had a more classic than classic search extension. It was dialog
based rather than Explorer Bar based. What XP calls classic is the 2000/ME
style.

And the band played ....
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/14/1084289883713...
"Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 13:42:26 GMT, "Brian Gaff"
> <Briang1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> | When you find one, let me know. Also, a 98 lookalike search facility
would
> | not go amiss either.
>
> If you want Search to have the "Classic" Windows look, you can specify
> that in TweakUI > Explorer. Check the boxes next to "Use Classic
> Search in Explorer" and "Use Classic Search in Internet Explorer."
>
> If you don't already have TweakUI installed, you'll find it on this
> page:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...
>
> Of course, this assumes you are using WinXP...
>
> Larc
>

> §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§
Which is rubbish as it actually takes longer to figure out what is going on!

Talk about reinventing the wheel.

Brian

Email: briang1@blueyonder.co.uk
__________________________________

---
June 3, 2004 12:25:27 AM

hxbarney@cap.rr.com wrote:

> I have used PowerDesk for many years, both the free and the
> pay versions.
>
> It does the job. I can really see what I have and can see
> easily what I have to do.
>
> The pay version has a great Synchronize tool that I find
> useful to move files to a flash disk for travel.
>
> Icons make it too easy to loose track of where you are.
>
> I send much time holding hands with several friends. I
> install the free version of Powerdesk, Belarc Advisor,
> Adaware, a free or pay anti-virus and then a firewall like
> ZoneAlarm or BlackIce,

Thanks for the reference to the Belarc Advisor. I went and tried
it and it is neat. Cheers!

!