PCI Soundcard installation

Hi, I`m trying to install a new, cheap "Plug `n Play" PCI Soundcard on an
old Compaq Presario 5015 desktop with an existing ESS Audio chipset built on
the Motherboard.

There is NO provision for disabling onboard sound in the BIOS, however I can
"disable" the sound devices under "Device Manager'. All this does however is
leave me without any sound.

My problem is, after physically installing the Soundcard in the only
remaining free PCI slot (2 total), Windows 98 (not S.E.) does NOT recognize
the new hardware as being there upon boot! This is after disabling previous
sound devices via "Device manager"!!

Is there a jumper or something else to physically disable onboard sound
that I am missing, that could prevent the PCI Soundcard from being
recognized??
Or is there something else I am missing here?
I havent installed hardware on W98 for quite a while now, and am probably
spoiled by WinXP. Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks to anyone who would respond
Matt

what I'd do is find out the make/model of the card and search the net for a
win98 setup driver for it. I think if you find one, what happens is, you
run it, and that lets windows know about the hardware, and then the next
time you boot it builds a new driver data base and if its plug and play
installs it.

jad

In some cases, as long as you have the audio enabled in the bios,
windows won't see anything else. In other cases the PCI ends up in
'other devices' in the Device Manager. If you have any listings in
that category remove them. Boot to safe mode and remove all ghost
drivers for hardware no longer on the system,, boot it. If at this
time it still doesn't see the card.. You are in "Proprietary" hell.

"Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I`m trying to install a new, cheap "Plug `n Play" PCI Soundcard
on an
> old Compaq Presario 5015 desktop with an existing ESS Audio chipset
built on
> the Motherboard.
>
> There is NO provision for disabling onboard sound in the BIOS,
however I can
> "disable" the sound devices under "Device Manager'. All this does
however is
> leave me without any sound.
>
> My problem is, after physically installing the Soundcard in the only
> remaining free PCI slot (2 total), Windows 98 (not S.E.) does NOT
recognize
> the new hardware as being there upon boot! This is after disabling
previous
> sound devices via "Device manager"!!
>
> Is there a jumper or something else to physically disable onboard
sound
> that I am missing, that could prevent the PCI Soundcard from being
> recognized??
> Or is there something else I am missing here?
> I havent installed hardware on W98 for quite a while now, and am
probably
> spoiled by WinXP. Any ideas or suggestions ?
>
> Thanks to anyone who would respond
> Matt

First off thanks for your input regarding my question.

As I stated in my original post, there is NO entry or provision for sound
(or the disabling of it) in Compaq`s primitive and meager excuse for a BIOS.

Also, I have NO mention of "other devices" in the Device manager.

I had to pull the original Rockwell dial-up modem to free up a PCI slot for
the Sound Card, but I did do a search in the registry first, and deleted all
mention of the modem. I suppose I could do the same with the original ESS
sound?

I seem to recall somewhere in the dim past some old systems had a jumper on
the motherboad to disable/enable onboard items?
I tried to get some info on this from Compaq/HP but their site is more
confusing than my problem.

Matt

JAD wrote:
> In some cases, as long as you have the audio enabled in the bios,
> windows won't see anything else. In other cases the PCI ends up in
> 'other devices' in the Device Manager. If you have any listings in
> that category remove them. Boot to safe mode and remove all ghost
> drivers for hardware no longer on the system,, boot it. If at this
> time it still doesn't see the card.. You are in "Proprietary" hell.
>

> "Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi, I`m trying to install a new, cheap "Plug `n Play" PCI Soundcard
>
> on an
>
>>old Compaq Presario 5015 desktop with an existing ESS Audio chipset
>
> built on
>
>>the Motherboard.
>>
>>There is NO provision for disabling onboard sound in the BIOS,
>
> however I can
>
>>"disable" the sound devices under "Device Manager'. All this does
>
> however is
>
>>leave me without any sound.
>>
>>My problem is, after physically installing the Soundcard in the only
>>remaining free PCI slot (2 total), Windows 98 (not S.E.) does NOT
>
> recognize
>
>>the new hardware as being there upon boot! This is after disabling
>
> previous
>
>>sound devices via "Device manager"!!
>>
>>Is there a jumper or something else to physically disable onboard
>
> sound
>
>>that I am missing, that could prevent the PCI Soundcard from being
>>recognized??
>>Or is there something else I am missing here?
>>I havent installed hardware on W98 for quite a while now, and am
>
> probably
>
>>spoiled by WinXP. Any ideas or suggestions ?
>>
>>Thanks to anyone who would respond
>>Matt

Didn't you see the official factory web site to disable the onboard
sound card/drivers, and their replacement???

