Bios transfer

I'm about to switch my 8KHA+ motherboard out for another one, i had
bad caps.

I can still boot the old one.

I'd like to transfer my custom bios settings to the new board.

Can someone recommend the best way to do this.

I also need to know the best way to clean the artic silver off the
cpu. I was gong to use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

Thanks

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:58:43 GMT, Yoric <me@me.com> wrote:

>I'm about to switch my 8KHA+ motherboard out for another one, i had
>bad caps.
>
>I can still boot the old one.
>
>I'd like to transfer my custom bios settings to the new board.
>
>Can someone recommend the best way to do this.

Good trick. Why not DL your present board's manual as a PDF file,
print out the sections you've modified from the BIOS section of the file,
boot the system and edit the printouts while looking at your bios on the
screen. At least you'll know what you had setup.
Now if the new bios will have the same settings available or not is
a damn good question.

>I also need to know the best way to clean the artic silver off the
>cpu. I was gong to use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.
That'll work fine. Go with a lint free cloth before putting the new
AS and heatsink on tho.
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 22:12:47 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord)
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:58:43 GMT, Yoric <me@me.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm about to switch my 8KHA+ motherboard out for another one, i had
>>bad caps.
>>
>>I can still boot the old one.
>>
>>I'd like to transfer my custom bios settings to the new board.
>>
>>Can someone recommend the best way to do this.
>>
>Good trick. Why not DL your present board's manual as a PDF file,
>print out the sections you've modified from the BIOS section of the file,
>boot the system and edit the printouts while looking at your bios on the
>screen. At least you'll know what you had setup.
>Now if the new bios will have the same settings available or not is
>a damn good question.
>

>>I also need to know the best way to clean the artic silver off the
>>cpu. I was gong to use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.
>That'll work fine. Go with a lint free cloth before putting the new
>AS and heatsink on tho.
>~~~~~~

Actually, the "new" board is also an 8kha+, I'm looking for a ultility
that let me save my settings to a floppy, then flash it to the "new"
board, but maybe i should write everything down anyway, just to be
safe.

And after doing a little reading, it looks like acitone and a coffee
filter will clean the cpu and hs.

Write them down on a piece of paper. It's your only choice. Seriously.

--
DaveW

"Yoric" <me@me.com> wrote in message
> I'm about to switch my 8KHA+ motherboard out for another one, i had
> bad caps.
>
> I can still boot the old one.
>
> I'd like to transfer my custom bios settings to the new board.
>
> Can someone recommend the best way to do this.
>

> I also need to know the best way to clean the artic silver off the
> cpu. I was gong to use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.
>

> Thanks

Spajky

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:58:43 GMT, Yoric <me@me.com> wrote:

>I'm about to switch my 8KHA+ motherboard out for another one, i had
>bad caps.

>I'd like to transfer my custom bios settings to the new board.

>Can someone recommend the best way to do this.

Bios ...
www.geocities.com/mbockelkamp
Freeware,

cmos93cd.zip (CMOS.COM)
search google ...

--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Write them down on a piece of paper. It's your only choice. Seriously.

Bollox

If you're swapping from the same board, (same revision?) just swap the bios
chips, I've done it a few times on Asus A7N8X, even rev1.04 to rev2 has
worked fine for me.

--
Ian

On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:21:26 +0100, "Apollo"
<REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> Write them down on a piece of paper. It's your only choice. Seriously.
>>
>Bollox
>
>If you're swapping from the same board, (same revision?) just swap the bios
>chips, I've done it a few times on Asus A7N8X, even rev1.04 to rev2 has
>worked fine for me.

Wouldn't removing it from its battery source make it go back to its
default settings?

On Wed, 26 May 2004 01:06:01 GMT, Yoric <me@me.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 May 2004 15:21:26 +0100, "Apollo"
><REMOVEMEian_dunbar6@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>>> Write them down on a piece of paper. It's your only choice. Seriously.
>>>
>>Bollox
>>
>>If you're swapping from the same board, (same revision?) just swap the bios
>>chips, I've done it a few times on Asus A7N8X, even rev1.04 to rev2 has
>>worked fine for me.
>

>Wouldn't removing it from its battery source make it go back to its
>default settings?

If they system settings are indeed stored on the flash chip (chances
are slim for a desktop system), that will work.

More than likely the settings are stored in battery backed CMOS
memory, which in recent years has been integrated into the southbridge
chip. In the olden days ( where CMOS settings were stored on a
standalone chip), i recall there being a backup utility that direcly
copied the memory area into a file.