Antec Truepower 550 EPS -- question - Update!

JustinCase

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

This is an update of my post of 19 may 2004 with
the subject: "Antec Truepower 550 EPS --
question".

Today I bought the Antec. Being an EPS type power
supply it has a 24 pin power connector instead of
the normal 20 pin type.

My motherboard is a "common" Asus P4C800 Deluxe
with an even more common 20 pin female power
connector :)

However the 24 pin power connector is by design
backward compatible (search for the PDF file on
the ATX specification 2.2).
The only caveat is to have some space near pin 10
of the female connector to accomodate for the not
used 4 pins of the 24 pin male connector.

Asus **did** provide for this space. The 24 pin
male connector beautifully fits on the connector
on the board (if this space does not exist one has
to use a 20 to 24 pin adapter cable).

The published value of 36 A on the 12 V rail is
correct. It is *not* a typo on the web site as I
was afraid of. The box and the device itself
mention this value of 36 A also.

Some other comments: the power connectors for the
hard disks have a very positive "feel". Normally I
check every connector and I have to adjust the 4
contacts in the connector itself (being almost
loose). For the Antec this is not necessary I
think. The overall quality of the product adds to
this impression of mine, like the 230 V power
inlet which fits better than usual to the power
cord, the quality of the other connectors, and the
fact the product has *both* 12 V connectors: one 4
pin type and one 8 pin type. So this was not any
problem also (the motherboard has the 4 pin type
connector near the processor).

Just my 5 cents
JustinCase

JustinCase <no-address@none> wrote:

>This is an update of my post of 19 may 2004 with
>the subject: "Antec Truepower 550 EPS --
>question".

Does it give off the same smell that my True550 did for a few days
when it was new?

Kind of an ozone - burning plastic smell.
--
"A Sound Mind. A Healthy Body. Pick One" Mr. Hedge

"Justice Gustine" <justicegustine@aol.com> wrote in message
> JustinCase <no-address@none> wrote:
>
> >This is an update of my post of 19 may 2004 with
> >the subject: "Antec Truepower 550 EPS --
> >question".
>
> Does it give off the same smell that my True550 did for a few days
> when it was new?
>
> Kind of an ozone - burning plastic smell.

Most new PC components have a "burn in" period, it's normal.

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Justice Gustine" <justicegustine@aol.com> wrote in message
>> JustinCase <no-address@none> wrote:
>>
>> >This is an update of my post of 19 may 2004 with
>> >the subject: "Antec Truepower 550 EPS --
>> >question".
>>
>> Does it give off the same smell that my True550 did for a few days
>> when it was new?
>>
>> Kind of an ozone - burning plastic smell.
>
>Most new PC components have a "burn in" period, it's normal.

Yes, and it did diminish - but it was the most overwhelming component
burn in odor I have ever experienced. After a Google search of
"truepower burn smell" did I accept it's behaviour as normal.
--
"A Sound Mind. A Healthy Body. Pick One" Mr. Hedge

JustinCase

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004 04:27:32 GMT, Justice Gustine
<justicegustine@aol.com> wrote:

>"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Justice Gustine" <justicegustine@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> Does it give off the same smell that my True550 did for a few days
>>> when it was new?
>>>
>>> Kind of an ozone - burning plastic smell.

Yes it did. I left the PC on for the night. Now it
is almost gone (the smell I mean).

However I would not call it a burning plastic
smell. It's something in the printed circuit
board or the cleaning fluids or such. Motherboards
have the same.

I know the smell very well. Nothing to worry
about. In contrary :) I hate stores that sell
me a product that has been sold before without
telling me (e.g. the first buyer had some problems
and brought it back to the store). In the meantime
what has happened to it? Such products can not be
trusted anymore. I have had bad experiences with
this. But this smell more or less proves to me the
product has never been used before.

(pardon my awfull english)

"JustinCase" <no-address@none> wrote in message

> However I would not call it a burning plastic
> smell. It's something in the printed circuit
> board or the cleaning fluids or such. Motherboards
> have the same.
>
> I know the smell very well. Nothing to worry
> about.

I agree...i got some new memory recently and that same "smell" was around
for a couple of days. It's like the PCB is heating up and because it's brand
new it gives off an odour.

Paul

Splendid

In article <g49fb0ps4fgei1qh46fm4um0dhjaghmnso@4ax.com>,
justicegustine@yahoo.com wrote:

> JustinCase <no-address@none> wrote:
>
> >This is an update of my post of 19 may 2004 with
> >the subject: "Antec Truepower 550 EPS --
> >question".
>
> Does it give off the same smell that my True550 did for a few days
> when it was new?
>
> Kind of an ozone - burning plastic smell.

There are two smells available now from our friends at Antec.
There is a chlorinated hydrocarbon like smell in the wrapping
around the outside of the power supply, when you open the box.
I can't quite identify what the solvent might be, but the
odor is there.

The second smell is more annoying, and depending on your luck,
will get more or less rancid as time goes by.

I lucked out, and bought a small 40mm ceramic bearing fan
before Christmas, and that fan had the same smell as the
Antec burning plastic. As I had need to bore out the mounting
holes on the fan plastic body, and the plastic shavings didn't
smell, this leaves the lubricating oil on the fan as a
possible source of the smell.

That smell isn't as bad on the Antec 480W I just bought.

No manufacturer in N.A. would let product leave the factory like
that. There would be a revolt on the manufacturing line, if
the factory floor was filled with that smell.

Paul

JustinCase

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

On Sat, 29 May 2004 19:17:16 -0400,
nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

[...]
>That smell isn't as bad on the Antec 480W I just bought.
>
>No manufacturer in N.A. would let product leave the factory like
>that. There would be a revolt on the manufacturing line, if
>the factory floor was filled with that smell.
>
> Paul

Hmmm yes.

BTW the air coming out is warm (because of the
automated fan speed).
I would like to set the fan speed a little higher.
(2 fans)

Do you by chance know of any adjustment screw I
can turn, inside the PSU? (if your PSU has one
that would be a clue for me). I'm experienced
with these devices.

Or is this speed non-adjustable...?? In that case
I'm going to search for the resistor that controls
it.

TIA
"JustinCase"

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

yeah i agree, it's just like my farts when they are new, the smell just
hangs around for a while after first letting rip and when i been farting
constantly for a few hours in the same room and go and make a cuppa char and
the air freshner out.

there is no inside power supply adjustment and its highly advised that
you do not open the box. the fan speed is probably controlled by RC
circuits that most likely (because its cheaper) not adjustable.

==============

DaveinOlyWa wrote:
> there is no inside power supply adjustment and its highly advised that
> you do not open the box. the fan speed is probably controlled by RC
> circuits that most likely (because its cheaper) not adjustable.
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

seconded. if you *really* want to manually control fan speeds then use a
baybus controller : don't recommend touching the insides of PSUs though.

ric h

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:44:53 GMT, Justice Gustine
<justicegustine@aol.com> wrote:

>> This is an update of my post of 19 may 2004 with
>> the subject: "Antec Truepower 550 EPS --
>> question".
>
> Does it give off the same smell that my True550
> did for a few days when it was new?

That smell is normal.