Boot from CF card reader?

Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for floppy
but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA K8M800
chipset.

Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?

"David Rowell" <dorowellat@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for floppy
> but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA K8M800
> chipset.
>
> Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?

You can make boot CDs.

terabyteunlimited . com

David Rowell wrote:
> Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for floppy
> but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA K8M800
> chipset.
>
> Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?

What about booting from a usb drive?

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

"David Rowell" <dorowellat@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for floppy
> but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA K8M800
> chipset.
>
> Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?

It would depend on how the card reader is plugged in. Most use a USB header,
in which case it is possible to boot from a card.

hamman

spodosaurus wrote:
> David Rowell wrote:
>
>> Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for
>> floppy
>> but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA K8M800
>> chipset.
>>
>> Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?
>>

> What about booting from a usb drive?

Having had a VERY quick browse througha couple of google searches, I'd
say that your motherboard can probably boot from the card reader and
that using either a USB flash drive or the card reader will work fine.
Please consult your motherboard manual to confirm whether it will boot
from the card reader.

HTH,

Ari

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...

THANKS GUYS!
One likely MB manual sorta indicates that I might be able to - how's that
for definite?
Just checked out how to make boot CD - that works anyway.
Now I can quit worrying!

"David Rowell" <dorowellat@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for floppy
> but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA K8M800
> chipset.
>
> Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?

"David Rowell" <dorowellat@localnet.com> wrote in message
> Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for floppy
> but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA K8M800
> chipset.
>
> Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?

I am aware of two things that require a floppy on A: These apply to Win2KP.
I don't know about XP, etc .
1. Additional drivers such as the SATA driver must be loaded from A: .
2. Your Emergency Repair Disk must be on A:

"David Rowell" <dorowellat@localnet.com> wrote in

> Planning system using Antec Aria SFF case. It has no provision for
> floppy but has front mounted 8 in 1 card reader. MOBO will have VIA
> K8M800 chipset.
>
> Can I get by without a floppy? Can I make emergency boot from a card?

You can download a boot cd iso (51 megs compressed)with LOTS of utilities
from:

ultimatebootcd.com

Tmana