I am currently considering building a new PC but heard that ATX form
factor was going to become obsoleted by BTX. If that is the case,
should I go ahead and build my ATX computer or should I wait for BTX
components to be available and build a BTX computer instead?

I'm willing to wait a couple of months or so but not a year so the
question really is how soon BTX cases, mobos, cards, etc will become
available.

Please advise.

Thanks.
(Email is invalid so please reply here.)

jad

Wait for BTX and buy an ATX for lots cheaper

On 24 May 2004 14:15:06 -0700, email_invalid@mail2world.com (Email
Invalid) wrote:

| I am currently considering building a new PC but heard that ATX form
| factor was going to become obsoleted by BTX. If that is the case,
| should I go ahead and build my ATX computer or should I wait for BTX
| components to be available and build a BTX computer instead?

Go ahead and build an ATX now. That's what I recently did. You can
enjoy it while the kinks are being worked out of BTX. I think you'll
be ready for another major upgrade by the time that happens — IF it
happens!

Larc

JAD wrote:

> Wait for BTX and buy an ATX for lots cheaper

::high five!:: :)

Nomad

BTX has been promised for a long time (in computer terms) now.
Remember, with anything to do with new computer technology, you DO NOT
want to be the very first kid on your block to try it. The processor
wars between INtel and AMD seem to be settling down for the moment.
Wait a year and see what happens.

>I am currently considering building a new PC but heard that ATX form
>factor was going to become obsoleted by BTX. If that is the case,
>should I go ahead and build my ATX computer or should I wait for BTX
>components to be available and build a BTX computer instead?

The meek shall NOT inherit the earth.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

I wouldn't go with BTX until / if it is established - I remember when Intel
first released the P4 and using all their corporate muscle to force people
to use a new case design for it, along with RAMBUS memory! Luckily
independent motherboard makers started to produce P4 motherboards in the ATX
form factor to cater for the masses of users with ATX cases, and look at it
now - all P4 are ATX and thankfully rambus is all but forgotten. I am
suspicious now of new form factors - is it really an improvement or just
the industry trying to generate more money for themselves? Another factor is
ecology - at present you have been able to re-use your ATX case when you
upgrade, just imagine how many millions of cases there are around the
world - it would be a terrible thing if over time these all have to be
scrapped and replaced with BTX. I bet anything that whatever developments
there are in mobos - PCI Express, SATA, whatever, will be made available in
ATX format but many of the mobo makers.
Just my opinion!

"Nomad" <etwin@home.com> wrote in message news:40b27c40.1446125@shawnews...
> BTX has been promised for a long time (in computer terms) now.
> Remember, with anything to do with new computer technology, you DO NOT
> want to be the very first kid on your block to try it. The processor
> wars between INtel and AMD seem to be settling down for the moment.
> Wait a year and see what happens.

We all tried Serial ATA devices with no problems...i certainly did and
ordered the first Seagate model when it came out.

As for BTX, i think one should wait at least 6-8 months, that way prices
will drop. When i bought my Seagate drive it cost me 215 Euro, you can buy
the same drive a year later for 90 Euro.

Not cool.......

Richard Dower wrote:

> As for BTX, i think one should wait at least 6-8 months, that way prices
> will drop....

Yes, the picture will become clear in the automn, and boxes with new
technology will be available on a larger scale for the Xmas business.
Then it will be the time to decide...

BTW - www.CoolerMaster.com offer CMStacker, a case covering both
standards: ATX and BTX - so you can build an ATX computer now in a
BTX-ready case;-)

Roy

Invalid) wrote:

>I am currently considering building a new PC but heard that ATX form
>factor was going to become obsoleted by BTX. If that is the case,
>should I go ahead and build my ATX computer or should I wait for BTX
>components to be available and build a BTX computer instead?
>
>I'm willing to wait a couple of months or so but not a year so the
>question really is how soon BTX cases, mobos, cards, etc will become
>available.
>
>Please advise.
>
>Thanks.
>(Email is invalid so please reply here.)

Do you need a(nother) PC now? If so, build now with current parts.
If you can hold off and see, then wait.

Ron

RAMBUS was more politic than technical. People loved-to-hate the
Intel/RAMBUS solution and revolted. In the end it was faster but still
lost. Current dedicated platfroms that require high speed RAM (i.e.
xbox) still use RAMBUS.

Ron

"GTS" <gts123NOSPAM@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:<I5vsc.473$Vp5.248@newsfe2-win>...
> I wouldn't go with BTX until / if it is established - I remember when Intel
> first released the P4 and using all their corporate muscle to force people
> to use a new case design for it, along with RAMBUS memory! Luckily
> independent motherboard makers started to produce P4 motherboards in the ATX
> form factor to cater for the masses of users with ATX cases, and look at it
> now - all P4 are ATX and thankfully rambus is all but forgotten. I am
> suspicious now of new form factors - is it really an improvement or just
> the industry trying to generate more money for themselves? Another factor is
> ecology - at present you have been able to re-use your ATX case when you
> upgrade, just imagine how many millions of cases there are around the
> world - it would be a terrible thing if over time these all have to be
> scrapped and replaced with BTX. I bet anything that whatever developments
> there are in mobos - PCI Express, SATA, whatever, will be made available in
> ATX format but many of the mobo makers.
> Just my opinion!
> "Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
> > On 24 May 2004 14:15:06 -0700, email_invalid@mail2world.com (Email
> > Invalid) wrote:
> >
> > | I am currently considering building a new PC but heard that ATX form
> > | factor was going to become obsoleted by BTX. If that is the case,
> > | should I go ahead and build my ATX computer or should I wait for BTX
> > | components to be available and build a BTX computer instead?
> >
> > Go ahead and build an ATX now. That's what I recently did. You can
> > enjoy it while the kinks are being worked out of BTX. I think you'll
> > be ready for another major upgrade by the time that happens - IF it
> > happens!
> >
> > Larc
> >

> > §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§

"Email Invalid" <email_invalid@mail2world.com> wrote in message
> I am currently considering building a new PC but heard that ATX form
> factor was going to become obsoleted by BTX. If that is the case,
> should I go ahead and build my ATX computer or should I wait for BTX
> components to be available and build a BTX computer instead?
>
> I'm willing to wait a couple of months or so but not a year so the
> question really is how soon BTX cases, mobos, cards, etc will become
> available.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks.
> (Email is invalid so please reply here.)

Hi Folks

Having looked around is there any danger of anybody actually producing a BTX
mobo, this year, let alone next year. TIA.

Yours Technomancer

Add @ntlworld.com to my e-mail address

In article <iNwNc.821$bi1.600@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>,
technomancer@ntlworld.com says...
> "Email Invalid" <email_invalid@mail2world.com> wrote in message
> > I am currently considering building a new PC but heard that ATX form
> > factor was going to become obsoleted by BTX. If that is the case,
> > should I go ahead and build my ATX computer or should I wait for BTX
> > components to be available and build a BTX computer instead?
> >
> > I'm willing to wait a couple of months or so but not a year so the
> > question really is how soon BTX cases, mobos, cards, etc will become
> > available.
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > (Email is invalid so please reply here.)
>
> Hi Folks
>
> Having looked around is there any danger of anybody actually producing a BTX
> mobo, this year, let alone next year. TIA.

All of the rumors that I've been hearing indicate that
while Intel is pushing BTX, the case-makers and others
aren't buying into it.

I think ATX will still be around for a while (or that
the overlap will last as long as AT vs ATX did).