Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless USB connection stopped connecting

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 28, 2004 3:04:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Anyone have an idea to troubleshoot this problem?

Friend's pc using Netgear USB nic (ma111) stopped connecting with the
Netgear wireless router. Other pcs with a wireless connection to the
router work. This pc's nic is working properly according to WinMe, WEP
encrytion is enabled, pass code is correct but the pc still doesn't
connect to the router to obtain a DHCP address or by using a static ip
address. This WinMe pc was working properly but it stopped connecting
over the weekend.

TIA
May 28, 2004 4:52:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I just had a wireless USB key like Netgear's die on me, exhibiting the same
symptoms. It worked fine, then stopped connecting. The computer still
shows
it as ok and I can still access the options. Part of it fried, I guess.
Try connecting
it to other computers, then return it if it works on none.

Dave

"jaster" <jaster@home.net> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.05.27.23.07.00.871440@home.net...
> Anyone have an idea to troubleshoot this problem?
>
> Friend's pc using Netgear USB nic (ma111) stopped connecting with the
> Netgear wireless router. Other pcs with a wireless connection to the
> router work. This pc's nic is working properly according to WinMe, WEP
> encrytion is enabled, pass code is correct but the pc still doesn't
> connect to the router to obtain a DHCP address or by using a static ip
> address. This WinMe pc was working properly but it stopped connecting
> over the weekend.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b F Wireless
May 28, 2004 6:25:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

>Anyone have an idea to troubleshoot this problem?
>
>Friend's pc using Netgear USB nic (ma111) stopped connecting with the
>Netgear wireless router. Other pcs with a wireless connection to the
>router work. This pc's nic is working properly according to WinMe, WEP
>encrytion is enabled, pass code is correct but the pc still doesn't
>connect to the router to obtain a DHCP address or by using a static ip
>address. This WinMe pc was working properly but it stopped connecting
>over the weekend.
>
>TIA

USB + networking spells Trouble.

Many USB items only work on the first port they were installed on.
Plugging into another slot on the same box will not work unless setup
is run again.

-------
Fight back!
http://tinyurl.com/hhez
May 28, 2004 6:43:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 28 May 2004 00:52:33 -0700, Dave while doing time wrote:

> I just had a wireless USB key like Netgear's die on me, exhibiting the same
> symptoms. It worked fine, then stopped connecting. The computer still
> shows
> it as ok and I can still access the options. Part of it fried, I guess.
> Try connecting
> it to other computers, then return it if it works on none.
>
> Dave

Dave thanks. I didn't think the NIC would have failed within 3-4
months. I don't know if trying the NIC on another machine was done
yet.

>
> "jaster" <jaster@home.net> wrote in message
> news:p an.2004.05.27.23.07.00.871440@home.net...
>> Anyone have an idea to troubleshoot this problem?
>>
>> Friend's pc using Netgear USB nic (ma111) stopped connecting with the
>> Netgear wireless router. Other pcs with a wireless connection to the
>> router work. This pc's nic is working properly according to WinMe, WEP
>> encrytion is enabled, pass code is correct but the pc still doesn't
>> connect to the router to obtain a DHCP address or by using a static ip
>> address. This WinMe pc was working properly but it stopped connecting
>> over the weekend.
>>
>> TIA
!