WoW Mists of Pandaria Expansion Arriving in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Stop hating on the game... its a great way to play in big groups of people and have lots of fun... Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't play it. If you don't think its worth the money, fine, don't load the page and don't post about it.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Ever since I first saw the idea last year all I've thought is "Panda's.... for real?". I suppose a game that lets you play imaginary species like orc's and elves isn't going too far out on a limb with panda's... but it's CLEARLY not a move intended to keep western players but rather court eastern markets.

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]stopthe_bomb[/nom]Stop hating on the game... its a great way to play in big groups of people and have lots of fun... Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't play it. If you don't think its worth the money, fine, don't load the page and don't post about it.[/citation]

Wow is a very cheap hobby for how many hours of entertainment most people get out of it. I don't like it but thats besides the point.

Tomes

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
Benn playing 'this crap' now for more than 5yrs and have played on MoP beta. I have to admit. though I will buy the new expac. I'm more excited by GW2 right now >.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
If only I could play a Koala Bear. That would make me go back to the game. But a panda is all fail.

If you are going to let people play Panda's at least include female pandas with huge ****.

:D

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
Played the beta. This expansion will hasten the erosion of subs. I hated the talents changes in Cata, and they dumbed them down to the point where they are basically gone. They won't be happy till the only choice you have is Elmo or Big Bird.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Haven't played for a while now. Played for 3 years straight until Cata came along. It was because it was too similar to LK that did it in for me: Grind quests as fast as you can till you reach a certain level, then grind dungeons as fast as you can till you reach level cap, then hopefully ur in a active raiding guild and grind away raids for ONLY ONE DAY A FRICKIN WEEK. Then, when the one raiding day is over(because nobody wants to raid for more than one day, unless ur in a hardcore guild), you work on alts, Rinse and repeat....
LK, and Cata have this same formula, and if MoP doesn't break this, then... well...

a_tay81

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I don't play WoW so the news doesn't matter to me. But sadly it does mean HotS will be pushed into 2013 as their financial reports say only 2 games are releasing this year (D3 being the other of course.)

I swear 2.5 years for an expansion is flat out embarrassing for any game or company no matter how good it is, let alone the fact that it's gonna have

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]but it's CLEARLY not a move intended to keep western players but rather court eastern markets.[/citation]
I think that's a little too cynical, simplistic and perhaps even a little insulting to the Chinese.

The Pandaren have been around in Warcraft lore for years, though I personally wish they had just stayed an easter-egg in Warcraft III. This whole expansion just seems like a light-hearted joke to me, which would be more amusing if WoW players weren't stuck with it for the next year or three.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]oxiide[/nom]I think that's a little too cynical, simplistic and perhaps even a little insulting to the Chinese.The Pandaren have been around in Warcraft lore for years, though I personally wish they had just stayed an easter-egg in Warcraft III. This whole expansion just seems like a light-hearted joke to me, which would be more amusing if WoW players weren't stuck with it for the next year or three.[/citation]
It didn't start off as an easter egg in WC3. samwise first drew a panda character for his daughter. Other Blizzard employees thought it was a funny drawing and as an April Fool's Day joke in 2003 "introduced" the pandarens as the "5th race". The joke was one of their best and they stuck a couple of them into the expansion as a humorous thing.

They also used them later on as another April Fool's Day joke after WoW's launch for Panderan Xpress.

It just seems very odd with all the Warcraft lore not seen yet in WoW, they choose to put in an April Fool's Day joke. It does seem to be playing to the Chinese market which has traditionally been where a full third of WoW subscribers have been, but have been losing quite rapidly the past couple of years.

Considering as well all the content that was cut from Wrath, and especially in Cataclysm, this emphasis on panderans and mini pet battles makes it seem as if they have given up showing actual Warcraft lore inside the game. They had been showing it in the comics, but those were cancelled because sales got so bad. And what parts of the Warcraft story they are showing makes no sense. In Cataclysm they were going to get the war between the Alliance and the Horde going again with Southshore's destruction. Because of the lack of content done, this never really got off the ground. Now they are trying again by destroying another Alliance city, Theramore, to get it going again.

The problem is, lore wise this makes no sense. Theramore is a heavily fortified city, the Alliance would go all out in it's defense. Not to mention, Theramore's leader, Jaina Proudmoore, actually fought her own father for the sake of peace. Why would Thrall not come to Jaina's aide based on what she did for him? While Thrall has always been Metzen's favorite character, he has always written him as making poor decisions which makes the fact that he's always written as the hero just laughable.

I have a feeling that this expansion will be know better as, World of Warcraft: Jumping The Shark.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So Blizzard seem to think 9 months with the same 8 bosses over and over and over is fun, Ty blizzard for being so "entertaining" for the around 100 mil$ you get each month. (112,5 million dollar per boss in the end, greedy bastards!)

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]It didn't start off as an easter egg in WC3.[/citation]
http://i.imgur.com/k3geS.jpg
Check out the symbol on the Demon Hunter's warglaive. I don't know where it actually "started," but I know its at least that old. I couldn't even use that hero, because I found that so distracting after someone showed me.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]oxiide[/nom]http://i.imgur.com/k3geS.jpgCheck out the symbol on the Demon Hunter's warglaive. I don't know where it actually "started," but I know its at least that old. I couldn't even use that hero, because I found that so distracting after someone showed me.[/citation]
http://classic.battle.net/war3/pandaren/
The original April Fool's Day Joke.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/10/03/know-your-lore-the-pandaren/
From Samwise, the creator of the Panderans...
"Well, it started off, you know, a bunch of years back when I had a daughter, right. And, when she was born, for Christmas I usually draw a picture for my family. Like a personal one. And so I did, for that picture, for some reason, I decided to do like a panda guy because, actually, also like "Samwise," "Panda" is my nickname because I'm kind of a big hairy bear dude, but I'm not very fearsome..."
"...So, we made like a whole fake April Fools page with different units and all that and people, you know – we thought people would be like "NO WAY!" – and everyone actually liked it and when they found out it was an April Fools joke they were like "Aw, that sucks." So we've kind of just dropped little bits of panda stuff. Like I do that all the time in my pictures. I'll hide a picture of a panda face. Like it was on Illidan's blades, back in the day, just put it on there. See if anyone noticed. And they did..."

So once again, no, it didn't start off as an easter egg in WC3. It started off as a drawing for his daughter which then became an April Fool's Day joke and THEN it was some easter eggs.

Why are people so insistent that it never started off as an April Fool's Day joke in Warcraft?

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Well, all i can say is... Reserved already CE, that will be more then 100+ hours of game play for me so its totally worth it compared to other games.

namecnassianer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
So once again, no, it didn't start off as an easter egg in WC3. It started off as a drawing for his daughter which then became an April Fool's Day joke and THEN it was some easter eggs.

wildkitten thanks for the game lore. You are a player!

Like many, I have badmouthed this game recently, but I do have a lot of fond memories of the game.
What's that worth?

I can't believe how amped I was SWIMMING to Booty Bay just to get a fishing manual, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.