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=92945&os=20&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00006862

"Patrick" <pberry26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> JAD wrote:
> > In some cases, as long as you have the audio enabled in the bios,
> > windows won't see anything else. In other cases the PCI ends up in
> > 'other devices' in the Device Manager. If you have any listings in
> > that category remove them. Boot to safe mode and remove all ghost
> > drivers for hardware no longer on the system,, boot it. If at this
> > time it still doesn't see the card.. You are in "Proprietary" hell.
> >

> > "Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi, I`m trying to install a new, cheap "Plug `n Play" PCI Soundcard
> >
> > on an
> >
> >>old Compaq Presario 5015 desktop with an existing ESS Audio chipset
> >
> > built on
> >
> >>the Motherboard.
> >>
> >>There is NO provision for disabling onboard sound in the BIOS,
> >
> > however I can
> >
> >>"disable" the sound devices under "Device Manager'. All this does
> >
> > however is
> >
> >>leave me without any sound.
> >>
> >>My problem is, after physically installing the Soundcard in the only
> >>remaining free PCI slot (2 total), Windows 98 (not S.E.) does NOT
> >
> > recognize
> >
> >>the new hardware as being there upon boot! This is after disabling
> >
> > previous
> >
> >>sound devices via "Device manager"!!
> >>
> >>Is there a jumper or something else to physically disable onboard
> >
> > sound
> >
> >>that I am missing, that could prevent the PCI Soundcard from being
> >>recognized??
> >>Or is there something else I am missing here?
> >>I havent installed hardware on W98 for quite a while now, and am
> >
> > probably
> >
> >>spoiled by WinXP. Any ideas or suggestions ?
> >>
> >>Thanks to anyone who would respond
> >>Matt
> >>

> Didn't you see the official factory web site to disable the onboard
> sound card/drivers, and their replacement???

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=92945&os=20&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00006862

Patrick,

Yes, I did see this site and the first thing I did was to REMOVE these
devices under "Sound,video and game controlers" in Device Manager, but after
rebooting, they are "Found" and re-installed!
As I said in my original post there is NO provision in the BIOS to disable
the onboard sound which leads me to think there may be a jumper on the board
itself ?

I can`t seem to find the page (I once found) on the Compaq/HP site that gave
all the specs and distinctions between the various Presario 5000 (and 4900?)
computers. This page on Compaqs site gave blowups of the various components
on the motherboards and the jumpers on them.
Could you give me that direct link? I would appreciate it much!!

Matt

Mattrixx wrote:
> "Patrick" <pberry26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>JAD wrote:
>>
>>>In some cases, as long as you have the audio enabled in the bios,
>>>windows won't see anything else. In other cases the PCI ends up in
>>>'other devices' in the Device Manager. If you have any listings in
>>>that category remove them. Boot to safe mode and remove all ghost
>>>drivers for hardware no longer on the system,, boot it. If at this
>>>time it still doesn't see the card.. You are in "Proprietary" hell.
>>>

>>>"Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>>on an

>>>built on

>>>however I can

>>>however is

>>>recognize

>>>previous

>>>sound

>>>probably

>>Didn't you see the official factory web site to disable the onboard
>>sound card/drivers, and their replacement???
>>

> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=92945&os=20&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00006862
>

> Patrick,
>
> Yes, I did see this site and the first thing I did was to REMOVE these
> devices under "Sound,video and game controlers" in Device Manager, but after
> rebooting, they are "Found" and re-installed!
> As I said in my original post there is NO provision in the BIOS to disable
> the onboard sound which leads me to think there may be a jumper on the board
> itself ?
>
> I can`t seem to find the page (I once found) on the Compaq/HP site that gave
> all the specs and distinctions between the various Presario 5000 (and 4900?)
> computers. This page on Compaqs site gave blowups of the various components
> on the motherboards and the jumpers on them.
> Could you give me that direct link? I would appreciate it much!!
>
> Matt

Unfortunately, I could NOT locate the exact photo of the jumper on the
board... BUT, you can ask a tech question of the support staff!
I seem to recall some directions about jumpers inside of the case of
most Compaq computers... so that you can do the work, change the cpu,
add memory, or a hard drive...

The only Compaq systems I now own are a Deskpro 2000 and a Deskpro 4000.
So, I doubt they are similar to the 5015.

Also, the bios that is stored on the 250 Mb partition, at the beginning
of the hard drive, tends to restore whatever drivers we remove... upon
boot, right?

Then, searching for sound configuration leads one to this page...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00006862&product=92945&dlc=en&lang=en

and, it does discuss getting rid of a persistant (old/unused) driver...

This might also help...
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=92945&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00004001

But, after all, hang in there, and someone with a 5015 and the original
booklets, might answer this thread!

I think looking for a jumper on the mb is the way to go, I had a similar
problem on a old pc and that had a jumper setting to disable onboard sound.

"Mattrixx" <someone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I`m trying to install a new, cheap "Plug `n Play" PCI Soundcard on an
> old Compaq Presario 5015 desktop with an existing ESS Audio chipset built
on
> the Motherboard.
>
> There is NO provision for disabling onboard sound in the BIOS, however I
can
> "disable" the sound devices under "Device Manager'. All this does however
is
> leave me without any sound.
>
> My problem is, after physically installing the Soundcard in the only
> remaining free PCI slot (2 total), Windows 98 (not S.E.) does NOT
recognize
> the new hardware as being there upon boot! This is after disabling
previous
> sound devices via "Device manager"!!
>
> Is there a jumper or something else to physically disable onboard sound
> that I am missing, that could prevent the PCI Soundcard from being
> recognized??
> Or is there something else I am missing here?
> I havent installed hardware on W98 for quite a while now, and am probably
> spoiled by WinXP. Any ideas or suggestions ?
>
> Thanks to anyone who would respond
> Matt

Thanks Anthony,

Now if I could only find that damn Compaq/HP page I looked at earlier that
displayed the different Preario model motherboard layouts and their
components, jumpers and positions!!

I go to the Compaq/HP site and go "round and round" missing each time what I
once found there.

Matt